Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite "Ape" films, or Hominoid Stars of the Silver Screen

Swithin

The demise of Cheetah, whatever his pedigree and c.v., has obviously caused a frisson among members of this board. So let's talk about our favorite films with "ape" characters. The quotations are because I mean any ape-like animal, apart from humans.

Two of my favorites: Son of Ingagi (1940) and The Monster Walks (1932).

Instead of the obvious "Planet of the Apes" (DUH) films, I like to include a factual based movie in which apes are the center of the story.

"Gorillas in the Mist: The Story of Dian Fossey" (1988). This movie told the story of a brave woman whos actions help in the efforts to stop the poaching of gorillas. Terrible shame this is still a problem today. The gorillas are real ture life charactors in every sense and better than fictional films that doesn't portray primates in the best light.

11474488_gal.jpg

*Monkey Business* (1952)

I do not know why this movie is not well liked. Marilyn Monroe is gratingly horrible as one might expect. Cary Grant and Ginger Rogers are both wonderful and they more than compensate for her.

*Zoo in Budapest* (1933)

The chimpanzees are only background as I remember. It is a wonderful movie.

*Bedtime for Bonzo* (1951)

It is impossible to deny this is a classic of its kind.

> "Gorillas in the Mist: The Story of Dian Fossey" (1988). This movie told the story of a brave woman whos actions help in the efforts to stop the poaching of gorillas. Terrible shame this is still a problem today. The gorillas are real ture life charactors in every sense and better than fictional films that doesn't portray primates in the best light.

Ham, that is a terrific film. Her relationship and bonding with the Head Silver-Backed Male named Digit is very memorable.

In my top fifty movies...

Jake in the Heartland

Not a movie with an ape (although there's several I really enjoy but can't recall off the top of my head at the moment), but a tv episode:

Don't recall the title, but an episode of *Quantum Leap* with Scott Bakula had Sam leaping into the body of a chimpanzee in an experimental lab (space lab, I think). Brilliant and offbeat episode as Sam has to save the chimp from becoming the subject of a helmet impact test. The ape in the episode was not only an incredibly trained simian, but Bakula's performance in the episode was one of the best he ever did in the series.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings