Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All About Eve

karenkdempsey

Just saw it for the first time and Im 55 years old!A movie that relies totally on conversation and responses, emotions and looks back and forth. The fasten your seatbelt scene has to be the most brilliant scene of all time.Love it Love it Love it. couldn't get up for one second because I didn't want to miss any conversation. George Sanders is positively perfect. Did he win an award for his performance? Wow, I'm so delighted to find a gem like this so late in life. Just goes to show you, you don't need Ben-Hur type movies that cost millions to make to make a perfect film. Love Betty Davis too.

thanks for the info on the writer and director, as I didn't catch that at the beginning of the film. I was going to say on the post that whoever wrote it put in exactly the right amount of conversation, there is not one single thing you could edit from this movie and have it the same.Wow I'm just blown away by this movie. Is there any other movie out there that has used so little props and scenes and so little action that could even compare to this movie? I am amazed by that. Kudos to Joseph M. Casting is perfect too.

Couldn't agree more about All About Eve . If Hollywood ever made a better film in the general category of "drama", I've yet to see it. What's also fascinating is to compare Anne Baxter's Eve to the Christabel character that Joan Fontaine portrayed in the 1950 film Born to Be Bad , a movie that came out just six weeks earlier. Both films feature manipulative young women who put on a small town girl act in order to fool the other women while they try to wrap one man after another around their little fingers, and while their roles aren't identical, the similarities of their underlying characters are striking, to say the least. If any of you out there haven't seen BTBB , it's showing here on TCM on January 30th, and it's definitely worth watching.

*TWELVE ANGRY MEN has even fewer props and action. I like it better than AAE, though AAE is a fine movie.*

Interesting, finance. Thinking about it, I would put TAM on the same level of AAE in terms of it being a well-made, extremely well-written film. For me I'm not sure which would edge out as the winner, though. AAE has moments of humor/comic relief whereas TAM is kind of intense from start to finish.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings