Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did anyone else dig on THE WIDOW FROM CHICAGO (1930)??

markbeckuaf

Finally getting around to this one from a couple weeks ago on TCM, and wow, it was worth the wait!!! It had been ages since TCM aired it last, and I loved it!!! Eddie G as menacing as ever as a gangster tough, and Alice White...wow!!! What a gorgeous dame!!! Sexy as all get out! Neil Hamilton was great in early talkies, wonder why he didn't stick. And the dames in this...OMG, talk about sexy!!! This is a dangerous, edgy little pre-code gangster flick. Love it!

I haven't watched this one yet, though I did record it for later viewing.

The one I was most impressed with was I LOVED A WOMAN, where Edward G. Robinson is teamed with Kay Francis and Genevieve Tobin. Excellent production and way-above-average performances from these three.

The story, about a tyrannical meat packing tycoon (Robinson) who falls under the spell of a mistress (Francis) he intends to make into a world-famous opera star, was very reminiscent of CITIZEN KANE...and honestly, I could not help but think Herman Mankiewicz and Orson Welles borrowed considerably from it.

Mark,

I have had a recording of this movie for several years. I have never gotten around to watching it. Only haven seen the first 10 minutes or so. Isn't there a scene with Alice White getting ogeled from behind by an older gentleman? Or was that a different movie with her?

Anyway, this pic is for you!

AliceWhiteandPatsyRuthMillerUnspeakablyF

*Patsy Ruth Miller And Alice White- "Unspeakably Fatal Flappers!"*

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}Finally getting around to this one from a couple weeks ago on TCM, and wow, it was worth the wait!!! It had been ages since TCM aired it last, and I loved it!!! Eddie G as menacing as ever as a gangster tough, and Alice White...wow!!! What a gorgeous dame!!! Sexy as all get out! Neil Hamilton was great in early talkies, wonder why he didn't stick. And the dames in this...OMG, talk about sexy!!! This is a dangerous, edgy little pre-code gangster flick. Love it!

I'm horribly jealous. I had waited three monhts to record that one and my trusty DVR ate that film but managed to record all of the other Eddie G films that day. The film recorded but if you tried to play it the DVR seemed lost, like it was stuck in an infinite loop. There was no way to retrieve it. I guess I'll wait until it comes on again, like in the year 2020.

After seeing that movie the other night, which (unfortunately) I didn't record, I went to TCM's "Suggest A Movie" site. Here's what I wrote:

"I saw Alice White in "The Widow From Chicago" on TCM the other night. What a living doll! Please, more early thirties movies with Alice White!! Movies such as "Playing Around", "Sweet Mama", "Showgirl in Hollywood", and "The Naughty Flirt". Also a rerun of "The Widow From Chicago" would be nice, if possible. Thanks so much!"

Calvininme, I'm so sorry to hear this! I hope that two things happen: TCM airs it again much sooner than the last time they aired it! And that perhaps the WB Archives produce this flick! I'd love to see an Alice White box set, but I know I'm dreaming! If not that, an Alice White tribute perhaps all day in August would totally rock!!

Mark, it's nice to see that after all these decades a photo of Alice White can still trigger the

va-va-voomometer in you and, I'm sure, quite a few others. Actually, you didn't just give her a va-va-voom. She gave her a va-va-va-voom! If Alice can look down from her celestial home to read this thread, I'm sure there may be a little high pitched giggle.

After reading all the raves here on this thread and then finally getting around to watching The Widow From Chicago after three weeks, all I can say is (1) thank God for DVD recorders, and (2) Leonard Maltin is crazy with his 2-star rating. This movie may not have had the epic narrative of Little Caesar , but it's still one of the better pre-code gangster movies out there. Robinson is as great as ever, and along with others here, I also wonder why Alice White and Neil Hamilton didn't make it to a higher level.

Has TCM ever done a birthday salute to Alice White? They could make a nice packagae with *The Widow from Chicago, Show Girl in Hollywood, Playing Around, The Naughty Flirt, Sweet Mama, Employees' Entrance, etc.*

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings