Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

GreatMoviesFan

I just saw this movie for the first time and I LIKED IT, but my brother and I argue over whether it's funny when Richard Dreyfuss is throwing bricks and trees and garbage cans in through his window and climbing in through the window and pulling the ladder in behind him. I found it funny as hell and laughed myself sick, he disagrees. Can anybody else comment?

The first time I saw it was in 1983 when I bought the Special Edition release of the videodisc with additional scenes not shown with the original 1977 movie. This was the beginning of "Directors Cut" movie releases.

My 2 best funny scenes is when Richard Dreyfuss was outside dragging a garden hose with the kid saying dad needs some more help and the oversized Devils Tower in the living room. Wife should had been glad it wasn't a volcano. (hope this don't give someone any ideas :P )

There was a prop blooper in which one piece of the equipment using to collect data was a Morse AM/FM stereo panel.

I didn't like some of the base camp compositing that stood out like a sore thumb. Reminds me of "Star Trek V" Paradise city long shots.

The aliens were pencil neck geeks.

PDVD_443.jpg

LOL... if you find the scene funny- it's funny. You are the audience and if you and your brother are both laughing you must be right. :D

Hamradio... I was having a perfectly lovely day until you went and brought up "Star Trek V." I had almost completely forgotten that one...

Omigod, if you DIDN'T think it was funny, Spielberg would cry.

I've seen this movie upteen times, at the theater first and several times home viewing. And yup, watched it again last night.

It's a fun story full of fantasy, adventure and suspense. The special effects are transporting and the acting superb.

My only gripe is Schpielberg's manipulation of the audience.

Roy's charactor could have easily wheeled the wheelbarrow into the house via the garage, but no...he had to overdramatize the scene by having the charactor throw bushes & shovelfulls of dirt through the highest, smallest window of the house.

This film is FULL of that kind of schlock.

I feel sorry for Francois having to stand there making those stupid hand gestures to coincide with the 5 tones. What is THAT about?

The "jazz" conversation between the big flat panel (us) and the spaceship (aliens) that petered out with deep base tones. A cool effect that evokes emotion in the viewer....just don't THINK about it too much or you'll realize it's pap.

I know, I know, it's only a movie and supposed to be fun. It IS fun and Spielberg knows just how to make us enjoy the movie experience.

I did however really enjoy the music this time around. I'm not a fan of Williams, I generally think he's a hack too. But I really enjoyed his "themes" this time around.

And speaking of the spaceship leaving the musical conversation in bass tones....wasn't that a reprise of the JAWS theme?

I also really love this film.

To address the OP's main question: I suppose it is "funny", but I think it is meant to be more sympathetic. I think the Dreyfuss character is clearly making us laugh with what he's doing in that scene, but it's a nervous laugh, as we are seeing a man maybe on the verge of losing it, and losing it in front of his family.

I'm a big 1950's Sci Fi fan (*The Day the Earth Stood Still; Forbidden Planet*, etc.) and I think *Close Encounters* is probably the first film of its' kind that I felt could really happen in that way (as far as alien visitations.) I mean, I love the older alien visits earth movies, but *Close Encouonters* made me think for the first time this is how it might be. Then I also felt the same way about *Contact*.

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}Omigod, if you DIDN'T think it was funny, Spielberg would cry.

>

> I've seen this movie upteen times, at the theater first and several times home viewing. And yup, watched it again last night.

>

>

>

>

>

> It's a fun story full of fantasy, adventure and suspense. The special effects are transporting and the acting superb.

>

>

>

>

>

> My only gripe is Schpielberg's manipulation of the audience.

> Roy's charactor could have easily wheeled the wheelbarrow into the house via the garage, but no...he had to overdramatize the scene by having the charactor throw bushes & shovelfulls of dirt through the highest, smallest window of the house.

> This film is FULL of that kind of schlock.

>

>

>

>

>

> I feel sorry for Francois having to stand there making those stupid hand gestures to coincide with the 5 tones. What is THAT about?

>

>

>

>

>

> The "jazz" conversation between the big flat panel (us) and the spaceship (aliens) that petered out with deep base tones. A cool effect that evokes emotion in the viewer....just don't THINK about it too much or you'll realize it's pap.

>

>

>

>

>

> I know, I know, it's only a movie and supposed to be fun. It IS fun and Spielberg knows just how to make us enjoy the movie experience.

>

>

>

>

>

> I did however really enjoy the music this time around. I'm not a fan of Williams, I generally think he's a hack too. But I really enjoyed his "themes" this time around.

> And speaking of the spaceship leaving the musical conversation in bass tones....wasn't that a reprise of the JAWS theme?

>

Some good points made here, TikiSoo. Yep, I've always felt if years ago they were able to coin a word for Frank Capra's tendency to munipulate an audience's sentiments, then there had to be a way to coin a word for how Spielberg can often even top Capra in this regard also. And, of course they did with "Schpielberg".

Now don't get me wrong here, I love many of Capra's film and a few of Spielberg's films also, but yep, I think you've hit the nail on the head with your post here.

Btw, re the John Williams score being a "reprise of the JAWS theme"...I've always felt that THAT was a "reprise"(some might even say it was "borrowed") of the very beginning of the 4th Movement of Dvorak's "New World" Symphony No.9....

rayallen wrote:

<< Close Encouonters made me think for the first time this is how it might be. Then I also felt the same way about Contact. >>

I like these movies for entertainment hoping someone might get some inspiration from them in inventing some device. I like the very ending of "Contact" for that end of movie scene in which Jodie Foster try to explain the difference between space/time and existing in a singularity (or the biblical eternity which is exactly the same thing).

But by certain standpoints I have problems, such as any possible first contact. How do we know it might not wind up like "Independence Day" or the more brillant thinking of H. G. Wells in "War of the Worlds". We sometimes don't think that extraterrestrial beings may be no more than intelligent animals with technology not based on morality like humans. This is why Steven Hawking is quoted in saying regarding trying to make first contact if you are alone in the jungle, is it wise to call out?

The very long distances that hinders us from exploring far away worlds may be the same thing that protects us. Be careful of what one wish for!

There has been some scientific revelations made since the release of "Contact". First we have discovered with the deep space probes like the Voyagers in that general radio/TV emmisions gradually disapate into the overall background noise and even *directed* RF has trouble reaching far away detectors. There has to be a better and more advance way of communicating other than speed of light transmissions if we ever expect to make any contact.

Even if we would to get blueprints, do we have the technology to build it and how did they power that device in "Contact"? One could give Christopher Columbus blueprints for the Space Shuttle but what could he accomplish?

I have always felt that of the two big sci-fi releases of 1977, Star Wars and Close Encounters, that the latter was the better of two by a long shot.

And this past September I was finally able to see Devils Tower up close and personal. Although I did not see any UFO landing strip nor any UFOs.

The tower is an amazing sight, even more than ten miles away.

>This is why Steven Hawking is quoted in saying regarding trying to make first contact if you are alone in the jungle, is it wise to call out?

When I saw "The Day the Earth Stood Still" as a kid, I thought maybe aliens might be ok to deal with. But after seeing the "It's a Cookbook" episode of the Twilight Zone, I decided to avoid all flying saucers.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}rayallen wrote:

> Even if we would to get blueprints, do we have the technology to build it and how did they power that device in "Contact"? One could give Christopher Columbus blueprints for the Space Shuttle but what could he accomplish?

Well nothin', of course, ham!

But hey, now that I think about it, didn't Mr. Peabody do exactly THAT in one episode of his show after going back to 1492 in his WABAC Machine???

Yeah! If memory serves, I think the final punchline in THAT one was somethin' like..."Well of course Sherman! Why do you think NASA never named any of the space shuttles, The Nina, The Pinta, or The Santa Maria?"

(...hmmmm...but then again maybe not, huh?!) ;)

Just wondering, does anyone remember the Steven Spielberg 10 part mini-series "Taken" (2002)? Even though its based on the Roswell/abduction myths, its probually one of the best *produced* sci-fi "Close Encounter" type, made for television movies.

I only seen it once in 2002 and never again since.

steven-spielberg-presents-taken-162596.j

Unlike the friendly reception the aliens got in "Close Encounter", the government tried to shoot the spacecraft down in "Taken".

tumblr_ljuqvkEkgz1qc8b0ao1_500.jpg

> {quote:title=GreatMoviesFan wrote:}{quote}I just saw this movie for the first time and I LIKED IT, but my brother and I argue over whether it's funny when Richard Dreyfuss is throwing bricks and trees and garbage cans in through his window and climbing in through the window and pulling the ladder in behind him. I found it funny as hell and laughed myself sick, he disagrees. Can anybody else comment?

This scene made the movie for me. Funny, yes. To me, this scene shows that the film is satire, and that's really the only way I can appreciate it. Oddly, in the first re-release, they removed this scene, but it was put back in later.

I also laughed at what I call the "cosmic candelabra." :)

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> This scene made the movie for me. Funny, yes. To me, this scene shows that the film is satire, and that's really the only way I can appreciate it. Oddly, in the first re-release, they removed this scene, but it was put back in later.

>

> I also laughed at what I call the "cosmic candelabra." :)

I've never thought of CE3K as "satire" by any stretch. I've also always thought of the mothership as more of a ginormous intergalactic Christmas tree ornament (how it's often been referred to).

I hadn't seen CEofTK in about 30 years.... I don't think it holds up that well, though there are some very memorable scenes...

I thought it was funny, when the citizens were at the press conference, the govenment was denying ufos.... they said "where is the good photographic evidence".... one of the journalists said something like " we have our people out with cameras all the time, yet have never caught a car or plane crash on film...."

Today, there are whole shows (TrueTV) that basically show nothing but "caught on tape" car crashes etc....

Interesting that now that bascially everyone is walking around with a camera on their phone, that no one is taking photos of UFO's...... Anyway, the film looked very 1970's. I was amazed that they were using rotary phones... made me feel old....

Darb wrote:

<< Interesting that now that bascially everyone is walking around with a camera on their phone, that no one is taking photos of UFO's. >>

Very interesting observation! Maybe because there is nothing to take or people finally coming to a conclusion that the human eye is easily deceived or whatever is in view can be logically explained.

With the Space Shuttle becoming history, the threat of abandoning the International Space Station, our down to Earth worries of the ecomony in which the tax payers now realize expensive man space flights are not justified might show people are becoming discourage about space travel in general. Common sense I hope is setting in, that space have too great distances to transverse.

I clearly remembered before the release of "Close Encounters" and the book (bunch of rubbage) "Communion", I have NEVER seen or heard of these long neck large eyed alien types before. A big jump from little green men (whatever happened to them??) Right after seeing "Star Wars" back in 1977, Jimmy Carter saw a UFO *after leaving the theatre!*

The cameras that interest me the most are security and police dash cameras that catches meteror re-enrties.

One of the best examples of photos and videos taken by people who were lucky to have one on hand were the Phoenix Lights in which that coverage lead to the explanation the following day of military flares dropped from an airplane during training exercises outside of Phoenix. The light on the right was the first flare to drop and the left the last.

I agree with you that the 70s look of the movies makes it look very, very dated. Even more so than movies from the 30s - 50s. Yea, that doesn't appear to make any sense but that is the vibe I get. I guess it has to do with the fact I lived during the 70s. The cloth and hairstyles. Bad! Also the color of the film looks somewhat washed up.

> I clearly remembered before the release of "Close Encounters" and the book (bunch of rubbage) "Communion", I have NEVER seen or heard of these long neck large eyed alien types before. A big jump from little green men (whatever happened to them??) Right after seeing "Star Wars" back in 1977, Jimmy Carter saw a UFO *after leaving the theatre!*

A: The word is rubbish, not 'rubbage."

B: Where did you ever get such rubbish about Carter's seeing a flying saucer after seeing CE3K? Jimmy Carter's UFO sighting occurred in Leary, Georgia, in 1969, eight years before he became president and the release of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS. He filed a report with the International UFO Bureau in Oklahoma City in 1973.

C: Even allowing for the questionable trend of shooting films with stifling amounts of diffusion that was so fashionable in the mid-late 1970's, the transfer of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS shown by TCM the other night was disgraceful. It looked like an old VHS tape. TCM needs to preview the transfers sent it by distributors, send them back if they're deficient, and demand replacements.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings