Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"That's Entertainment" I, II, and III, very good movies

FredCDobbs

These are fun to watch. We get to see many actors, singers, and dancers when they were both younger and older, and also in their prime.

The rare scenes of the early films are very interesting. So are the out-take musical numbers, and different actors playing the same roles (one replaces the other).

Also, very interesting with all three of these shown back to back.

When I saw all three of the That's Entertainment movies were going to be on today - I wished I could take off work to watch them back to back. I caught the end of That's Entertainment Part III. And was not disappointed. Too bad That's Entertainment movies are not being repeated in the near future.

> There should be volumes devoted to MGM's other genres

*MGM: When the Lion Roared* is a multi-hour documentary that looks at the history of MGM and the movies produced under that banner from the silents through the auction of the early 1970s.

Yes thanks for mentioning that. But instead of something as comprehensive, I would like to see products that focus specifically on MGM's war films or on MGM's westerns. And since Time Warner seems to control the RKO titles, wouldn't it be great to see a few volumes with clips and interviews about the post-war noir.

The way they are presenting the 'That's Entertainment' series, they seem to imply that MGM's trademark was musicals. It was not. The studio's trademark was high-brow entertainment and glamour. This is definitely evidenced in the musical output but can also be seen in dramatic fare like MARIE ANTOINETTE and MRS. MINIVER.

Though if we are focusing in on the MGM musicals, then I really think there should be more research and discussion about the high-art of signees like Jeanette MacDonald, Lauritz Melchoir, Mario Lanza and Ezio Pinza. The musicals were not exactly catering to working class families. Producers like Joe Pasternak tried to elevate the genre, though I agree they included performers like Jimmy Durante in comic relief to sell some of this high-art to the common masses.

Good information in this thread. I too enjoy watching these for the same reasons others already mentioned and I am glad TCM aired it again. Last I saw them was around this time a few years ago.

One of the things I love most about TCM is the original programming and documentaries they air.

Has something like That's Entertainment been done for studios like Paramount, Columbia and Fox?? and not just with musicals? I remember seeing the Paramount Anniversary promo pics on Getty Images that featured many classic stars so I wonder if they did any specials around that time.

Would TCM ever air any specials that were documentary style but originally broadcast on TV??

I would be very surprised if films like That's Entertainment is causing you to neglect the other gems that were produced in the same period. It clearly didn't cause me to neglect the other movies MGM created during the golden era or musicals by other studios and based on your knowledge of classic movies I'm sure it didn't either.

Frankly I fault those that let marketing drive their behavior than the ones doing the marketing, especially in the Internet era where anyone with the will to seek information can find it.

As for the movies themselves the main thing I found interesting is when they showed takes from actors that were not in the final film.

>I'm old, retired, and watching "Love Crazy".

Oh, I thought it was because you're a journalist and you know how to waste time better than anyone, yet sincerely consider it "research". Also, I don't believe journalists ever retire, for they are chronically and incurably curious.

Only someone who's loves a journalist would risk that assessment...

>Frankly I fault those that let marketing drive their behavior than the ones doing the marketing, especially in the Internet era where anyone with the will to seek information can find it.

Hmmmmm... LOL

Edited by: TopBilled on Jan 1, 2012 2:21 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings