Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello Dolly question

hamradio

{font:Times New Roman}Some films have two sets of stereo tracks. In this case it would be 4 or 6 track systems. Depending upon the method utilized, it really doesn’t make any big difference which multipliable soundtracks end up for the video release. Of course, many of the older films, like a Todd-AO soundtrack system or standard CinemaScope stereo tracks could be remixed for the purpose of a home theater surround sound system. You may have notice that on the jacket case of numerous DVD’s pertaining to the audio, there is everything from 2 track stereo – 3 track stereo – 4 track stereo and today’s main standard of 5.1 surround sound tracks. As for 7.1, well it's still a rarity for most Blu-ray HD releases. {font}

{font:Times New Roman}According to the DVD, “Hello Dolly” was transferred with only 4 track audio; unless there's been a newly remixed version for 5.1? If the video is still only 4 tracks, this is probably not from the original 6 track Todd-AO system. As to what it could be can only be clearly answered by an engineer or somebody who has access to knowledge of what 20th Century Fox Video did. My guess would be a sort of hybrid sound track of the original, produced specifically for the video or it was the only good, practical stereo source available. There are just too many types of possibilities of how an original stereo film, produced before Dolby Labs created a standard is transferred in multipliable tracks for video. Today, there is a standard method for transferring to video, a newly produced (current) motion picture that is Dolby Digital, DTS and Sony SDDS. The older films require some remixing and a few chnages from what it originally might have been! After all, older stereo films were analog sound and not digital. {font}

Thanks for the info. So far "Hello Dolly" is the best of the 1960's era theatrical stereo I've heard so far. "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" seems to be simple stereo and "My Fair Lady" a little better.

Regarding "My Fair Lady", I've learned from the restoration documentary, the *better* of the original source material from the 70mm release was lost and the people involved in the restoration project was left with recordings having less tracks.

Still a bit blown away by the quality of "Hello Dolly", a great way to start off the new year. :)

"Put on Your Sunday Clothes" is my favorite song from the movie.

Forgot to mention, the scene in the movie after Dolly climbed the ladder, when she was talking, there was a noticable reverberation in the bedroom, the echo one hears in room empty of funiture. Nice touch.

Edited by: hamradio on Jan 2, 2012 2:44 AM

Forgot to mention that "Hello Dolly" was one of the very first stereo releases on video and then later on had a second release for surround sound purposes, both for VHS and Laser Disc. This occured during the 1980's. The second Laser Disc release was also in widescreen, while the VHS remained pan-scanned. It's safe to say that most Todd-AO soundtracks have been of a superior content, due in large part to the company realizing a necessity to present a "road-show" presenation with the finest means available. Another good example of an old, high-end multi-soundtrack recording would be "West Side Story." The reason for this was due to Columbia Records having a vestige interest in the produciton. The company own part of the rights to the original stage show. Columbia's part ownership allowed an association with the movie's sound crew and the music department. The results for both the film and the record album were spectacular. Today, the movie is one of only a handful that have both 4 and 6 track audio in existence on film. The success of "West Side Story" and its beautiful audio, led the way for other major, road-show productions to follow in a different direction and Todd-AO had to relinquish its domination and leadership in this field.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings