Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

***ASK MONGO***

Dysthymia, the only film I could locate in the time period you mentioned is "A Letter to Three Wives" (1949) in which Douglas is married with 2 boys. It doesn't quite fit the synopsis of the movie you mention.

Are you sure it was Kirk Douglas playing the part?

Mongo

Vallo, although Tom Hulce didn't reach the heights as he did in "Amadeus", he was outstanding in the movie "Dominick and Eugene" (1988) as a mentally handicapped twin. He also appeared in "Parenthood" among other films.

He also did voiceover work including Disney's "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" as Quasimedo. After a few years away from the screen he is currently in production with a new movie.

A stage actor, he was nominated for a Tony Award.

Married in 1996 (1 daughter) he has filed for divorce. He resides in Seattle, Washington where he owns a home.

Dear Mongo,

I wish I knew if Kirk Douglas is the actor mentioned. I saw this question on another movie site and no one ever could help the person discover what movie this could be. (serves me right for reading the darn question to begin with ;-(

I've seen A Letter To Three Wives and I seem to remember (was it Ann Sothern?) being very uppity with husband Kirk Douglas at a dinner for some sponsors for her radio show......maybe this was the "incident" in question.

Thank you so much. I wish this movie would be shown again soon so I could check it out. It's a great movie whether or not any such cocktails were mentioned.

Message was edited by:

Dysthymia

mongo, forgive me for jumping in here...I don't think tha Dysthymia' s movie is A LETTER TO THREE WIVES. Kirk is married in that film and plays a teacher. I just saw it recently and there is no scene like that in the film.

Maybe this movie doesn't star Kirk Douglas but someone else.

Sandy K

Dysthymia, your welcome. I just wish I knew the actor who played the part.

And Sandy, you can jump in anytime you please. Your always welcome here.

I did explain to Dysthymia that I didn't think it was the movie "A Letter to Three Wives" since the synopsis was different.

Although I believe that Douglas did mix drinks for the guest in "...Wives".

Mongo

Mongo,

I feel so guilty. I read that movie question on another forum and no one could discover which movie it was ( the Kirk Douglas potassium cocktails movie ;-)

so after going crazy trying to find out...I thought I'd post the question here and now I've haunted the nice people here with what in the world is this movie..............

I appreciate the help and suggestions so much. It appears Mr. Douglas may not be the actor at all...... It serves me right for reading the question in the first place............

Peace to all,

Kat (Dysthymia)

Message was edited by:

Dysthymia

Kat, don't feel guilty, you've given us all food for thought, which is fun. Letter to Three Wives is one of my favorite movies and I don't remember a scene like that, but memory often fails. Douglas is indeed married to Ann Sothern, happily I might add, regardless of Addy Ross. And I believe they have 2 sons. He does mix cocktails for the guests, however, they are liquor cocktails, I'm sure. The thing that throws me is "pursues a widow with 2 small boys", which as I've mentioned, he's happily married in 3 Wives. I do have a copy of this movie and am going to search for it. We had water back-up in the basement last summer and most of my videos are packed away, but I'm going to look cuz this question is really taxing my brain. *grin* Somewhere, I do remember a scene in which these 'potassium cocktails' are discussed, whether it be in 3 Wives or another movie...be it Kirk Douglas or someone else. Inquiring minds want to know. lol

Dear Scarlett,

You've made me feel so much better. I'm sorry about your basement flood, hope all is well. I am beginning to doubt the Kirk Douglas part now (as I recall he was indeed married to Ann Sothern in the movie and no "juice bar was in the scene....) but I seem to remember something about the radio sponsors (the woman) not drinking liquor or something like that? Does this sound familiar? Wonder if Kirk is jokingly making "potassium" cocktails for them?

I know the feeling about that potassium cocktail thing. I remember hearing it in a movie somewhere but WHERE is the question.

I used to have A Letter To Three Wives on tape and I stupidly taped over top of it one mistaken evening. It's one of my all time favorites, too.

Thank you for making me feel wanted :-)

Peace,

Kat

Message was edited by:

Dysthymia

Message was edited by:

Dysthymia

Kat, there was no need to get yourself upset about the question. There have been many questions asked with very little to go on, in past posts and we still attempt to get an answer.

It could possibly still be the movie "A Letter to Three Wives" as I suggested after the initial question.

Please don't let this sway you from using the thread in the future. You are always welcome to ask whatever question you want.

Mongo

Kat, I watched "A Letter to Three Wives" last night and we could rule it out. There was no mention of a potassium cocktail.

I will continue to search around though since I also heard of that cocktail mentioned in a movie.

Mongo

Mongo, you beat me to it, but I haven't been able to find my copy yet, so good thing. I was thinking maybe that scene was in a 'flashback' that Kirk had, but I guess not. We'll find it sooner or later. hehe The Usual Suspects is a good movie, and I saw it not that long ago, so maybe that IS where I heard it, as well. Although that movie was made a lot later, one would think, than the one that was "maybe" a Kirk Douglas movie.

One way or the other, I'd sure love TCM to air Letter to Three Wives.

Mongo....or anyone.......I'm going to ask this here so I don't have to start a new thread. In the preview of the Oscar movies that they show on TCM, where they have short clips from many movies, there is one that I've been wondering about for a long time. I've got all the rest of them except this one so please tell me what movie it's from. It's a pair of legs up in the air and a man opening them and looking through them at the person. I can't make out the person or the movie. Thanks.

Mongo,

You seem to be the "go-to person" when it comes to movie trivia, so I'm appealing to you for aid. Tried a thread of my own and received very little info. Do you know the movies that are included in the "open all night" intro? The bus scene is Strangers on a Train, the fur coat modeling is Pennies from Heaven, and I was told that the car turnig its lights off is from The Wrong Man, but other than that, I'm stumped. Just one of those things I wonder about everytime I see the intro. Help with any of the others would be appreiated : )