Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

***ASK MONGO***

Feaito, Sorry to say that I hit a brick wall thus far on your question regarding Genevieve of Brabant but I will continue to research it.

In the meantime if any members looking in can shed some light on this it would greatly be appreciated.

Mongo

Mongo - I'd also like to thank you for the info regarding Ross Alexander. I saw him a few years ago in "Ready, Willing, and Able" with Ruby Keeler, and I thought he was good in it. Afterwards I read that he killed himself, and it always puzzled me since he seemed successful. But I guess it was the debt and the death of his first wife. Thanks for shedding a little light on his life.

Dear Mongo,

I am looking for the title of a movie that I believe was made in the 1960's. I believe it starred Sandra Dee but I'm not sure. It was certainly of that genre of movies. Also I think the male lead role was a singer. One of the charming scenes that I remember from the movie was when the young, single lady (Sandra Dee?) was lying in bed and was talking on the phone to a boy. She ended up falling asleep while on the phone and then woke in the morning to his voice and was extremely embarrassed to discover that they had "slept together". I might be confusing movies but I also think there may have been a comedic scene where some people were trying to hoist a piano (possibly a baby grand) up the outside of a tall apartment building to one of the higher up floors. (It couldn't be taken up the stairs). Does this ring any bells?

Thanks for your help,

Wallflower2Day

Although I myself havn't seen some of the late Sandra Dee's films in years I was wondering if the movie could be "If a Man Answers" (1962) which starred Dee with singer Bobby Darin.

Any more info on the plot would probably help.

Mongo

This is such an excellent thread that I hate to see it fall by the wayside. I wish I had a "better" question for you, but if you can answer this one, I (and perhaps Lolite, too) are interested.

In so many Doris Day movies, her wardrobe consisted of some great Fashion Designs. Can you tell us who was responsible for creating them, and also if they had any influence on the Fashion Trends of the day?

Good Morning Mongo,

Two questions for you.......Please give me any data you have on the silent film JOHNSTOWN FLOOD with George O'Brien . Also any info on serial queen Helen Holmes and a list of her serials, if possible.

Thanks,

Ken

Although Doris Day had designers such as Edith Head and Helen Rose for some of her films, it was Jean Louis and Irene who created some of the best sensations for her in the hit films "Pillow Talk", "The Thrill of it

All", "Send Me No Flowers", "Midnight Lace" and "Lover Come Back".

And yes these designers had an impact on the fashions of that time which culminated into copies for some leading department stores and salons, just as they do today.

ML thanks for your interest in this thread.

Mongo

Ken, actress Helen Holmes kicked off her serial career with the 48 episode "The Hazards of Helen" (1914-15). She appeared in episodes 1 thru 48 although it was more like a series rather than a serial.

She made a total of 8 serials of which 6 are listed here:

"The Girl and the Game" (1915) 15 episodes.

"The Lass of the Lumberlands" (1916) 15 episodes.

"The Lost Express" (1917) 15 episodes

"The Railroad Raiders" (1917) 15 episodes

"The Fatal Fortune" (1919) 15 episodes

"Battling Brewster" (1924) 15 episodes

Most of Miss Holmes serials featured a railroad background. She made some feature length films before leaving the screen and died in 1950 at age 58.

I don't have much to offer you about the film "Johnstown Flood" (1926) with George O'Brien and Janet Gaynor. It was nice to know that it was bit player Clark Gable's last silent film and it also had Carole Lombard in the cast.

I will continue to research the film for you.

Mongo

Hey mongo, I wonder if you could tell me about the life of Maurice Chevalier. He is mentioned quite often on these boards but I really don't know much about him personally. Thanks in advance and keep up the great work!

Maurice Chevalier was Paris's inimitable bouleverdier with his trademark straw hat, tux and cane he is most fondly recalled for his early 1930's musicals "The Love Parade" for which he was Oscar nominated best actor.

Other major films include "The Smiling Lieutenant", "One Hour With You", "Love Me Tonight", "The Merry Widow" etc.

His theme song was "Louise".

Was married only once to Yvonne Vallee whom he divorced in 1932 after only 5 years of marriage.

His later films included "Love in the Afternoon", "Can Can" and the delightful "Gigi".

Unfortunately his final movie was the dismal "Monkeys, Go Home!".

He died of cardiac arrest after surgery for a kidney problem in 1972 at age 83.

For a more informative biography of Mr.Chevalier go to IMDb.com which also has a list of his films and a bio by Leonard Maltin.

Mongo

Mongo, hope you have a great Saturday off;-)

When you return, I'd like to know what are some of the greatest films thought lost forever from the 30's & 40's due to neglect (e.g. they weren't restored in time to save them). I know a high percentage of pre-1930 films were lost, I'm curious about those classics after 1930 which are thought to be no longer around.

Thanks!

Hi Mongo--Since it's Oscar night tonight, I have a question about the Oscars. Do you happen to know what actor or actress has appeared in the most Best Picture winners? I'm not just talking about the stars but the supporting players too. I've been thinking about this since yesterday.

Hi Mongo.....if possible, do you have any details on the life of Fredric March? His Death Takes A Holiday is coming up in March...hah, March in March!...and I was wondering if he had a happy life? I hope he did.

I tend to speak in hyperbole about the actors I like, especially the ones I like a lot. There's a reason. I reallllly value what they do. It's not an easy job, the rejection must be tortue, and only a few 'make it'. And looking, thanks to TCM, at the consistently amazing work so many wonderful actors (both male and female) did in the 1930s and 1940s, for the little money in comparison to today's hacks, gives me even more respect for them.

Many details are known about one of my favorites, Cary Grant, similarly William Powell, but I can't recall much about March. He was equally mesmerizing for me, in no small part because I found him a hunk, so any details you have would be very welcome.

I'd ask the same about my top hunk, Warren William, but I doubt there's much written about him at all.:(

Thanks much!

Hi again Mongo--I've come up with 4 women and 8 men who have been in 3 Best Pictures. I thought the tie breaker would be a cameo in Around the World in 80 Days but 2 of the above mentioned are in the movie, but none of the rest. Tell me I'm close to being right LOL.

Brackenhe if my calculations are right you are very close in your analysis. Good work.

I got in late today so I will do further research on your question for tomorrow afternoon since I am getting ready to watch the Oscars.

The same goes for the questions from stoneyburke and path.

Thank you all.

Mongo

Thanks mongo--after I posted the question I decided to look into it myself, not knowing it would be quite a task. However, here's what I came up with.

Men--Harry Davenport (The Life of Emile Zola, You Can't Take it With You & Gone With the Wind)

Donald Crisp (Mutiny on the Bounty, How Green Was My Valley & The Life of Emile Zola)

John Cazale (Godfather 1 & 2 & The Deer Hunter)

Jack Nicholson (One Few Over the Cuckoo's Nest, As Good As it Gets & Terms of Endearment)

Clark Gable (It Happened One Night, Mutiny on the Bounty & Gone with the Wind)

Hugh Griffith (Ben Hur, Tom Jones & Oliver!)

Dustin Hoffman (Rain Man, Kramer Vs. Kramer & Midnight Cowboy)

John Gielgud (Around the World in 80 Days, Gandhi & Chariots of Fire)

Women--Meryl Streep (The Deer Hunter,Kramer Vs. Kramer & Out of Africa)

Diane Keaton (Godfather 1 & 2 & Annie Hall)

Talia Shire (Godfather 1 & 2 and Rocky)

Shirley McLaine (Around the World in 80 Days, Terms of Endearment & The Apartment)

If there are any I missed please let me know.