Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

King of Kings

migsly

King of Kings is my favorite movie of all time. So I was surprised to hear what Ben Mankiewicz had to say about it after it played. He said it got *awful* reviews at the time and he cited one that didn't make a bit of sense. It sounded more like his personal point of view, being a Jew. He ended by saying that Jeffrey Hunter didn't look anything like the real Jesus. How in the heck would *he* know what the real Jesus looked like? What a dope.

Either it was Mankiewicz's personal bashing of the film or whoever wrote the prompter he was reading.

Either way, TCM has lost all my respect because of this idiot's appraisal of a very wonderful, well-done movie.

Edited by: migsly on Dec 25, 2011 8:08 PM

Yes, the picture did get negative reviews from the press when first released. Some added that it should have been called I WAS A TEENAGE JESUS since Jeffrey Hunter was cast in the title role. I prefer this one to the very reverential and deadly dull GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD.

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}Yes, the picture did get negative reviews from the press when first released. Some added that it should have been called I WAS A TEENAGE JESUS since Jeffrey Hunter was cast in the title role. I prefer this one to the very reverential and deadly dull GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD.

Really Edgecliff?! You're sayin' you didn't appreciate all the big star cameos in TGSET???

Wow! And here I've always felt that there's that one big pay-off near the end of it that makes sittin' through that bore almost worthwhile!

Uh huh, it's the part here big Duke Wayne as the Roman Centurion stammers out the line, "“Truly this man was the son of God...Pilgrim!"

(...okay, okay...so he doesn't say "Pilgrim"...but STILL, like I was sayin' here, seein' that alone ALMOST made watchin' that movie all worthwhile.......Pilgrim!) ;) :^0

> King of Kings is my favorite movie of all time. So I was surprised to hear what Ben Mankiewicz had to say about it after it played. He said it got *awful* reviews at the time and he cited one that didn't make a bit of sense. *It sounded more like his personal point of view, being a Jew*.

Well, what a lovely bit of anti-Semitism you've just injected to get everyone here into the true Christmas spirit. You probably stage yearly passion plays at your local fundamentalist church.

Ben's text was merely reporting what was the prevailing critical response to the film at the time of its release (or maybe you think that all the critics back then were Jews eager to sharpen their knives and spikes on the cinematic Jesus). It really isn't a very good or coherent movie, though you're certainly entitled to like its rather simplistic, cartoonish approach if that's your wont.

As for

> He ended by saying that Jeffrey Hunter didn't look anything like the real Jesus. How in the heck would *he* know what the real Jesus looked like? What a dope.

One thing no credible scholar or theologian thinks is that Jesus was a blue-eyed, Nordic figure with shaved armpits. Even most of your fellow anti-Semites can agree on that.

> You probably stage yearly passion plays at your local fundamentalist church.

What a typical liberal hypocrite.

> It really isn't a very good or coherent movie

If you thought this movie wasn't "coherent," then you are worse off than I thought.

> Even most of your fellow anti-Semites can agree on that.

See my first response.

In response to "migsly" what makes you think Ben Mankiewicz is Jewish?

Last names endng in "cz" are Polish. Last names ending in "tz" are Jewish.

I have many relatives whose last names end in "cz" and they are all Polish Catholics.

Edited by: midnight08 on Dec 27, 2011 12:54 AM

I don't know about the critics at the time saying that blasphemous baloney about the film being an "I was a Teen-age Jesus" movie.

My beef is that old Ben only made reference about that stupid line. Too bad he didn't say anything *interesting* like the fact that Jeffrey Hunter played the part of Jesus so convincingly that the other cast members wouldn't smoke or cuss around him on the set.

> What a typical liberal hypocrite. If you thought this movie wasn't "coherent," then you are worse off than I thought. See my first response.

The Mankieiwcz family are Jewish, in origin, at least, but that's beside the point. Migsly has no argument to make about KING OF KINGS' merits as a film; he can only blame any and all criticism of it on "the Jews," apparently reasoning that that's tantamount to criticism of Christianity.

It's a tack so childish and ludicrous that it's almost funny but, as the above title-bar indicates, it sets this thread and discussion on a very slippery slope.

That libel was the engine that drove the Third Reich to murder six-million Jews, and tens of millions more who failed to measure up to its standards of racial purity.

This is a valid thread on an important subject, one that should neither be locked nor deleted; it's this Migsly who should be banned from the site permanently, and I call on the Administrator to do so.

Ya know Sprocket, if migsly here thinks YOU are a "liberal hypocrite", I can just imagine how the guy feels about ME and my earlier shot at John Wayne's acting ability, HUH?!

:^0

Hey migsly, DUDE!!! News flash here, Bro! There is NOTHING "blasphemous" about criticizing a friggin' movie, EVEN if that movie happens to be about a religious figure. GOT IT?! I mean, did Sprocket say somethin' like, "Jesus was a fraud" or somethin' like THAT? NO, he didn't. Now, THAT might've constituted "blasphemy", my friend. He merely was pointing out that many movie critics thought *King of Kings* wasn't as well made as maybe the subject matter might have called for, AND that Jeffery Hunter might've been miscast as Jesus....THAT'S ALL!!!!!!!!

Soooooo, lighten up here dude, and maybe try and take a page out of Jesus's book and become a little bit more freakin' tolerant YOURSELF...huh???!!!

(...ya know folks, the more I see of people like migsly here, the more I thank God that I'm Agnostic...well, that is of course IF there IS a God!!!)

:^0

Edited by: Dargo on Dec 27, 2011 10:20 AM

*Migsly,*

*Thank you for participating in the TCM Message Boards. As you know, when you signed up, you agreed to abide by the TCM Message Boards Code of Conduct.*

*Whatever your complaint about the information Ben spoke of after the airing of "King of Kings," his personal religious beliefs have no bearing on the information he is given to present on TCM, and are no one's business but his own. Calling him out because you believe he is a Jew, a Christian, a Heathen or even a Smurf is not acceptable behavior. And because you read the Code of Conduct, you already knew that.*

*Posting questions or criticisms about information broadcast on TCM is one of the reasons this forum exists. But, anyone who posts here will abide by the Code of Conduct.*

*Believe me.*

I've always thought that the line mocking Jeffrey Hunter in King

of Kings, I Was a Teenage Jesus, was one of the funniest to

come out of Tinsel Town. A bit tasteless yes, but still funny.

It played off recent moves like I Was a Teenage Werewolf. On

the other hand, since Jesus died in his early thirties, it's hard

to complain that Jeff was too young for the role.

Ray Bradbury (uncredited) wrote the narration that Orson Welles

(uncredited) spoke. Supposedly, the producer couldn't figure out how

the movie should end and Ray said something like Have you tried

reading the Bible? Don't know if that's a true story or not, but either

way, it's a great line.

"God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for

oppression and bloodshed." Luis Bunuel.

No, not really, and certainly not polite.

> Migsly says right up front that 'King of Kings' is his favorite movie of all time. I think it's only polite to take that into consideration before arguing over his initial complaint. The very moment someone crosses the line and blames someone's ethnic heritage for the substance of that person's opinion, he or she has gone too far. Whether Ben Mankiewiciz is Jewish or Greek or Black is irrelevant, and "politeness" has been expunged from the equation.

There are those who think they can conceal and soft-pedal their bigotry in genteel, indirect language, but it's funny -- those who are being talked about always seem to figure it out. It's those who agree with the bigots, or merely turn their heads away while rationalizing that "it's only words" and not a lynching (cross burning and hanging in effigy being, presumably, a gray area) who never quite seem to grasp it.

Well, I have to say you have some well taken points there too, Sprocket.

(...though if you remember, I earlier said I was Agnostic, and so being one inclined to "fence sit" when it comes to issues such as religion, what the heck did you expect from me anyway, HUH?!) :0

:^0 ;)

Hi,

Saw "King of Kings" when it first came out.

Liked the music and bought the record (still have it)...

Thought Jeffrey Hunter was a sanitized version of what Jesus looked like, if he really existed...

Was much more interested in Viveca Lindfors and Rita Gam, although they didn't have much to do.

The 'Dance of the Seven Veils' was very much better performed by Rita Hayworth in "Salome".... This girl was pretty limp and not very sexy; and she was missing several veils (budget cuts?)....

Love Frank Thring here and in everything he's in... Throwing Daddy (Herod) down the throne steps is high camp and wonderful - just what an epic needs!!!

Larry

Larry, I also am very fond of the music from "King of Kings." Like you, I bought the original LP of the soundtrack and still have it, although I also have the CD, which contains a lot more music. In fact, I think this is a better score than "Ben Hur", also composed by Rosza.

Terrence.

> {quote:title=Sprocket_Man wrote:}{quote}Miklos Rozsa ("z" before "s").

Who, coincidentally, ALSO taught English to Tibetans...right Sprocket?! ;)

(...or was that to Tahitians?...I'm not really sure about that one!)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings