Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
acomixguy

Classic Cartoons on DVD

Hi Everyone, I am hoping to put together a library of classic (1900-1970) animation, including theatrical release shorts & features & TV animation as well. What I need are recomendations from you about what is available in high quality on dvd. As an example I have recently found the Thunderbean website and their collections of titles such as "The complete Cubby the Bear" looks very promising. Has anyone viewed these discs and how do they look? Any feedback on what is available and what you consider essential would be greatly appreciated!

The Fleischers' Somewhere in Dreamland, and the Ultimate Superman collection are very good, as are the Popeye boxed sets. Unfortunately, no one with the rights has seen fit to make a complete Betty Boop set. The Betty Boop compilations vary in quality. Her best toons are those with Cab Calloway, Betty Boop's Sno-White, Minnie the Moocher, and Old Man in the Mountain. Try to find one that has all three. If you find a DVD with Red Hot Mama on it, snap it up!

The WB Looney Toons boxed sets have lots of excellent classic cartoons. But, IMO, the way they are grouped together is an abomination. If only they had just done them chronologically, like the Popeye boxed sets were done.