Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
casablancalover

World's Oldest Profession in movies

If we switched over to mere "floozies" from prostitutes, Barbara Nichols in her various roles should be prominently mentioned.

> What is the word for a male "floozie"? A flooz?

Gigolo is used a lot in the movies.

Casablanca, I was alluding more to the idea that in many instances in film making, or movie making(for those here who feel there IS a difference), the willingness to sacrifice dignity, self respect and integrity to make bucks has a correlation to prostitution, IMHO. How many times did you see a movie in which you felt that, "So-and-so is TOO GOOD an actress/actor to be doing such TRIPE"?

Sepiatone

I had to google the definition of floozie and it is different than Gigolo. A gigolo takes money from women and lives off of women. While a floozie might to that (take money from men) a women can be a floozie just by having so called immoral behavior (e.g. sleeping around). Because laugange is often sexist there really isn't a term simliar like floozie for a man, that I can think of. That was why I made my initial joke.

Aha! I see your point now. An actor prostituting themselves for a chance on the screen, so to speak. And the resulting movie leaves us all wondering how far the actor would go for a role.

In light of your view, the comment is very good! I'm sorry I stepped on your creative toes. My bad.

>jamejazzguitar wrote:

>I had to google the definition of floozie and it is different than Gigolo. A gigolo takes money from women and lives off of women. While a floozie might to that (take money from men) a women can be a floozie just by having so called immoral behavior (e.g. sleeping around). Because laugange is often sexist there really isn't a term simliar like floozie for a man, that I can think of.

I know the term. A *man.*

Sadly, so many men indulge in the practice that is not considered unique enough to be given a label.

****--is a good word--I always think of Dot Malone in "Written on the Wind"==but it can apply to men too.

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> > jamejazzguitar wrote:

> > I had to google the definition of floozie and it is different than Gigolo. A gigolo takes money from women and lives off of women. While a floozie might to that (take money from men) a women can be a floozie just by having so called immoral behavior (e.g. sleeping around). Because laugange is often sexist there really isn't a term simliar like floozie for a man, that I can think of.

> I know the term. A *man.*

>

> Sadly, so many men indulge in the practice that is not considered unique enough to be given a label.

Why CHARLOTTE!!! I'm SHOCKED to learn you think so little of us guys!!! :0

Okay, maybe rightly so. ;)

Actually, I think the term you and james are searching for to describe a "male floozie" is, "a Player"...at least in the current vernacular, anyway.

*The Red Lily,* 1924: Enid Bennett becomes separated from her lover, becomes a prostitute to survive. Great film.

*Waterloo Bridge*, 1931: Mae Clarke becomes a prostitute during World War I when she loses her job as a chorus girl and thinks her fiance on the war front, has been killed. Same for Vivien Leigh in the 1940 remake, with changes to sanitize because of the Hays code. She is a ballerina in a prestigious company. Then becomes a prostitute after losing her job and finding no other means to survive thinking her fiance has been killed.

*The World of Suzy Wong*, 1960: Nancy Kwan plays a Chinese prostitute. William Holden falls for her.

*BUtterfield 8*, 1960: Elizabeth Taylor plays a high class call girl. Won Best Actress.

Edited by: Roberta109 on Jan 7, 2012 10:25 PM

No one has mentioned Ken Russell's ******, which he made in response to *Pretty Woman*, which disgusted him, as he thought it made a fairy tale of the profession, and would entice little girls to go into it.

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}A Player... hum, sanitized..

Yeah, I suppose so. But, don't forget...this IS a "family oriented" website, and so I had to keep it clean for all the kiddies around here! ;)

(...hey, and speakin' of "family *oriented* "...if ya THINK about it, isn't that the general storyline for both *The Good Earth* and *Dragon Seed* ???...yeah, sorry, that one WAS pretty lame, wasn't it...but hey, it's late, so gimme a break here, okay?!)

Oh, completely forgot about Mira.. Sorry about that, Mira. Sorta follows your other career moves.. I need to write you a comedy that won't be forgotten.

Then my two favorites, doncha know-- you betcha..

Larissa Kokernot

Melissa Peterman

From Fargo.

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}Which is why, dear Dargo, the accepted form is now Asian.

>

> It's sorta a flat pun. I know you're capable of better..

>

I KNEW either you or somebody out there would correct me with the whole, "the word 'oriental' is no longer used", thing.

BUT, then again, the way Chico Marx plays around with the the whole "Italian broken English" thing is pretty much non-PC now TOO, and I'll tell ya right now, there's NO WAY I'm EVER gonna stop watchin' and laughin' out loud at him and his brothers in all their movies just 'cause HE'S talkin' in what is considered nowadays in a non-PC manner. :^0

(...just call me "Old School" that way, I suppose) ;)

Worry not, Dargo. I grew up next door to a family of Italian immigrants who just LOVED Chico Marx! ("'E crecks me opp!")

Sepiatone

Yep, but my point wasn't that there aren't Italian-Americans who have a great sense of humor, Sepiatone. Heck! My wife is third generation Italian-American, and SHE has a great sense of humor.

(...she MUST have...she married ME, didn't SHE???!!!) :^0

Nope, my point was more that it has become "non-PC" to poke fun of anyone's accent or heritage...especially if the one poking the fun isn't of that particular heritage, as was the case with Leonard "Chico" Marx, who I believe was Swedish...though I could be mistaken about that! ;)

Well, that was sort of what I was trying to convey, Dargo. These next door neighbors knew Chico was really "Swedish", but didn't care. But all this was "pre-PC".

The bothersome thing is that those "PC-weenies" feel noble about standing up and defending the "dignity" of many people who, in the first place, can sound off if they feel the need to, but weren't possibly offended in the first place! For instance, I knew a guy that is blind. Haven't been in touch with him in years. But I DO recall when some "PC-weenie" asked him how difficult he felt life was being "visually challenged". His reply? "Well, it would be less of a challenge if I wasn't BLIND!"

Hell, I'm 3rd generation American-Polish( I always put America first), so whaddya think I had to put up with? Thing is, I LOVE a good "Polack joke"!

Sepiatone

Barbars Stanwick* and Jane Fonda et al in *A Walk On The Wild Side* (1962)

Male hustlers River Phoenix and Kennau Reeves et al in *My Own Private Idaho* (1991)

...*corrected

Edited by: flashback42 on Jan 8, 2012 5:10 PM

> {quote:title=flashback42 wrote:}{quote}Barbars Streisand and Jane Fonda et al in *A Walk On The Wild Side* (1962)

>

> Male hustlers River Phoenix and Kennau Reeves et al in *My Own Private Idaho* (1991)

...you mean Barbara Stanwyck. Streisand did play a hooker in *Nuts* (1987). Very underrated performance.

Yes...the one with Phoenix and Reeves is a wonderful (and quirky) movie about male ho's. :)