Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey, lookie here!

slaytonf

Some new, some reairings, but I missed them:

*Love on the Run*. (I know it was last night.) Can Shoot the Piano Player be far behind?

*In Like Flint*. James Coburn! Girls in bikinis! Criminal masterminds! International peril! Oh boy! Can Our Man Flint be far behind? (and what about Michael Cane's Harry Palmer movies?)

*Marion Davies Day*. A delightful, charming actress. Her movies are not so much, it's just her. (If you don't like her, don't be too mean.)

*The Andromeda Strain*. Good, if somewhat impersonal biological thriller. Pre-Jurassic Park Michael Chichton.

*Last Man on Earth*. The original adaptation of Richard Matthesson's I Am Legend. Still the best.

*Great Catherine*. Just from the cast, I'm interested.

*Love and Death.* Woody Allen when he was still funny.

*Story of Floating Weeds* and *Floating Weeds.* A great director remakes a work of his own, and for once it's hard to say which one is better.

*Martin Luther Kink Jr's Birthday Day*, particularly *Lost Boundaries*, and *The Learning Tree*, as I haven't seen them. *Stir Crazy.* Gene Wilder, and Richard Pryor. That's enough. And *Watermelon Man*. Another example in the long wearing list of Hollywood's underuse and misuse of a superior talent: Godfrey Cambridge. This movie being an exception.

*The Court Jester*. Danny Kaye's best movie (and the only one I like). Clever, funny, and Glynnis Johns.

*Island of Lost Souls*. Eeerie, unsettling example of how an old film can portray powerful, elemental stories as modern movies are not able.

*Nights of Cabiria.* Little discussed Fellini as good as anything he did, and better than most. Very sad, very painful tale. But for some reason, you do not feel bad about the human condition. Fellini does you the justice of not sugar-coating or diluting the story. Giulietta Masina; oh the world should be so grateful she existed and acted.

*Max Ophuls Night.* The great, the glorious, the Max Ophuls.

*Soylet Green.* "Soylent Green is . . . . " well, you know.

Not a bad month.

I was looking at the Wikipedia page of the WABC 4:30 Movie in New York, (variations of which appeared in Chicago, my home area of Detroit, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.) It said they had an "Our Man Flint Week." Since they only made two Flint movies I guess they had to stretch those two films over a couple of days. That sounds odd since I remember how sharply those film were edited. It just sounds weird.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings