Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Angela Lansbury?!?

> {quote:title=Bolesroor wrote: }{quote}

> *What's with the sudden synergystic media blitz?* If she thinks she's gonna pull a Betty White and become a beloved living legend I have sad news for her: It ain't gonna happen. Betty White made people laugh.

Bolesroor, what is your proof of the bolded? You are aware that all 12 seasons of Murder She Wrote did very well on DVD and the show gets pretty decent ratings in syndication, right? That's what happens when a show is popular, it doesn't go away completely. Also, for about $44.99-49.99 each set (and going on sale for as low as $14.99) with up to twenty two 45 minute episodes, the people weren't cheated by Universal.

I don't think Angela Lansbury is in any kind of media blitz. She is simply an actress who likes to work and has been blessed to still be given the opportunities. She may be more known for her stage performances and television series but I refuse to try to downplay her career.

Many golden era stars died young, and a few retired early and also refused to do this medium known as television, but for the majority, the demand wasn't there. Look at how many people from the golden era guest starred on Murder She Wrote - some even multiple times - none of them were given their own series, and I am sure many would have jumped at the chance. Older stars often admit in interviews that the real reason why you don't see them in new projects is because no casting agent is knocking at their door. Many classic stars' TV projects have either been forgotten, are seriously dated, or hard to find. The same MSW creators put out Ellery Queen a decade earlier (a series I believe would have been better if it lasted more than one season) and the public didn't bite. I don't know what it was about MSW but people loved it.

As for Jessica finding a dead body while wearing a track suit. Some things will never change. CBS has a female detective in one show shooting a gun wearing "wife beaters" and on another show a man is in crisp suits shooting machine guns saving people from death. I guess there is no dress code for solving crime.

Just curious, does anyone know the types of arguments would be made against the career of Warren William if he were Star of the Month? I have to ask because I would really like to see him get a month and I just wonder where and why some would object.

Just curious, does anyone know the types of arguments would be made against the career of Warren William if he were Star of the Month? I have to ask because I would really like to see him get a month and I just wonder where and why some would object.

I'd love to see a Warren William month, but here are the sort of objections I think he'd encounter:

---Died too long ago and no cult ever developed around him the way it did around Valentino. To be a SOTM it helps to have one or the other of those two attributes.

---With the exception of his Lone Wolf series, his best work was all made within a very short period of just over three years before the Breen code hit with full force and took the edge off his screen persona.

---And unlike many of the SOTM, his character roles were relatively limited: Cad; good but boring husband; raffish detective. There were a few movies of his that didn't fall into these categories, but not a whole lot of them.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see William as a SOTM. It'd sure be a lot better than Doris Day, if only for a break from all this wholesomeness. But I'm not sure how many of the TCM suits would agree. Maybe if we added George Sanders and Ricardo Cortez we could supplement *"The Battle of the Blondes"* with *"The Clash of the Cads"* . I'd *LOVE* to see a month like that, and I suspect so would a lot of other people.

The general concept being a 'clash of the cads' month is a good one. People tend to forget there are only about 10 SOTM per year. 20. That isn't a lot. That changes the 'is X worth it' question. It is similar to dealing with the national or a state's budget. If one looks at X in a vacuum it looks worth it, but when one has to decide what is in and just as important what is NOT in, well that is a very different view of 'worth it'.

I enjoy Lansbury as well as Williams but I'm still not sure they should get one of the 10 slots in a year when I see all the others that have never been SOTM, like Leslie Howard or Joel McCrea (just two that come to mind as being a higher priority in my opinion).

LoveFilmNoir, I'm not sure what you mean by proof... I was alluding to the strange coincidences this month, namely

- Angela Lansbury as SOTM on TCM

Not exactly a first-choice, and there's certainly never been any call-out by anyone to give Angela this honor

- Murder, She Wrote on TV Land

Of all the classic shows not being re-run- many of which are MUCH higher-quality than the plodding MSW- why did TV Land choose this show to re-run now?

As I said I feel like someone is trying to turn her into a living legend, which isn't going to happen for two main reasons: 1) She's not a legend, and 2) The fact that she's living is open for debate. Betty White is Beloved... Angela's just Tolerated.

> {quote:title=Bolesroor wrote:}{quote}

>

> As I said I feel like someone is trying to turn her into a living legend, which isn't going to happen for two main reasons: 1) She's not a legend, and 2) The fact that she's living is open for debate. Betty White is Beloved... Angela's just Tolerated.

>

That's just your opinion, of course, obviously part of your unrelenting hatred of Angela. :P

Betty may be "beloved" (and I enjoy watching her), but IMHO she doesn't have half the talent and diversity that Angela does. Betty is basically the same in whatever you see her in. Angela is a legend, so regarded by thousands (perhaps even millions)...you're the odd man out, as it were.

> {quote:title=Bolesroor wrote:}{quote}LoveFilmNoir, I'm not sure what you mean by proof... I was alluding to the strange coincidences this month, namely

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> * Angela Lansbury as SOTM on TCM

> Not exactly a first-choice, and there's certainly never been any call-out by anyone to give Angela this honor

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> * Murder, She Wrote on TV Land

> Of all the classic shows not being re-run- many of which are MUCH higher-quality than the plodding MSW- why did TV Land choose this show to re-run now?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> As I said I feel like someone is trying to turn her into a living legend, which isn't going to happen for two main reasons: 1) She's not a legend, and 2) The fact that she's living is open for debate. Betty White is Beloved... Angela's just Tolerated.

Betty White...really? Oh, yes, she was spectacular in that movie -- um...what was it?

Angela Lansbury is a treasure, AND a Broadway Legend, one of the few that can still command a standing ovation. Lansbury had played a whole spectrum of roles. To name a few, she was delightful as the love-driven-but-deadly princess in The Court Jester, vindictive as the saloon hostess in The Harvey Girls...and could anyone have been more chilling than she in The Machurian Candidate?

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote} Betty White...really? Oh, yes, she was spectacular in that movie -- um...what was it?

>

> Angela Lansbury is a treasure, AND a Broadway Legend, one of the few that can still command a standing ovation. Lansbury had played a whole spectrum of roles.

Touché, filmlover! :)

touche-turtle1.jpg

Here are some facts related to the 3 movie roles you have listed"

The Harvey Girls - Lansbury has 3rd billing with another actress getting higher billing

Count Jester - Lansbury has 4th billing with another actress getting higher billing

The Machurian Candidate - Lansbury has 4th billing with another actress getting higher billing

Of course some might say 'so what' but there it all comes back to if someone deserves to be SOTM, especially when they have already been SOTM (Oct 1994) and stars like Leslie Howard and Joel McCrea etc.... have never been SOTM.

With Howard and McCrea if one was to provide examples of movies they were great in, they would have first billing if not billing before the title.

I'm a fan of Lansbury and while I feel Boresroor is being too harsh I also question why Lansbury was made SOTM yet again, given all the stars that have never been SOTM.

One major reason might be that she is still alive. I notice that of the stars that have been STOM more than once many were still alive at the time; Mickey Rooney, Olivia DeHaviland, Kirk Douglas and Lansbury.

Of course there are stars no longer with us like Grant (2) Wayne (2) and Garbo (3) etc...that have been STOM more than once but I would hope we could agree they are bigger stars than any of the living ones I mentioned.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}Here are some facts related to the 3 movie roles you have listed"

>

> The Harvey Girls - Lansbury has 3rd billing with another actress getting higher billing

> Count Jester - Lansbury has 4th billing with another actress getting higher billing

> The Machurian Candidate - Lansbury has 4th billing with another actress getting higher billing

Well, IMHO the billing position is irrelevant. Who cares if another actress gets "higher billing", when Angela...in at least two of those movies...dominates the scene when she's on-screen. Those "facts" don't matter...it's how well she performs when she IS on-screen.

I enjoy Lansbury as well as Williams but I'm still not sure they should get one of the 10 slots in a year when I see all the others that have never been SOTM, like Leslie Howard or Joel McCrea (just two that come to mind as being a higher priority in my opinion) .

I can see McCrea, but Howard made only 34 films, and the great majority of them are either played all the time anyway or aren't really all that special. McCrea makes much more sense, since there are many more movies of his that don't get much TCM play.

But OTOH if you had to rate the three of them on a scale of fascinating characters, Howard would be down at the bottom, McCrea would be stuck in the middle somewhere, while William would be off the charts. Howard's most widely known roles---let's be real, folks---were basically playing pantsywaists. Whereas with a few exceptions like Gold Diggers of 1933 and Three on a Match , William played nothing but characters with tricks up their sleeves and / or larceny in their hearts. You can't help but love the man.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> One major reason might be that she is still alive. I notice that of the stars that have been STOM more than once many were still alive at the time; Mickey Rooney, Olivia DeHaviland, Kirk Douglas and Lansbury.

>

> Of course there are stars no longer with us like Grant (2) Wayne (2) and Garbo (3) etc...that have been STOM more than once but I would hope we could agree they are bigger stars than any of the living ones I mentioned.

>

Yeah james, I guess I could agree with that...but maybe only because I've heard Garbo had some of the bigger FEET in Hollywood history!

And so, allowing for THAT, I suppose we could conclude that she was "bigger" than those previous folks you mentioned!

(...uh huh, especially Mickey of course) ;)

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote} (Leslie) Howard made only 34 films, and the great majority of them are either played all the time anyway or aren't really all that special.

A couple of years ago Grace Kelly was SOTM. She made somewhere between 12-14 films, one of which ( Fourteen Hours ) features her for less than five minutes.

> *{quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote} (Leslie) Howard made only 34 films, and the great majority of them are either played all the time anyway or aren't really all that special* .

A couple of years ago Grace Kelly was SOTM. She made somewhere between 12-14 films, one of which ( Fourteen Hours ) features her for less than five minutes .

That seems to me to be less of an argument for Howard than it is an argument against Kelly, who's much more of a SUTS candidate than she was for a SOTM. It's not that Kelly or Howard didn't make some very good films, but those are the same films that get shown all the time anyway.

The number of films one made is not directly proportional to star status. Grace had a significant impact on film history. If her marriage to Rainier had something to do with it, so be it........I am not defending her because she happened to be from Philly, or because Kelly Drive, named after her father, is one of my favorite stomping grounds..