Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DVR-ing a movie that stops recording before the end of the movie

paperstars

We "DVRed" *Murder, My Sweet* on 12/23 and were just enjoying it when it abruptly ended before the end of the movie! Anyone know why? How can I find out when it might be aired again? Or, at the very least, purchase it seoerately from TCM without it being in a set with four other movies?

I don't have a DVR machine, but several people have said here that DVRs are set up to record movies in the time slot they are scheduled to be in. But some TCM movies run a few minutes over that time slot. So, to record TCM movies you need to add a few minutes to the end of your set time slot. For example, if a film is shown in the schedule to end at 1 PM, set your DVR to end the recording at 1:05 or maybe 1:10.

To find when a film will air, and how it is available for purchase, or rather the reverse, enter the title in the search bar. It will bring you to a Search Results page. Find the movie you want. The right column will show what's available from TCM. Then click on the title of the film and it will bring you to its Web page. Under the title, it will list air dates. For example:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/86185/Panic-in-the-Streets/

If TCM doesn't have what you want, search the internet with the word "buy" with the title. Amazon.com usually comes up. But that doesn't mean you can't go to Best Buy, or Wallmart, or other place to look for it.

I think all DVRs have the ability set the start and end recording times beyond the scheduled time slot. Mine, from DirecTV, allows me to add 1 to 30 minutes (in 5 minute increments) at either end by just pushing a couple of buttons or manually set specific times like 4:53 to 6:17. You'll find out how to do that in the owner's manual. If it's from your cable company and you didn't get one just call or go to their website and you should have no trouble finding out how to do it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings