Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WWII movies focusing on the homefront?

mvail

Hi!

Looking for WWII films made during the war focusing on "the homefront" (US or British) during WWII. I will be teaching a college course in propaganda as persuasion and want to use this as the theme for the course. I'm also interested in films from 1946-47 dealing with GI's returning home after the war (e.g., The Best Years of Our Lives). Here's the list I've complied so far:

Mrs. Miniver

Hail the Conquering Hero

Since You Went Away

The Human Comedy

Till the End of Time

Stage Door Canteen

Pin Up Girl

Thanks for any help you can provide!

>Looking for WWII films made during the war focusing on "the homefront" (US or British) during WWII. I will be teaching a college course in propaganda as persuasion and want to use this as the theme for the course.

These homefront films are about US and British people who had loved-ones engaged in the war.

Why would you consider these kinds of films to be propaganda?

Wouldn't propaganda be more like "Triumph of the Will" and the 1943 German version of "Titanic"?

First, thanks to everyone for all the suggestions so far. Will certainly check them out.

RE FredCDobbs post: I'm using "propaganda" in its broadest sense here. Propaganda is not inherently bad or evil, although we generally think of it in those terms. Propaganda is a concerted, organized effort to persuasively communicate a particular political ideology. These homefront films had a decidely political aim, namely encouraging Americans' continued support of the war effort at home. I hope I didn't offend you or others here by using the term. Personally, I love these homefront films. I think The Human Comedy is a terrifically effective film and one of Mickey Rooney's finest roles. The final scene in Mrs. Miniver in the bombed out church still puts a lump in my throat even though I've seen the film numerous times. As does the scene in The Best Years of Our Lives when Harold Russell is first reunited with his family on the front lawn of their home, and he can't bring himself to embrace his girlfriend. Powerful.

Again, thanks to all who have contributed. Keep the suggestions coming.

• 2 weeks later...

*" Keep the suggestions coming."* - mvail

I am late to the thread but I hope you see these suggestions.

Two WB films to consider released before the US entered WWII -

*Confessions Of A Nazi Spy* (1939)

*Sergeant York* (1941)

Both made by Warner Brothers expressly to motivate the American people into supporting US involvement in WWII.

Titles I gathered for a past online project.

Selected "Homefront" titles -

What A Blonde (1945) 72m RKO

Doughgirls (1944) 102m, WB

Swing Shift Maisie (1943) 87m, MGM

Rationing (1944) 94m, MGM

War Against Mrs. Hadley (1942) 86m, MGM

Priorities On Parade (1942) 79m, Paramount

B-Movie/Franchise Film "Anti-Nazi" titles -

The Lone Wolf

Passport To Suez (1943) 72m, Columbia

The Saint

The Saint's Vacation(1941) 61m RKO

Tarzan

Tarzan Triumphs (1943) 77m, RKO

East Side Kids

Ghosts On The Loose (1943) 65m, Monogram

The Falcon

The Falcon's Brother (1942) 64m, RKO

Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes and the Voice Of Terror (1942) 65m, Universal

Lassie

03:00pm Son Of Lassie (1945) 100m, MGM

-------------------------

If you are open to considering radio programming, here are some programs which you might find useful.

Also gathered for a past online project.

Radio Program Broadcast Sunday Evening, December 7th (Pearl Harbor Day) -

*Gulf Screen Guild Theater - "Between Americans"* (30min) - 13.6MB

http://www.archive.org/download/OrsonWellesWartimeBroadcasts/411207GulfScreenGuildTheater-BetweenAmericans.mp3

In response to the events of that afternoon, the program presents the Norman Corwin radio play "Between Americans" with Orson Welles.

Radio Broadcast, Monday Evening, December 15th

*"We Hold These Truths"* (60min) - 13.6MB

http://www.archive.org/download/OrsonWellesWartimeBroadcasts/411215WeHoldTheseTruths.mp3

Originally written as a celebration of the 150th Anniversary of the ratification of the US Constitution on December 15th 1941, this Norman Corwin radio production became a declaration to the American people of what the country was fighting for. At the request of the White House. the program was broadcast on the nation's four major radio networks simultaneously and transmitted by shortwave to all U.S. territories and military bases worldwide.

There are other examples from vintage radio programs - especially episodic series like "Fibber McGee And Molly" and "The Great Gildersleeve" - that I can direct you to if you are interested. These would "dramatize" homefront issues like rationing, scrap drives, civil defense, volunteer work and war bond sales.

Hope this is useful.

Kyle In Hollywood

>So THAT'S what it's called!

Everyone knew you were talking about a comma. The guy just likes to find ways to dig at people and insult them. Nothing is ever his fault, so he says. According to him, every one else is stupid but him. It's sociopathic behavior.

Have you noticed he's always correcting people, correcting their spelling, telling them that they don't know what he knows about the movies and that only he knows the truth.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings