Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Last-Minute Suggestions for Films

kingrat

By now, a number of films have been announced, and many more are in the process. However, maybe it's not too late to suggest another film or two if there are openings, especially films related to the Style theme.

MGM costume designer truly outdid himself with the costumes for *DIANE*, a mid-1950s historical film in which Lana Turner plays Diane de Poitiers. A new scene means a fabulous new creation. Marisa Pavan, as the young Catherine de Medici, wears some beautiful gowns as well. This is a reasonably good historical drama (nicely reviewed by our allaboutlana at imdb), and with Lana, Marisa, the handsome young Roger Moore, and Walter Plunkett's costumes, it certainly has style. The digitized print shown in the last year or so by TCM was outstanding.

Another suggestion: 2012 will be the 50th anniversary of Joseph Losey's *Eva* (aka *Eve*). This film had a troubled post-production history, with the producers insisting on a radically shorter version than Losey wanted. The cinematography of Gianni di Venanzo, who shot this between *L'Eclisse* and *8 1/2,* and the set designs of Richard Macdonald exemplify style. Shooting on location in Venice, Torcello, and Rome didn't hurt, and Losey's direction, if sometimes tending to the arty and mannered, is nothing if not stylish. And did I mention Jeanne Moreau? This film will not be to every taste, but it's very much worth seeing.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we had the William and Kate "royal wedding" actually take place during the festival last year (commemorated with the movie of the same title with Jane Powell), there's another major event will take place during the festival -- the 100th anniversary (to the day) of the sinking of the Titanic on April 12, 1912. The official *Titanic* *100* web site (http://www.titanic100.ca/about/ ) lists 17 movies having been made about the tragedy, the most famous, of course, being 1997's *Titanic* with Kate Winslet.

Perhaps TCM will want to commemorate the event with a showing of *A Night to Rembember (1958)*, with David McCallum in attendance if he can peel himself away from the set of NCIS. I was hoping to save him for *The Great Escape* (50th anniversary 2013), but maybe he can do double duty at the FF next year. Titanic also fits in with the "style" theme -- or at least the 1997 version did -- of high fashion.

Any thoughts?

Cinecrazy DC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm delighted with the latest announcement of films and talent to be at this year's Festival-thanks, TCM!

As Marsha Hunt is going to be there for Raw Deal, why not pair her with Ann Rutherford (who always attends the opening gala) and have a showing of Pride and Prejudice, with both being interviewed? This film is a great pick for its production values.

*"As Marsha Hunt is going to be there for "Raw Deal", why not pair her with Ann Rutherford (who always attends the opening gala) and have a showing of "Pride and Prejudice", with both being interviewed? This film is a great pick for its production values."* - countessdelave

Oooh. Very good suggestion, Countess. I do enjoy *Pride And Prejudice* a lot.

I don't know if "Art Direction" will be featured in the "Style" focus of the 2012 FF. If it is, great, But if not, it should be part of a future FF.

I also have a fascination with the Matte Painting "technology" and would love to see an interesting presentation on the use of that technique some day.

Hope you are well. Lynn always passes along your greetings.

Kyle In Hollywood

> I also have a fascination with the Matte Painting "technology" and would love to see an interesting presentation on the use of that technique some day.

Chief,

One of the best matte painters was Peter Ellenshaw (Albert Whitlock was another). Ellenshaw's son, Harrison, is a terrific speaker, especially when talking about his father and the work he did on films.

He would be great for a Club TCM presentation.

Thank you, Kyle. I look forward to seeing you again in April.

Matte painting, hmm. That sounds great. There are so many aspects of Production Style that could be explored. I love the idea of the exploring the world of the "studio build up" and marketing with the beautiful movie stills (Hurrell and others), posters, etc. And, of course, the tie-in with studios and mainstream fashion. I think of the home sewing patterns, purporting a style made famous by Olivia De Havilland, Alexis Smith or many other stars. The average person could create "movie star" style. Speaking of Olivia: I believe that she was an early Jantzen or Catalina swimwear model, before her film career. There's also the selling of knock-off frocks in department stores and the Sears catalogue. The famous example is Adrian's "Letty Lynton" dress. Perhaps more people saw a copy of the famous dress than saw the film.

Countess, that was a wonderful suggestion about Ann Rutherford and Marsha Hunt and their connection with Jane Austen's/David O. Selznick's *Pride and Prejudice*.

And I am also impressed with your salient comments concerning Hollywood fashion, its influence on the pattern-making industry, and international fashion in general. Thank you for your "STYLISH" savoir faire...

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance Sean Ferrer might introduce any of Audrey Hepburn's films? His 2003 book "Audrey Hepburn: An Elegant Spirit" was an enjoyable personal biography about his mother and her contributions to UNICEF.

To visit the official site for the Audrey Hepburn's Children's Fund organized by Sean Ferrer, follow this link: http://www.audreyhepburn.com/

I think Sean Ferrer would be a perfect speaker for any of the Audrey Hepburn films being shown. Nice choice, SueSue.

Now, anyone have an idea for a film screening appropriate for the "Friday The 13th" that occurs during the FF? (And I don't mean to suggest the film of the same name.) I don't know of a "perfect film" for the day myself. I haven't a clue. I am just throwing it out there.

And hasn't the schedule of Travis Banton films been "skimpy" so far? What would you like to see?

Kyle In Hollywood

Hey, good suggestion, Countess, on screening *Pride and Prejudice* with Marsha Hunt and Ann Rutherford in attendance. Just watched it again last night and thought this would be a great choice for the festival theme of Production Design.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings