Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Complaint ! What a way to start the New Year!

Ok folks, I know I've left this kind of late...I should have posted it last night, around 7:50, when I realized that TCM was going to air *Fail-Safe* at prime time on New Year's Eve.

What were these guys thinking? It's rarely - if ever, come to think of it - that I complain about Turner Classic Movies' choice of programming, both content and timing. Normally, I don't care, let 'em do what they want, I always find something on their schedule that's interesting to me, and when I don't, I have many other things to do. And probably last night I wouldn't have watched the station anyway ( my New Year's Eve tradition is rather dull, I'm afraid - no parties, just staying in with my husband. We buy a bottle of decent sparkling wine, order in some Chinese food, and watch a movie from our own collection, something fun and upbeat ( once it was Woody Allen's *Radio Days*, which is not only a lot of fun, but has a great New Year's Eve scene at the end, all these radio celebrities drinking champagne and philosophizing on the roof of the toni nightclub they're patronizing.)

But I digress...I can't think of many things more depressing than the threat of nuclear war. Agreed, it is an important topic , and worth making a film about. But a depressing, devastating, frightening scenario like the one in *Fail -Safe*, on New Year's Eve? ! Couldn't they program something fun, entertaining, or , if they must be serious, inspiring and hopeful, for the night before a new year?

As I said, I usually can't be bothered to question the programming decisions at TCM, but this one was "in my opinion", seriously misguided.

Andy, I love almost anything with Richard Widmark in it, and *Panic in the Streets* is no exception. Good film, borderline noir.

And yes, it did have a happier ending than the film which preceded it.

Still, it looks like the schedule for New Year's Eve was just thrown together - I could have programmed a better New Year's Eve night of programming than that.

I deliberately watched the intro to PANIC IN THE STREETS to see if a theme was mentioned. Apparently what linked the films was a "time is running out" theme to coincide with the end of the year.

I didn't watch one of them and so far today the schedule has had quite a few of "TCM's Greatest Hits" that I've yet to be interested in turning the set on. I mean c'mon, THE SEARCHERS and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS have both aired within the last five days.

I can hear the programmers now "How can he not be interested, neither of them has aired since last year!"

I will make it a point to watch LOVER COME BACK at 8pm as it's my favorite of the Day/Hudson pairings.

I have a complaint!!!

This is the second thread to be started about the same subject since yesterday.

On Hot Topics forum yesterday at 1:15PM, LadyinPrague started a thread about this same subject. The thread was titled:

Happy New Year?!?!

Maybe in the future you could check to see if another thread exists on the same subject before starting up yet another thread on a different forum.

Sorry Marilynn2, it was a local Detroit station, WADL channel 38, (Comcast Cable 14.) Up until a few years ago they showed mostly informercial, home shopping and religous programing. In September of 2007 they got their act together. I think they have Rocky & Bullwinkle on DVD.

clore, TCM usually has a "theme" that somehow connects the films they show in the evening, and I couldn't figure out what last night's was. I must admit I did not watch TCM last night, just saw what was lined up on their schedule. So, yeah, thanks for bringing me up to speed with what their theme last night was. Actually, the "time is running out" idea does make sense - also explains *D.O.A.*, a fine little noir and a movie that's all about time running out!

fxreyman, I usually do check out most of the forums and threads before starting a thread of my own. I've been a little out of the loop lately, haven't gone on this site for a couple of weeks or so and am not up to date on everything going on around here lately.

So I've since read the thread about this in Hot Topics and yes, the O.P. says pretty much what I'm saying in this thread. Should have looked before I leaped, I guess.

On that note, I wish the powers that be here - ie, the TCM boards moderator(s) would go back to something they use to do: when more than one thread about the same topic was started, they'd lock the upstart thread and post a notice that the discussion could be continued on an earlier thread on the same subject, usually with a link to that thread. It prevented duplication, and people who were interested in the topic didn't have to wander all over the forums to keep up on what was being said in all the different threads about the same thing.

ps- hey, darkblue, thanks for your defence ! Is it as rainy and non-wintery in your part of Canada as it is in mine?

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}clore, TCM usually has a "theme" that somehow connects the films they show in the evening, and I couldn't figure out what last night's was.

No, neither could I and that was why I had to satisfy my curiosity. When I look at the schedule, it's like a word puzzle to me and I'm pretty good with those things. I just couldn't figure the link for last night's sked and I've seen all of the films in the set.

As far as ICE STATION ZEBRA goes, now that I put it in context of the theme, I must admit that it doesn't work as well as the others. When time is running out, it shouldn't run out so slowly. ;) That film moves at a glacial pace.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

>

> As far as ICE STATION ZEBRA goes, now that I put it in context of the theme, I must admit that it doesn't work as well as the others. When time is running out, it shouldn't run out so slowly. ;) That film moves at a glacial pace.

clore, baby, you're so much pun.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}Someone at TCM may beleive its fitting to show "Fail Safe" for the beginning of 2012, thinking this year might end with a bang.

>

> We are going to be doomsdayed to death the remainder of the year. :^0

>

>

> 12742.jpg

>

Well, in THAT case ham, I have a question that's kinda sorta like MissW's complaint here:

IF, as you said, we're going to be "doomsdayed to death" because of all this "Mayan calendar" jazz, then the very least TCM's programers could've done here would've been to start all that nonsense off with a LAUGH!

Uh huh! I'm sayin' instead of *Fail Safe*, they could've shown us the SUPERIOR version of that movie!

(...yeah, YOU know...the one that stars Peter Sellers in three different roles...yeah, THAT one!) ;)

Yeah! OR, the Coca-Cola Company...WHICH, coincidentally I understand, is headquartered in the very same Georgia city as TCM ;)

(...I ask you...was Keenan Wynn absolutely memorable in just about everything he was ever in or WHAT?)

Uh huh! I'm sayin' instead of *Fail Safe*, they could've shown us the SUPERIOR version of that movie!

I would rather have seen THE BEDFORD INCIDENT over either of those two films. My favorite of the Columbia disaster trilogy.

I agree with you Ms Wonderly... I understand the "countdown" theme on New Year's Eve but "Fail Safe" is indeed a stark, sobering movie for a night that is usually meant for celebration. The film is like being doused with a bucket of ice water... I still try to picture how audiences of the time got up from their seats in the theater and went home, most likely speechless at the prospect of the scenario in the movie.

"Radio Days" on NYE... excellent choice! ;)

In my opinion your opinion is 100% valid. The end of December-into-January schedule was as wacky a line-up as ever we've seen. Fail Safe as an encore for NYE, Night of the Living Dead, shorts galore (many without any discernable theme or reason to be played), Close Encounters and The Searchers BOTH ON TWICE WITHIN FIVE DAYS, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington for the 200th time, The Marx Brothers, some Z-Grade horror and DOA as the first movie of the New Year. And I know I'm forgetting to mention a few other oddballs.

I think the money in the 2011 programming budget just ran out and it was either this or Suck it: 48 Hours of "The Yearling", Whether You Like it or Not.

Edited by: JonnyGeetar on Jan 2, 2012 9:51 AM

> {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:}{quote}1. The evening's theme was "Time is running out". B-)

>

> 2. They obviously wanted to start the New Year "with a blast"? ;)

>

>

>

>

>

> 3. Jeezuz....no one told you that you HAD to watch it. :P

>

1) Our friend clore beat you to it - he on purpose watched the intros and outros that night, discovered it was a "time is running out" theme, and kindly posted that information shortly after my original post on subject. But thank you anyway. :)

2) Well, that's one way of looking at it. ]:)

3) krieger, baby, did you read my original post on this thread? I go out of my way to say that I normally do not complain or object to TCM's programming decisions - it very well may be the first time I ever have. I also said that I probably wouldn't have watched TCM that night no matter what it was showing, I have my own New Year's Eve agenda. Ironically, I tend to be the one who tells others they can always watch something else, or do something else. That's right, no one was holding a nuclear bomb to my head to watch TCM on New Year's Eve. I was just observing that it was an odd and depressing choice of film for that special night. Who wants a doomsday theme on New Year's Eve? I mean, I get it, yeah, time is running out- but hey, they could have done a "time is running out on those boxing day sales" theme just as easily. Maybe. ;)

Edited by: misswonderly on Jan 2, 2012 10:19 AM

The 'time is running out' theme carried over to today's schedule (January 2nd) with the airing of MGM's terrifying atomic bomb story THE BEGINNING OR THE END. Is this because 2012 is supposed to be the last year of (hu)mankind...according to the Mayans...? LOL

A cheering prospect ...I wonder why so many people seem to kind of like the idea of the end of the world? Not in fiction, but for real. Personally, I'd rather be in Philadelphia, Toronto, Amsterdam, or anywhere in the world, as long as the world continues to exist. Which, contrary to apparent popular opinion, I hope will be for a very long time to come.