Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

April 2012 Schedule

My guess is that within a few days we will begin to see which titles have been slated for April.

We do know that KING OF KINGS and EASTER PARADE are a given.

Personally my ideal Easter Sunday would consist of 100% film noir with an Easter bunny or an Easter egg worked into each and every plot.

Each year I cross my fingers hoping that they will show Universal's HARVEY with James Stewart. I love that film! And it's imaginary rabbit story is perfect for this holiday.

harvey_1950_poster.jpg

Robert Osborne mentioned last night that the SOTM for April will be Doris Day, and that Midnight Lace will be making a premiere as part of her tribute. Hasn't Doris Day been SOTM twice already?

Sometimes posters are able to provide old links of past schedules and tributes. I would like to see what Doris Day films were offered the last time she was SOTM.

Encore Westerns has been airing THE BALLAD OF JOSIE, but not in widescreen. I would also like to see WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT as it is not on DVD and seems to be one of the more hard-to-find Day titles.

Robert Osborne mentioned last night that the SOTM for April will be Doris Day....

I sure hope that this was some kind of an early April Fools' Day joke. Please someone tell me that it was. What's next, Pat Boone or Ricky Nelson?

EDIT: She was SOTM in 1995 and 2003, and part of SUTS in 2003 and 2004. I have to assume that 2003 was her 100th birthday or something.

Edited by: AndyM108 on Jan 2, 2012 1:49 PM

Thanks for posting that, but it's not coming up for me. Is there a way you can copy and paste the contents into this thread? If not, no big deal.

She was born on April 3, 1924. She's 87 right now.

My guess is that this will be an excuse to trot out all the Warners films she made early in her career. Some of them are quite good but get played fairly frequently.

I would also guess that MIDNIGHT LACE is the bone that TCM is throwing to viewers to make it seem like they have acquired more of the Doris Day films at Universal than they really have. We will get LOVER COME BACK again and MIDNIGHT LACE, but probably few others of her Universal catalogue...and those are the films she is most famous for, those romantic comedies with Rock Hudson & James Garner. She also made a few for Fox and they show up on FMC, so I wonder if they will air on TCM...titles like DO NOT DISTURB and CAPRICE.

I like Doris day but I will admit 3 times is a lot to be SOTM on this channel when you factor in the months when no one is SOTM (August, February) and the themes that are sometimes SOTM. I hope this time around they have access to films that haven't been shown before, or if so, often - like Pillow Talk.

>How about one they never show? STORM WARNING from 1951 with Doris, Ronald Reagan, and Ginger Rogers.

Since that's a Warners film and in the Turner library, I expect it will be scheduled in April. It is much easier for TCM to air it than those Doris Day films from Universal and Fox.

You're right...it seldom screens, and it was absent from Ginger's SOTM tribute a few years ago. Fortunately, it is on DVD. It's one of my favorite films from the early 50s. Ginger is great in it and so is Ronald Reagan.

> It is much easier for TCM to air it than those Doris Day films from Universal and Fox.

At one time, *Storm Center* had rights issues surrounding it. I don't know if those issues have been worked out but it is worth noting that just because a film is in a studio film library does not always mean that it can be shown.

*The Story of Temple Drake*, *The Constant Nymph* and *NIght Flight* are recent examples of films that were kept in the vaults for decades due to rights issues and only recently were those issues resolved (a big thanks to TCM for the major assist they provided in helping those films come back to us).

Other films in the MGM/RKO/Warner's film library still unable to TCM because of rights issues include *Letty Lynton*.

At one time, *Storm Center *had rights issues surrounding it. I don't know if those issues have been worked out but it is worth noting that just because a film is in a studio film library does not always mean that it can be shown.

*The Story of Temple Drake*, *The Constant Nymph *and *NIght Flight *are recent examples of films that were kept in the vaults for decades due to rights issues and only recently were those issues resolved (a big thanks to TCM for the major assist they provided in helping those films come back to us).

Other films in the MGM/RKO/Warners film library still unable to TCM because of rights issues include *Letty Lynton*.

I believe that may also apply to "They Knew What They Wanted," an RKO property TCM has never aired, even during programming honoring co-stars Carole Lombard or Charles Laughton. (I remember a UHF station in Philadelphia carrying it in the late 1980s.) Apparently there are now rights problems with the estate of Sidney Howard, whose Pulitzer Prize-winning play was adapted (and bowdlerized) for the film.

VP!9,

Two additional in this case Silent MGM films with-held due to copyright are SALLY, IRENE, and MARY (1925), and MAN, WOMAN & SIN (1927). Possibly THE GARDEN OF ALLAH (1927) as well.

Being that it is the year of the Paramount Centennial, maybe they will finally be able to get a hold of some rare stuff like STAGE STRUCK (1925), OLD IRONSIDES (1926), CHILDREN OF DIVORCE (1927), and Von Stroheim's THE WEDDING MARCH (1928). Not to mention the new restoration of WINGS out on Blu-ray and DVD later this month. Almost forgot, the 1923 THE TEN COMMANDMENTS has yet to pop up on TCM either. MANTRAP (1926) is out on DVD part of the new Treasures From The American Film Archive 5 set. So that could potentially be shown as well.

I'm not really sure why TCM has been unable to run Eddie Cantor's WHOOPEE (United Artists, 1930), and In Technicolor. To the best of my knowledge it has never been broadcast.

VP19,

Two additional in this case Silent MGM films with-held due to copyright are SALLY, IRENE, and MARY (1925), and MAN, WOMAN & SIN (1927). Possibly THE GARDEN OF ALLAH (1927) as well.

Being that it is the year of the Paramount Centennial, maybe they will finally be able to get a hold of some rare stuff like STAGE STRUCK (1925), OLD IRONSIDES (1926), CHILDREN OF DIVORCE (1927), and Von Stroheim's THE WEDDING MARCH (1928). Not to mention the new restoration of WINGS out on Blu-ray and DVD later this month. Almost forgot, the 1923 THE TEN COMMANDMENTS has yet to pop up on TCM either. MANTRAP (1926) is out on DVD part of the new Treasures From The American Film Archive 5 set. So that could potentially be shown as well.

Hope that happens -- I saw "The Wedding March" in the late '80s, and it's an exquisite film, with a splendid performance from the young Fay Wray. And who wouldn't mind seeing Constance Bennett and Joan Crawford in a film together (with Sally O'Neil) in "Sally, Irene And Mary"? (And just to clarify things, Sally does not play Sally -- that's Connie. Joan is "Irene" and O'Neill is "Mary.")

*My guess is that within a few days we will begin to see which titles have been slated for April.* - JM

My guess is that within a few days longtime member classicstarletsfan's announcement of the April schedule will be reported as a duplicate by somebody and will be locked. :-(

CHRISTOPHER BEAN (1933) is another held up with rights issues.

I thnk that THE SILVER CORD (RKO,1933) may also be tied up. I haven't seen it broadcast since the late 1980s.

VP19,

Well, I just find it inexplicable that the Photo-play Productions version of *THE WEDDING MARCH* which debuted on British Television clear back in 1998 has never made it to TCM. I posted a couple scenes on TCM CFU a long time ago. Probably almost two years. The Technicolor sequence, and "*Shower Of Blossoms"* Please go take a look see.

Terrific film. One of Carl Davis best Musical scores as well. It's To bad the second half of the story, entitled *THE HONEYMOON* is lost.I actually have three versions of *THE WEDDING MARCH* Gaylor Carter Theater Orgon. from the 1985 VHS release, another copy with the original J. S. Zamecnik Movie-tone track. Besides the Carl Davis one.

It's long overdue to be seen on TCM. The Criterion DVD has been long delayed. And no telling if that will contain the Davis score or not, if and when it is finally released?

>At one time, Storm Center had rights issues surrounding it. I don't know if those issues have been worked out but it is worth noting that just because a film is in a studio film library does not always mean that it can be shown.

I think you meant STORM WARNING. STORM CENTER is a Bette Davis film made at Columbia and it recently aired on TCM.

As for STORM WARNING, since it is on DVD, one would think it would thus be eligible for a cable broadcast. At any rate, I found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable, if not entirely far-fetched, movie. And I do recommend it, especially for completists of Ginger Rogers and Doris Day (they are very believable as sisters on-screen).

I hope they do show Storm Warning. I think it's the only Doris Day film I've never seen.......and no, I dont think they showcase her too much. She's one of the few surviving big stars from the studio era.....

According to some sources she will be 90 this year........(some list her birthdate as 1922, some 1924)

Edited by: Hibi on Jan 3, 2012 9:35 AM

Edited by: Hibi on Jan 3, 2012 1:41 PM