Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Angela Lansbury?!?

Well Andy at least you give some hints about what the criteria should be or not be for someone to be SOTM.

One criteria you mention is how often the film an actor is in are shown on TCM. Well the main movies Lansbury is known for and the 3 examples someone else gave, are all shown very, very often. One main reason is because, as I noted, Lansbury isn't the star of those movies. This is why I mentioned an actors placement in the billing credits.

Studio contract players don't get star billing but often they are in more movies than the star and thus TCM might show them a lot when TCM features major stars or other themes. For example, Frank Mchugh. If TCM features any major Warner star from the 30s (e.g. Cagney) as STOM Frank would be in a lot of those movies!

Now someone else mentions number of movies by a star. Of course that is a criteria to some degree (simple logic dictates that). While I would like to see Leslie Howard as SOTM (he is my favorite actor), I do agree that he is in a limited number of movies (relative to other lead male actors), so if TCM was to tell me that was the reason, while I wouldn't like it (I want my guy to get his due! :) ), I would understand it.

What I find funny is how much traction this topic gets. Picking SOTM is a no win situation for the TCM programmers. But I wish I had their job!

But could it be possible that TCM picked Lansbury as SOTM because they have a back room deal with TV Land to help promote MSW? I don't think that is a crazy idea.

For example, when the movie of Get Smart was about to be released TV Land starting playing Get Smart reruns and twice per night. That clearly was in the interest of both parties.

Yea, both White and Lansbury are living TV legends. Lansbury is also a broadway legend. But is she a classic movie one? Yea, I already know your answer! :)

Well Andy at least you give some hints about what the criteria should be or not be for someone to be SOTM.

Well, far and away the most important criterion is whether or not I like their movies. That's a given. ;)

Beyond that, it gets to be subjective, but these are the main factors I'd consider if I were running the show (for about three months before I got fired):

*Factor # 1: How many films of any given star are available to TCM, and of those, how many are shown over and over during the course of TCM's regular programing? IMO the higher the ratio of generally unknown films to Big Name films, the better.*

Having said that:

*Top priority:* Stars who routinely got top billing, and who had long careers. Grant, Tracy, Stanwyck, Crawford, etc. IOW the true icons whose names are still recognizable even to many younger moviegoers. The ideal SOTM would be someone like Bogart or Stanwyck, with a repertory that has a fair number of iconic films but an even larger number of earlier and somewhat more obscure movies that gives us a chance to see the evolution of their screen personae.

Another obvious choice at that same high level, IF enough of their films were available (admittedly a probable concern), would be foreign icons like Jean Gabin and Toshiro Mifune---those two would be a revelation even to many of our relatively sophisticated TCM fans, and there are others whom I'm sure others here might suggest.

*Next level:* Stars with regular top billing, but with shorter careers at the top. Glenn Ford, Ray Milland, Frank Sinatra (why not?), Jean Simmons, Lauren Bacall, etc. Filling a month with their films is possible, but there's usually less to choose from, and as a result you get either lower quality or too many warhorses.

*Next level* (now here it gets subjective): More obscure stars, often from the silent or early sound era, or with shorter careers, who nevertheless have many great, if not "iconic" movies to choose among: Lon Chaney, Richard Barthelmess and Warren William would be three who come to mind here.

*Below that:* High level character actors such as Edward Arnold or Joan Blondell, with countless numbers of readily available films that demonstrate just how important such actors and actresses are to sustaining a high quality product. Could be incorporated into a SOTM of character actors as a group, with an emphasis on their earlier and lesser-known films.

*Below that:* Long lives, long careers, respectable number of films with or without top billing, but never considered to have any real star quality comparable to those in the first three categories: Here we get into the Angela Lansburies of the world. Worthy of the honor, but nothing to write home about.

*Below that:* Long lives, varied career lengths, but with films whose appeal is 99.99% nostalgia rather than any demonstrable acting talent brought to anything but purely genre movies: Mickey Rooney, Esther Williams and Roy Rogers would be good examples of this.

And *just* below that last category you'd have Rin Tin Tin, Trigger, and Francis the Talking Mule. Although I don't think I'd want to see a SOTM consisting of stars who walk on four legs.

Oh, and even for the top category: Please, no repeats more than every 7 or 8 years. Spread the love around a bit.

What I find funny is how much traction this topic gets. Picking SOTM is a no win situation for the TCM programmers. But I wish I had their job!

Well, give me a bodyguard or two and tell me where to report. B-)

The answer is YES in all 3 categories. Few people are still actively working at her age as well (70 years in the business).........

I dont think there is any tie in. I think her longevity and the fact she's still part of "the scene", is well known/liked and they have easy access to her films all played a part in her selection....

Edited by: Hibi on Jan 10, 2012 2:20 PM

Allright, Bolesroor, don’t you think it’s enough?

You made it perfectly clear in you OP that you disagree with Angela Lansbury being the SOTM and that you think ‘’she was not a very good actress... she was never a movie star... she was never popular in film’’ and ‘’she was never desirable, never funny, never dramatic or memorable in anything she did’’ even though you’re clearly not familiar with her acclaimed work and ignoring the fasts that Ms. Lansbury was nominated for 3 Academy Awards (setting a record for being the youngest actress to become a 2-time Oscar nominee, a record she still holds for 67 years), 18 Emmy nominations, 6 Golden Globes wins (another record that was broken by Meryl Streep in 2009), and 5 Tony wins (you guessed it right, another record) and has an unprecedented career that lasted for 68 years and still going strong and people like Catherine Zeta-Jones, Emma Thompson, Colin Firth, and Jim Carrey are honored being able to work with her.

Ms. Lansbury talent knows no limits – drama, comedy, musical, screen, stage, television she’s equally brilliant in everything she does. I can’t think of another performer who has achieved such astonishing success in all 3 mediums.

You think Ms. Lansbury doesn’t deserve to be honored by TCM even though the SOTM concept was never about highlighting huge box-office draws and no one else, as you can see from the list provided by AndyM108, just like you can see that Ms. Lansbury became one of the very first stars to receive such honor back in 1994. Fine, everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but is this really necessary to insult a beloved actress with impeccable reputation in such nasty manner? For your information Ms. Lansbury visits TCM’ site and probably reads its message boards. Do you think she deserves to read your filthy and disgusting insinuations about her and Robert Osborne? Ms. Lansbury is not only a great actress, but what is more important a beautiful human being who used her power to help other actors during her Murder, She Wrote days and deserves some respect.

Geraldddddd wrote an excellent post worth repeating:

> The worst SOTM is still light years ahead of whatever the other channels are showing. And you still get some really good films to watch. So why are we splitting hairs ??

>

> I enjoy how TCM mixes things up a bit. And why not have some one celebrated who is still around so she can appreciate it in person instead of posthumously ?

>

>

> I enjoy being exposed to actors I may not know or didn't know as much about as I could have. It can be educational as well as entertaining.

>

And you seemed to agree with the statement, but unfortunately not for too long. I also fail to understand the need to drag the wonderful Betty White in this story. What on Earth she and Lansbury have to do with each other? They could’ve not been any different so let them be.

Again, everyone has the rights to say/think whatever they want, but I just don’t see the point. You made perfectly clear that you loathe Ms. Lansbury and don’t think her career is worth celebrating, wonderful, we got you first time, there is no need to repeat 100 times per day.

Thank you very much and good day!

> {quote:title=Williamtell wrote:}{quote}Allright, Bolesroor, don’t you think it’s enough?

I certainly do...Williamtell, you said a mouthful. ;)

Bolesroor's incessant, unrelenting disparaging comments are nothing more than trolling, IMHO. X-(

2wg6gk5.jpg

> {quote:title=Williamtell wrote:}{quote}Ms. Lansbury is not only a great actress, but what is more important a beautiful human being who used her power to help other actors during her Murder, She Wrote days and deserves some respect.

Yes, I've read about how she helped actress Madlyn Rhue (who died 9 years ago), who suffered from multiple sclerosis and was confined to a wheelchair. She was in danger of having her social security cancelled due to her unemployment, and Angela had the role of the Cabot Cove librarian created for her on the show so that Madlyn could continue working and her social security wouldn't get cancelled...and Madlyn was wonderful in her recurring role on the show.

God bless Angela for that! :)

Well WillamTell, per your request, I won't say anything more on the subject of Angela Lansbury. I was prepared to let the subject drop but the thread kept popping up... I thank you for your honest request.

As for whether or not Angie reads the TCM webpages, I think she is smart enough and strong enough to withstand the humorous and fictional implication of an affair between herself and Robert Osborne. If this thread was the worst thing that ever happened to her I for one would say she's led a pretty wonderful life. In fact, if Angela was here right now, she might tell some of the messageboard users here to lighten up and learn to take a joke. Ms. Lansbury once said in one of her numerous acceptance speeches:

"If you're not laughing, you're not living..."

But then, I'm paraphrasing...

:)

> {quote:title=Bolesroor wrote:}{quote}Well WillamTell, per your request, I won't say anything more on the subject of Angela Lansbury. I was prepared to let the subject drop but the thread kept popping up...

>

> As for whether or not Angie reads the TCM webpages, I think she is smart enough and strong enough to withstand the humorous and fictional implication of an affair between herself and Robert Osborne.

That doesn't mean you had to keep responding with such disparaging comments. :|

"humorous and fictional implication of an affair"? What was posted was more like a distasteful and crass depiction of a sexual act. :P

Don't you find it odd that Lansbury was a SOTM the very first year? Please I love her but I do find that very strange. Of course Glen Ford was the second SOTM (after Garbo), and I find that strange also but Ford was the #1 male box office actor for a few years in the 50s. (hey he might not be known as one of the great actors but he sure was popular back in his day).

Of course as others have said, the people that decide who is who is not STOM base their decision on a lot of very different reasons.

A review of the list does cause me to scratch my head every once in a while and what made the programmers pick one person and just as imporant not pick someone else.

But there is never a good reason to trash a professional. That goes beyond just having an opinion.

I do remember seeing this. I have tried to google to get the list of top actors and actresses by year but all I get are bogus websites trying to see me movies. I know someone posted a link but I don't have it. Man I wish I did. I give up trying to find it myself.

Anyone catch State of the Union last night??? This was the first time I've seen the movie all the way through (this type of movie never appealed to me.....) Although the ending was typical Hollywood flag waving (the American way!) I enjoyed it (although there were some gag inducing moments) Sadly, the story is still typical today. I was amazed how compelling Angela was in her role. Only 22, but playing a woman much older and really nailing the part. I thought she deserved an Oscar nomination for this role (she didnt get one) than the more one dimensional role in Gaslight...........

Interestingly this wasnt meant to be a Tracy/Hepburn picture. Claudette Colbert either was fired or walked out (cant remember which) over a salary dispute and Hepburn agreed to be a last minute replacement. I can see Claudette in the role, but Hepburn was a good fit too......

I have seen State of The Union before and Lansbury does nail the role of the hard as nails women. I also find it ironic that Tracy plays a guy that is cheating on his wife with the wife being played by Hepburn. So it wasn't just about the state of the union but the state of Tracy's life.

Hi,

Watched the first part of "Samson and Delilah" last night, just until Angela gets skewered to the wall by a spear..... She looked good in the role, especially when you consider that Hedy Lamarr was her 'younger' sister!!

But, I've never figured Semadore out - did she love Samson or Ature? She seems to have 'married' them both and is confused about being passed back and forth - as we are...

None-the-less, it was a good role for her.

She could have telephoned in that thankless role of Queen Anne in "The Three Muskateers".....

I understand that she wanted the Milady DeWinter role and Lana didn't; but Louis B. Mayer threatened Lana with suspension, so Angela became Queen.......

Larry