Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix to Groove into the New Year--Week of Jan 2nd!!

markbeckuaf

TCM Flix to groove to in the brand new year--Week of Jan 2nd!!

We sure had a TON of flix to groove to all throughout 2011 thanks to TCM and it's groovalicious lineup of uninterrupted classic movies!!! Greatest channel on the cable dial, bar none, and many thanks to all who participate in helping to make it so, which includes as well our great fanbase here on this board!!

The grooves kick off with my main man Brian Donlevy appearing in the 1947 THE BEGINNING OR THE END on Monday morning, and a daytime lineup that includes ROUGHLY SPEAKING (1945) with Rosalind Russell and Jack Carson, and Eddie G in OUR VINES HAVE TENDER GRAPES (1945), in one of his greatest non-gangster or tough guy roles!

Joseph Cotten fans ae totally grooving out on Monday night when he gets the the honors, in flicks like PORTRAIT OF JENNIE (1948) with Jennifer Jones and Ethel Barrymore and THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER (1947) with Loretta Young and the grand Dame Barrymore once again! The one I'm really looking forward to is the crime/suspense flick, THE STEEL TRAP (1952), as I've never seen this one before! Also showing up is NIAGARA (1952) with Marilyn Monroe and Jean Peters, as well as LYDIA (1941), with Merle Oberon, Edna May Oliver and my main man George Reeves!!

Tuesday daytime is all about Marion Davies, and wow, it's always a treat with so many pre-codes and 1930s flix in the lineup, including THE FLORODORA GIRL (1930), NOT SO DUMB (1930), THE BACHELOR FATHER (1931), with C Aubrey Smith and Ralph Forbes (one of my favorites!!), FIVE AND TEN (1931), with Leslie Howard, BLONDIE OF THE FOLLIES (1932) with Robert Montgomery, Zasu Pitts, Jimmy Durante, and Sidney Toler!! PEG O' MY HEART (1933) with Onslow Stevens and J Farrell MacDonald, OPERATOR 13 (1934) with Coop, Ted Healy, and Jean Parker, followed by Clark Gable himself with Marion in CAIN AND MABEL (1936), which also features Allen Jenkins, Ruth Donnelly, and Roscoe Karns!! And to round out the tribute, the 1936 HEARTS DIVIDED with Claude Rains, Dick Powell, Charlie Ruggles and Edward Everett Horton!! Also, don't miss the mid-morning short, ENVY from 1930!! Wow, great lineup!!

Tuesday night is devoted to "Women of the West, and features Gene Tierney along with Randolph Scott and Dana Andrews in BELLE STARR (1941), Babs Stanwyck along with Melvyn Douglas and Preston Foster in ANNIE OAKLEY (1935), and a passel of women ALONG WITH Robert Taylor in WESTWARD THE WOMEN (1951)!!

If you've been digging on TCM's airing of the mid-1950s anthology series, SCREEN DIRECTORS PLAYHOUSE, you'll be grooving to Wednesday daytime, when we'll be treated to more episodes, interspersed with the daytime lineup of flix, always with a tie-in with an actor/actress (or director). One of the flix in that lineup I'll be grooving to most is the gorgeous Evelyn Brent along with my heartthrob Constance Cummings in TRAVELING HUSBANDS from 1931---never seen this one before and it looks like a pre-code delight!!

Angela Lansbury will get the star spotlight treatment on Wednesday nights, and this week will be featured in a lineup including GASLIGHT (1944) with Joseph Cotten (hey, he shows up again, cool!), Charles Boyer, and Ingrid Bergman, natch!!!, THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY (1945), with George Sanders and Donna Reed, and THE HOODLUM SAINT (1946), which we were treated to during William Powell's tribute as well, and if you missed it, this one has a great supporting cast which includes my main man James Gleason, Esther Williams, Rags Ragland, Lewis Stone, and my main man Frank McHugh!!

Jane Wyman gets a nice block of flix tributing her on Thursday, Jan 5th, with READY, WILLING AND ABLE (1937) kicking it off, and also features Ruby Keeler and Allen Jenkins! This is followed by my main main Frank McHugh getting a rare top billing in HE COULDN'T SAY NO (1938)!!!, and PRIVATE DETECTIVE (1939) with Dick Foran and Morgan Conway!! Next up is GAMBLING ON THE HIGH SEAS (1940) with Wayne Morris and Gilbert Roland, followed by THE DOUGHGIRLS (1944) with Ann Sheridan, Alexis Smith and Jack Carson, and CHEYENNE (1947) directed by Raoul Walsh and featuring Dennis Morgan, Bruce Bennett, and Alan Hale!

Cinematographer Jack Cardiff gets the honors on Thursday night, with a 2010 documentary on his life and career kicking it off!!! The tribute includes WINGS OF THE MORNING (1937), THE FOUR FEATHERS (1939), THINGS TO COME (1936) and KNIGHT WITHOUT ARMOUR (1937), the latter with Marlene Dietrich and Robert Donat!! And concludes on Friday morning with the 1945 CAESAR AND CLEOPATRA with Claude Rains, Stewart Granger and the lovely Vivien Leigh!!

Friday daytime then picks up with a tribute to the very lovely and talented Loretta Young, who in the pre-code era was just drop-dead gorgeous and remained a knockout all throughout her career! We are treated to two of her pre-code appearances, the riveting William Wellman directed flick, HEROES FOR SALE (1933) also featuring my main main Richard Barthelmess, Aline MacMahon, Robert Barrat, and Grant Mitchell--if you haven't seen this one, highly recommended!!, followed by SHE HAD TO SAY YES (1933) with Lyle Talbot, Hugh Hebert, and Winnie Lightner!! This is followed by the somewhat rare and very excellent THE UNGUARDED HOUR (1936) with Franchot Tone, Lewis Stone, and Roland Young!!! Also included in the tribute are THE BISHOP'S WIFE (1947), THE STRANGER (1946), directed and starring Orson Welles, along with Eddie G!!!, RACHEL AND THE STRANGER (1948) with William Holden and Mitch, and KEY TO THE CITY (1950) with the King himself, Clark Gable, and Frank Morgan, and supporting cast which includes my main men Raymond Burr and James Gleason!!

Friday night is a tribute to Betty Grable, including PIGSKIN PARADE (1936) with Stuart Erwin, Patsy Kelly and Jack Haley, followed by A YANK IN THE R.A.F. (1941) with Tyrone Power--may TCM continues to bring on those Fox classics, very cool!!! And lastly MY BLUE HEAVEN (1950), with Dan Dailey and Jane Wyatt!!

Saturday morning is just a groovy joy, with TCM slipping in a 1931 flick first thing, RIVER'S END, a rarely screened flick, starring Charles Bickford, Evelyn Knapp, and J Farrell MacDonald---really looking forward to this one!!! This is followed by what seems like a new TCM fave, Ruth Roman (she's ubiquitous lately, but I don't mind, she's a dish!!!) in TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY (1951) with Steve Cochran and Lurene Tuttle!!!, then Ginger Rogers and Dennis Morgan in PERFECT STRANGERS (1950)!!! Then we're back after a holiday break to the Lone Wolf series, this week my main man Warren William stars in COUNTER-ESPIONAGE from 1942, and ably assisted by Eric Blore!!! Bomba The Jungle Boy also returns, with Johnny Sheffield, in ELEPHANT STAMPEDE (1951)!! Later in the afternoon, Coop shows up in a western also featuring Julie London and Lee J Cobb, MAN OF THE WEST (1958)!! I'm more into some westerns these days than I used to be, and look for ones like this one that aren't that common!

Man, Saturday night TCM is THE place to be if you are a Charlie Chaplin fan!!! Not only will we be treated to two of his most amazing features, CITY LIGHTS (1931), and MODERN TIMES (1936), but these will be followed by a HUGE block of silent shorts, and man, this is TOTALLY GROOVY in prime time, yeah!!! A DOG'S LIFE (1918), SHOULDER ARMS (1918), THE KID (1921), THE IDLE CLASS (1921), PAY DAY (1922), and these are bookended by two silent features, THE CIRCUS (1928), and THE GOLD RUSH (1925)!! Simply incredible!!!

Thank you for yet another groovy week of classic flix, TCM!!! You rock!!!

Monday and Friday's prime time line ups are superb. Grable is not as celebrated as she should be and I see her films trickling into the schedule slowly. Same with Ty Power. I predict one of them get a day in August. Thanks for continuing to cooperate Fox, and thank you TCM for picking out the good ones!!

And tonight with Joseph Cotten - I absolutely love this guy!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings