Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Angela Lansbury?!?

misswonderly, people live for definitions and technicalities. Whether is be film noir being a genre, or an actor actually being a "star", it is never ending.

To even compare Vera Ralston (again, who?) to Angela Lansbury is silly.

This thread should be filed away in the cabinet of "Viewers that will never be satisfied."

Reading through some of these threads I can see why TCM staff choose to read these boards anonymously and not ask for opinions or discuss ideas they have in the works - who would want a know it all telling them how to do their job?

Vera Ralston was the leading lady over at Republic studios in the 40s and 50s where she was married to the boss, Herbert Yates. (Republic being slightly above Monogram and below Columbia in the scheme of things) I cant really comment on what kind of actress she was as I've never seen any of her films ( I think she had a thick accent) but she was never nominated for an Oscar like Angela was 3 times...... but the fact she was married to the boss makes me think she had an easier time of it than Angela did as far as career choices. Before she hit Hollywood she was an ice skater and a pretty good one as I think she won some Olympic medals. Think she was from Czechoslovakia..........

Think her real name was Vera Hruba? Then went by Vera Hruba Ralston for awhile.........

Edited by: Hibi on Jan 4, 2012 4:56 PM

Edited by: Hibi on Jan 4, 2012 5:03 PM

> *{quote:title=Bolesroor wrote:}{quote}Movie Gal... no, I have not seen "Manchurian Candidate."*

>

>

>

> *For you I will watch it.*

Thanks Bolesroor. All I ask is that you watch the film with an open mind. You might be surprised at Ms. Landsbury's perfomance.

Also, you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. If everyone liked the same things in life this world would be extremely dull. Heck, I will even go so far as to admit that I never cared for John Wayne... no offense to his fans. We like who we like. The great thing about TCM is that there is something for everyone.

:)

*AndyM108:* Thanks for listing seventeen years of SOTM. I noticed that neither Teresa Wright or Beulah Bondi were ever honored with a month of their own. It's long over due TCM.

Edited by: MovieGal53 on Jan 4, 2012 5:53 PM

MovieGal, your recommendations for SOTM are the best! *Beulah Bondi* personifies what made the classic films great, in so many wonderful performances. If TCM finally got round to making "character" actors SOTMs, which is long overdue, Miss Bondi is where they should begin. And *Teresa Wright* -- she's wonderful! I worked with her on a project in 1997. So lovely and kind, and of course talented. I would love to see both of those ladies honored.

*Swithin,* thank you! The suggestion of "character" actors being honored as SOTM is a good one. Maybe TCM will read this thread and pick up on it.

How grand to have worked with Ms. Wright! She always seemed so refined and elegant. Another "thank you" for sharing your memory with me.

kriegerg69,

Back in those days, it was like the Oscars had a bizarre unwritten rule that all Best Song nominees HAD to be performed by someone OTHER than whoever had made it famous in the movie.

In fact, they seemed to go out of their way to make the songs sound completely different from the originals -- like instead of Tom Jones singing "What's New Pussycat?" they got 22-year-old Liza Minnelli to screech it...

I only remember two occasions when it worked out pretty well -- Angela (instead of Julie) doing "Thoroughly Modern Millie" in '67 and Aretha Franklin (rather than Streisand) belting a soulful version of "Funny Girl" in '69.

Still, the Academy kept it up until I think well into the 70s ...

kriegerg69, if you were referring to my comment back on the first page I hope you realize that I was being sarcastic about the original point of this thread. I certainly admire Angela Lansbury for her long, successful career in the different areas of entertainment. I don't see anything wrong with her being SOTM at all. Her resume speaks for itself. As I have always made comment on these boards, there is more than enough viewing time in each day, each week, each month , to give just about everyone something to enjoy watching. If Angela isn't your cup of tea , fine. Just take a break when she's on and something else will be on soon. The audience out there is very diverse and I think TCM does a fair job of giving each of us our moments of pleasure. I will probably watch a little of *Gaslight* when its on (seen it a dozen times) but I never tire of seeing Ingrid.

I still think TCM is the greatest network of all-time, and I will even watch Lansbury's pictures hoping, praying to understand her appeal. If this doesn't work I'm just going to egg her house.

fotos-de-angela-lansbury-7.jpg

(E-mail me for the nude version of this shot)

Edited by: TCMWebAdmin on Jan 5, 2012 7:37 AM

> {quote:title=Bolesroor wrote:}{quote}While we're all trying to get the image of Angela Lansbury fellating Robert Osborne out of our minds, please consider this: I still think TCM is the greatest network of all-time, and I will even watch Lansbury's pictures hoping, praying to understand her appeal. If this doesn't work I'm just going to egg her house.(E-mail me for the nude version of this shot)

Excuse you, Bolesroor, but that comment was out-of-line, disrespectful, and tasteless. You really crossed the bad taste line with that comment into troll territority. I didn't find the humor in it at all. It offended me immediately. :P

The worst SOTM is still light years ahead of whatever the other channels are showing. And you still get some really good films to watch. So why are we splitting hairs ??

I enjoy how TCM mixes things up a bit. And why not have some one celebrated who is still around so she can appreciate it in person instead of posthumously ?

I enjoy being exposed to actors I may not know or didn't know as much about as I could have. It can be educational as well as entertaining.

> {quote:title=Geraldddddd wrote:}{quote}The worst SOTM is still light years ahead of whatever the other channels are showing. And you still get some really good films to watch. So why are we splitting hairs ??

>

> I enjoy how TCM mixes things up a bit. And why not have some one celebrated who is still around so she can appreciate it in person instead of posthumously ?

>

> I enjoy being exposed to actors I may not know or didn't know as much about as I could have. It can be educational as well as entertaining.

Sometimes somebody comes along and puts it all into perspective. Best post ever.

Agree about Teresa Wright. Not only hasnt she been a SOTM yet, TCM didnt even do a tribute when she died........Oddly, I just watched her last night on a great Alfred Hitchcock episode on Encore Mystery last night......... (11pm eastern during the weekl)

Ah, the 60s. I remember Mitzi Gaynor doing a dance number to Georgy Girl on one show. LOL. I remember watching Angela singing and dancing to Thoroughly Modern Millie, it was one of those rare, great Oscar numbers. It was Mame (and the Life cover story on her) that started me on my Angela fandom) I was quite young then (LOL)...........

Edited by: Hibi on Jan 5, 2012 9:51 AM

I commented several months ago that Teresa, even though she was the first and only performer Oscar-nominated for his or her first 3 films, and even though she starred in the monumental TBYOOL and SHADOW OF A DOUBT, she was forgotten very quickly.

Edited by: finance on Jan 5, 2012 10:42 AM

Yes, she seems to get no respect. She isnt as well known as she should be, sad to say...........RO seems to like her, but TCM doesnt give her the push they do for other stars..........

Well, I sincerely doubt Angela lobbied RO to be chosen. LOL. She's one of the few surviving actors from Hollywood's golden age so that helps. Angela is busy prepping for another Broadway opening (Gore Vidal's The Best Man) I'm assuming she'll be playing the role Ann Sothern did in the movie version. I think her days as a Broadway lead are over, sadly. (I've read she has trouble remembering her lines......)

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Yes, she seems to get no respect. She isnt as well known as she should be, sad to say...........RO seems to like her, but TCM doesnt give her the push they do for other stars..........

I presume you're talking about Teresa Wright, right? In which case I agree (sometimes during Oscar month they do show her talking about her experience the year she was double-nominated, but other than that, there isn't much love for Teresa down TCM way.)

There may be rights issues with some of her stuff like The Men and The Little Foxes -the latter title being one that I don't know that I've ever seen on TCM- although it can be seen for free on u-yay ube-tay. Casanova Brown and Pride of the Yankees as well as Shadow of a Doubt, Miniver, and BYOOL do get pretty regular airings though.

Edited by: JonnyGeetar on Jan 5, 2012 10:55 AM

I think there are enough films for *Teresa Wright* to merit a SOTM treatment. My impression in knowing her slightly was that she was basically not of "Hollywood," even though she had been married to screenwriter Niven Busch. Her second husband, playwright Bob Anderson, who wrote Tea and Sympathy, I Never Sang for My Father, etc., and Teresa were basically New Yorkers, and I think she preferred living here. She did alot of TV and theater.

Interesting that the Best Years of Our Lives crowd (Fredric March, Myrna Loy, Teresa Wright) all preferred to live in NYC and environs.

Yes, Jonny. Wright, right! Those talking heads segments aren't from TCM though. Someone here mentioned they come from some film history archive/type place........

Little Foxes has been shown a lot on TCM. Cant remember it being on recently though.........

Edited by: Hibi on Jan 5, 2012 11:49 AM