Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Belle Starr says, "Fiddle-de-de! Ah hate Yankees!"

FredCDobbs

LOL! I read the description to this movie and was set for a bad-*** cowgirl... but once I saw Gene Tierney riding up on her horse and dismounting for her Technicolor glamour closeup I kinda just fell in love... and gave up all hope of rootin' tootin' violence!

I taped "Montana Belle" where Jane Russell plays Belle Star but haven't seen it yet. Why do I have the strange feeling that Ms. Russell manages to pull off the sexy bad girl better than Sweet Gene? ;)

Watching this film again after so many years - it's been at least 30 - was like visiting your elementary school auditorium after you're grown. It seems so large and majestic in your memories but in reality...

At any rate, I just can't believe I liked this one so much in my youth, because after watching it again last night I was really let down by its lack of originality.

Not yet! I don't use it to record anymore,but I still watch tapes.I did make a DVD of both the Belle Starr movies. This is the first time I have seen such a great picture of Belle Starr. I am used to all the faded prints and have even seen black and white versions. You have to love those incredible blue eyes Gene has. Thank you TCM and Fox for showing it.

> {quote:title=Bolesroor wrote:}{quote}It's true, Krieger... I am the last man in America with a VCR. Stacks of TCM tapes on top of my television. I liked the 80's okay?

VHS tapes can be quite durable compared to DVD-R's (as opposed to pressed discs). I'd say about 25% of my DVD-R's that are three years old or older have failed or are failing, while I have quite a few VHS tapes from the mid 80's that still play.

I imagine we'll be hearing shrieks of horror in a couple of years - maybe sooner - when people with large expensive collections of those Warner Archive DVD-R's start discovering that their expensive collections are coasters.

I have over 200 classic movies all on Beta tape. Yea, not even VCR but Beta. Beta was the better format technically so I went with Beta. I had very flexible working hours 20 or more years ago so I would tape movies directly from the TV. There are no commercials on my recordings, but there are missed segments since commercial TV edits to fit time slots.

A few years back my friend's dad pass one and he had a new Sony Betamax unit that was still new in the box (his dad would typically buy two of everything), so I can still watch the tapes. I only have 3 or so DVD, I got as gifts. People think that is strange since they know I'm a classic movie nut, but with TCM and my Beta tapes I have what I need 99% of the time. The tapes all have the same quality as they did when I made them (as far as I can see), and none have broken.

Beta? My hat is off to you.

Well I'm almost an hour into "Montana Belle" and I'm quite puzzled. First, where are Jane's breasts? I've seen lower necklines in a convent. Second, this is clearly the "fake Old West" of 50's TV shows... everything is pink and blue and looks brand new. Plus there are musical numbers, including Jane singing "The Gilded Lily" in a blonde wig... not very bad-***. There is also very little attempt at making this thing look real in the least... oh well, it's always good to see Jane.

The over all quality of DVD is far superior...I've slowly been getting rid of/replacing my VHS tapes, Not as many left that I used to have, which number in the hundreds. I already have a DVD collection (both manufactured and recorded) dissc that's passed the 4,000 number. :^0

Boolsrore(sic) is NOT alone! Recently I had to move AND downsize. Left behind a TON of VHS tapes, which means I STILL have about a ton of 'em.

AND I still use a VCR! I still tape things to watch later. I CANNOT afford DVR service, and won't struggle to get it just so I can remain "current". So, there are TWO "last men with VCR's" in America on this forum.

Speaking of "fake wild west", just whaddya expect from old Hollywood? The guy who owns the store I get my cigarettes from (no lectures, please) hails from Iraq. He recently saw "The Thief of Bhagdad" and told me he CANNOT remember there EVER being BLUE SAND!

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:

> }{quote}Boolsrore(sic) is NOT alone! Recently I had to move AND downsize. Left behind a TON of VHS tapes, which means I STILL have about a ton of 'em.

>

> AND I still use a VCR! I still tape things to watch later.

> So, there are TWO "last men with VCR's" in America on this forum.

>

I'm another...and still have thousands of video tapes.

Add another member to that small club of VCR owners, lol.

I have a stand-alone dvd recorder that I use to permanently record movies, etc, but I love my VCR for popping in a tape at a moment's notice to record something. I also have a ton of old VCR tapes, and although I have duplicated most of them onto dvd, I still can't get rid of them. One of these days....

As for the quality of dvd's, a lot depends on the manufacturer. I used Sony's exclusively for years and years, but within the last year they changed manufacturers and are now producing a cheaper product, it seems. I found this out when my recorder started spitting out discs I had ordered as part of my bi-annual stash. That had never happened, ever. So after much research, I decided to try Verbatim, but they, too, can be iffy, depending on where they are made. My first order had swirls and defects on them, the replacement came with a broken spindle and discs spilling out into the box, and the third order had some discs where you could see the printing on the burn side from the dvd in front of it. Not really sure how these will do in the long run. My original Sony's still look as good as the the day I recorded them. I have a precious few original Sony's left that I dole out for those movies that come around once in a blue moon, lol.

Most burned DVD failures are due to crummy media. NEVER use Memowrecks!. The only DVDs to use any more are Verbatim AZO, or Verbatim Datalife, - NOT "Verbatim Life," (which is what they sell at most B&M stores these days.) Better yet, order Taiyo Yuden DVDs from Supermediastore, where they are often on sale in cake boxes of 100, and you get free shipping. I've used thousands of Verb AZO, and Taiyo Yuden, with only two or three coasters.

Wow, so many things I could comment on , on this interesting thread that got derailed (in a good way!)

the film...Gene looked great! other than that...

I too have several VCRs, but I record only on DVDs now...of course, DVD recorders will no doubt disappear with many folks using DVRs and streaming video . So you VCR only guys and gals ought to grab one while they are still around...Blank DVDs are cheaper than VHS tapes, but "Memowrecks" (LOL, so very true, just like their VHS tapes too!) and TDK (from time to time) can cause a lot of coasters to be made. I will not buy momowrecks ever again...at that is all Walmart carries.

Of course, I had a DVD recorder going bad and before it died it was rejecting more and more blank discs.

Wish I would see Taiyo Yuden discs in stores...hear nothing but good things about them, but I usually have to get discs TODAY and can't wait to order(or afford to buy 200 discs at a time)

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}Most burned DVD failures are due to crummy media. NEVER use Memowrecks!. The only DVDs to use any more are Verbatim AZO, or Verbatim Datalife, - NOT "Verbatim Life," (which is what they sell at most B&M stores these days.) Better yet, order Taiyo Yuden DVDs from Supermediastore, where they are often on sale in cake boxes of 100, and you get free shipping. I've used thousands of Verb AZO, and Taiyo Yuden, with only two or three coasters.

The problem isn't so much with DVDs that come out as coasters. In almost five years of recording I think that has only happened to me a couple of times, once even with Verbatim! Even if this does happen you know where you stand and can simply make another disc. The real problem is when you have a good DVD-R recording, put it on the shelf, and bring it out two or three years later and it has problems. Maybe it does play, but it will freeze in spots. In the meantime, you've thought you had a good recording all of this time.

When you use crappy media, they will usually play for a while, then go bad while sitting on a shelf, because the errors accumulate past a correctable amount. Good media very rarely does that. Of course, your DVDR that does the burning may also give good burns, or marginal burns that go bad. There are people on the Audio Video Science Forum who have been checking their discs regularly, for years, to see if the error rate increases. Good media, with a good initial burn, will last a long time.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings