Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scarlett and Belle?

Guest dredagain

"The success of MGM's Gone with the Wind (1939) spawned many copycats, among them 20th Century Fox's *Belle Starr* (1941), a highly romanticized Technicolor biopic of the flamboyant Old West outlaw queen."

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/461147|http://0/Woman-of-The-West-1-3.html

Huh? Belle Starr is a copycat of Scarlett? I don't see the connection at all ... on any level.

An influence perhaps, but the later film isn't a copycat. They both have in common the romanticism of the glory of the South, a plantation setting, a Civil War subplot, a headstrong female lead and Louise Beavers sitting in for Hattie McDaniel as a character called Mammy.

I tend to think that its greater influence was the success of another Fox film, JESSE JAMES. Once that one clicked, we saw this one from Fox, Universal's WHEN THE DALTONS RODE (both of which had Randolph Scott who was also in JESSE JAMES) and MGM's BILLY THE KID. Brian Donlevy happens to be in the last three films mentioned.

>Huh? Belle Starr is a copycat of Scarlett? I don't see the connection at all ... on any level.

I saw it for the first time tonight, and I started a thread about it.

It is so obvious, for about the first 20 minutes.

At the very beginning, Gene Tierney looks and sounds exactly like Scarlett. She has the same hairstyle, the same clothes, and even the same straw-colored sun bonnet.

She was even imitating Vivien Leigh's accent from Gone With the Wind. There was even the same scene of the carpetbagger telling the newly-freed black slaves, on the streets of Atlanta, that they were going to get the right to vote. It sounded like the same speech from Gone With the Wind.

The house looked like Scarlett was back at Tara after the War. She even had her Mammy with her. As this movie starts, the Yankees have taken over and she has to have some of them to dinner. They finally burn down her house, and then they change the themes of the movie to Belle Starr the outlaw.

I've never seen a film, made by a different company, imitate so much the ending of a famous film made by another company, and this was done on purpose. It is so obvious.

*I tend to think that its greater influence was the success of another Fox film, JESSE JAMES. Once that one clicked, we saw this one from Fox, Universal's WHEN THE DALTONS RODE (both of which had Randolph Scott who was also in JESSE JAMES) and MGM's BILLY THE KID.*

Exactly. And don't forget Fox' own official sequel, THE RETURN OF FRANK JAMES.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings