Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

***ASK MONGO***

Hi Mongo,

Someone asked me today, at a committe luncheon, what had happened to Pat Priest, the homely relative of "The Munsters"..... I had to think about who she was; haven't heard about her in years.......

Have you any information on what became of her and is she still alive?

Thanks,

Larry

Larry, lovely Pat Priest is still around and will turn 70 in August.

Selected as one of the Capitol's "Ten Most Beautiful Women" while living in Washington D.C. with her mother, U.S. Treasurer Ivy Baker Priest, whose signature appeared on U.S. currency from 1953 to 1961.

She is the second actress to play the part of Marilyn Munster on the popular TV series "The Munsters".

After the show ended, she guested on various TV programs and was also appeared in the movie "The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant", leaving show business in the 1970s.

She was married twice and has 2 sons. Last reported to be living in Idaho where she restores and resells houses.

Unfortunately she was diagnosed with lymphoma and is undergoing treatment.

Best wishes to the lady.

I saw this movie 7 or 8 years ago. It was probably made in late 50's or 60's. It was in color. The story occurred on a tropical island and either John Wayne or Brian Keith was main character who was a dad raising sons on the island. (I'm pretty sure it was John Wayne). The mother and he were separated, I think. It had beautiful scenery and was a lovely story. It seems that on into the story there was a war brewing, possibly, or maybe it was a storm. I usually don't watch John Wayne movies because they were usually a little chauvinistic, but this one wasn't that way. I know I haven't described it very well, and I saw a similar type movie with John Wayne on an island and a young woman comes to stay at his house.This is not it. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it. I would really like to see it again.

Dear Mongo -- I'm trying to find out the name of a film I saw on TCM several years ago. It was black and white, I'm guessing from the 50's. It's set in England in a post-WW II scenario where Hitler won the war and England has its own fascist government. The protagonist is a nurse who joins the Party and starts working at a state-run hospital. She soon finds out that is a place to euthanize people with tuberculosis. She leaves to join the resistance movement, and that's where the film ends. I thought "can't happen here" might be part of the title, but this hasn't yielded anything through various search engines. It is a wonderful, although bleak, film. Thanks in advance for your help! -- Wanet

Thank you, Coffedan. May I just add that the leading lady was Pauline Murray, who is credited with just two films in her career.

Also the movie was made by teenagers and shot with a 16mm camera.

Sharondave, I didn't forget about your question. After some research I couldn't locate a film with that synopsis, that starred either John Wayne or Brian Keith.

Is there any other actor that comes to mind?

Dear Mongo,

Scarlett's question reminded me of a movie where Bette Davis played a set of identical twins.I'm not sure exactly why,but the bad twin murders the good twin.I do remember that she took the role of the good twin.She was asked to sign some papers,but her handwriting was different from her sister's,so she took a stoker from the fireplace and burned her hand when no one was around,so she'd have an excuse to write with the other hand.I know I must sound stupid,but that's all I can remember.Do you know what the title of this film is?I'd love to see it again.

Identical twins.

Great, now they're both going to be smoking incessantly.

Actually, the film's called A STOLEN LIFE (1946). Interestingly, one of the siblings played by Bette has the name of a current actress, Kate Bosworth (the twin is called Patricia).

Kathcat,

I think Bette Davis made two movies in which she was twins. One in the ?40s and one in the ?50s. In the first one the bad twin died in a boat accident and the good twin took her place with her husband. In the first film, as the bad twin, Davis acted like she did in her ?bad girl? movies, and as the good twin she acted like she did in her ?good quiet shy girl? movies.

Hi Kathcat,

Mongo's correct; the name of your movie is "Dead Ringer" (1964). That's the film where she burns herself with the poker.

It also starred Karl Malden and Peter Lawford....

It's one of my favourite movies and the highlight is when Edie shouts at Maggie: "And, to HELL with you!!"".... Pure Bette Davis.....

Larry

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, a TCM subscriber from Greece. Through TCM's vendor NOVA in Greece, we only get the evening listings starting at 21:00 GMT which follow the European & North Africa schedule. Nova uses this same channel as a cartoon channel during the daytime.

As a result I don't get to see films that are shown during the day (at least in the last 4 months since I started creating a library of old movies) and it's very disappointing for the obvious reasons.

Does anyone know where and how I can get in touch with the programmers responsible for Europe-N. Africa so I can ....have a word with them?

I would appreciate any help that someone can provide me with as I don't see on the main TCM site or even the UK one to have a facility for communication.

Thanking you in advance

Theogift

Theogift, first of all welcome to the boards. It's nice to have a member join us from Greece.

I for one, do not know the answer to your question, however you can be certain that one of our knowledgable members in-tuned to the subject matter will help you out with your question.

Just hold tight.

Thank you for the welcome and your response Mongo. Maybe I should start a thread addressed to administration if that was to solve my problem.

As a correction to my previous message I have to mention that the TCM's programme we view in Greece is the one for Europe-Middle East and Africa.

It's good to read most of the messages of film lovers on these boards.

By the way I was surprised to find out that someone was anxious to have the May listings - that was in another thread.... We..... third world citizens are lucky to have only April in advance !!!

All the best, keep up the good work

Theogift

Hi Theo -

Welcome! I am presently living in Laos and I have no idea where my TCM comes from; certainly it is not the one they talk about on these boards. I get none of the frills (have never seen Mr. Osborne). We usually get four movies every day, repeated over and over until the following day when we get four different movies. I don't think this is what they get in the States.

It's Oscar month I guess - almost over, and I'm still waiting for "Bridges of Madison County."

However, thank God for small favors.

Ralph

Actually, regarding the John Wayne question about raising sons on an island, etc., this sounds very much like the movie, "Islands in the Stream" from the Seventies that actually starred George C. Scott. He was separated from his wife, played by Claire Bloom, and his sons come to stay with him for awhile. And WWII is about to break out. I loved this film when it came out. It had great performances, especially from David Hemmings, and a beautiful music score by Jerry Goldsmith. Check it out and see if it is the film you recall. It's worth seeing even if it isn't.