Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Angela Lansbury?!?

Bolesroor

Are we really devoting the most depressing month of the year to Angela Lansbury?!? I really hope no one rushes to the defense of "screen legend" Angela Lansbury here... she was not a very good actress... she was never a movie star... she was never popular in film... this is a very sad misstep by the great TCM.

Isn't it about time for a Bette Davis month again?

> {quote:title=Bolesroor wrote:}{quote}Are we really devoting the most depressing month of the year to Angela Lansbury?!? I really hope no one rushes to the defense of "screen legend" Angela Lansbury here... she was not a very good actress... she was never a movie star... she was never popular in film... this is a very sad misstep by the great TCM.

>

> Isn't it about time for a Bette Davis month again?

You are entitled to your opinion; however, Angela Lansbury is simply DIVINE.

Yeah that Angela Lansbury was (is) a pretty mediocre actress. She's been fooling a lot of people over the last 60+ years. Worked in movies, television, on the stage. Obviously she can't hold a steady job but people keep hiring her anyway. I can't figure it out ...

Mr. Roberts, be fair sir... I have nothing against Ms. Lansbury personally- I don't even mind her saggy cheeks- but she was never a Movie Star. There is a difference between having a long career as an actress and being worthy of "Star of the Month" treatment.

What was Lansbury's biggest movie role? Bedknobs and Broomsticks? She was never desirable, never funny, never dramatic or memorable in anything she did. The only reason most of us even know her name is because we're old enough to remember "Murder, She Wrote," a mystery series targeted at the elderly which made Lansbury a household name. If you want me to watch the movies, fine I will... I'm a respectful and devoted TCM fan. But I don't have to smile about it and pretend that I'm delighted to have a month-long tribute to mediocrity. I'm not.

To be Star Of The Month you're supposed to have been a star.

Good post. I agree that she seriously lacked sex appeal. To say she is in the same league with a Garbo or Monroe as a titillating star of the month would be unrealistic. She was a character actress and was usually given supporting roles because she could not be counted on to draw in mass audiences and sell movie tickets.

In BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS, the magic and special effects are in reality the star, with the kids coming in a close second and Lansbury along for the ride. I really felt she should not have been chosen to do the retrospective about Disney live action a few years ago. She only made one movie for Buena Vista. Dean Jones, Hayley Mills (my pick for the retrospective), Fred MacMurray and Kurt Russell were the big stars of Disney live action, not Lansbury.

yes it is time for Bette on a month, but please since it has been 6 years, may we please have a Garbo Star of the Month - maybe we can finally be treated to the uncut and uncensored Mata Hari and some of the recently discovered clip (new scenes recently found this year) of The Divine Woman, thank you TCM in advance for this treat if it ever happens in the near future!

I'm actually getting tired of the SOTM leading actors and the devotion to the "big names." I think the greatness of the "classic" films is largely in the character roles/actors, and I'd like to see some of them given full star of the month treatment. Like Beulah Bondi month, Eugene Pallette month, etc. They had big enough roles, even in supporting parts.

To only think of Angela in Bedknobs and Broomsticks is kind of insulting. Her short role in The Picture of Dorian Gray and her almost getting an Academy Award for her role in Gaslight cannot be overlooked. Maybe some of us will be surprised with what TCM will put on the plate. I do agree with the poster who said it would be great to see some less known but always recognizable actors featured, but I as one fan will be watching Angela gladly!

*What was Lansbury's biggest movie role?*

I take it you've never seen The Manchurian Candidate because if you had then the question above would never have been asked.

Ms. Landsbury took the term of overbearing mother to the next level. Her performance was chilling. The film airs January 18th at 10pm. My suggestion is that you watch it and then perhaps your question will be answered.

Lansbury is a bit miscast in THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. She has the acting chops to pull off the role, and she is fairly good with the possibilities of the character, but she is in no way physically believable or old enough to be regarded as Laurence Harvey's mother. It's like hiring Bette Davis to portray Errol Flynn's mother.

Similarly, she was only nine years older than Elvis when she played his mother in BLUE HAWAII, and since she was not going to be offered the lead role and wear a bikini, she settled for a matronly supporting part. Again it's hard to believe at this stage in her career that she's old enough to be a matinee idol's mom.

Must disagree on two big fronts: FEBRUARY is the most depressing month of the year and Lansbury was (is) a terrific actress- p'raps you should have seen some of her film triumphs (like her Oscar-nommed role in The Manchurian Candidate before ye ripped on her so harshly.)

That said, her films are in heavier rotation on TCM than any other star I can think of. Gaslight is in the top ten when it comes to repeat offenders. All Fall Down (which will surely be featured on Malden's month), National Velvet, Dorian Gray, Blue Hawaii and even her less common titles like Mr. Buddwing, Henry Orient and that boring love-triangle thing she did with Peter Finch and Jane Fonda show up constantly throughout the year. There was a period a few years ago when Bedknobs and Broomsticks would show up twice a month, thank GOD it seems to have been put back on the shelf (don't think it's even part of the tribute this month, thank you Film Gods.)

Ev'ry month is Angie's month on TCM and that is why I can't work up much enthusiasm for January.

Edited by: JonnyGeetar on Jan 2, 2012 9:36 AM

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote: (soon) }{quote}GASLIGHT will have reached its thousandth airing on TCM.

Tsk, tsk Paul-uh. You are ee-magining theengs again. Zee footsteps in zee attic, zee gas going down, Gaslight being on ev-er-y month for zee last five years. Really Paul-uh, you know eet only shows on occasion. You really are starting to go mad, I think.

Edited by: Sergis Bauer on Jan 2, 2012 10:05 AM

Before we go on dissing January, there is one thing that raises TCM's January schedule above many other months for me: it's a rare month that NBNW isn't on the schedule!!!

I love Angela and am looking forward to seeing the lesser-known films.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}Hilarious! Just note that I did not write the word 'soon' in my earlier post. Though you are probably right...the 1000th broadcast of GASLIGHT '44 will air soon enough.

Yes, I admit I modified for comedic effect. For the record, I tried to non-italicize the "soon" but no dice.

A year ago they showed The Murder in Thornton Square aka Gaslight the 1940 (?) version with Anton Walbrook that MGM tried to destroy when they did their version. It's not as good, but it was still a refreshing change of pace.

I respect when people have varying opinions on actors and their careers but the suggestion that someone should be SOTM again because years have gone on since they last been is just silly. Garbo and Davis get regular air play on TCM. There are far too many people that deserve their careers to be highlighted whether they were huge stars or character actors.

Karl Malden being SOTM is a big step in the right direction.

Joel McCrea getting his month will be better than ANY star being repeated.