Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

***ASK MONGO***

Mongo,

Thanks for that information.

I had no idea that she was married before her starry days.

Naive as I am, I always thought she came untouched to the Fairbanks wedding bed!!! OK Mongo, you can stop laughing now......

Thanks again,

Larry

Naive as I am, I always thought she came untouched to the Fairbanks wedding bed!!!>>

Twice today so far you have caused me to spit take Diet Coke all over my desk. :)

Thanks for the laughs!

Hi Lynn,

Sory about the spitting up part but glad to be of laugh track service to you anytime.

BTW, I love Diet Coke too; I think I'm adicted to it. Actually, I need a fix right now. Bye, bye....

Larry

Mongo,

I saw WHAT EVERY WOMAN KNOWS recently, and became acquainted with Brian Aherne. Very handsome! I checked online, but didn't find much out about him, except for the fact he was married to Joan Fontaine for six years, and was born in England. Can you enlighten me more?

Also, what is the correct pronounciation of his last name? My husband says it's "Aay-hern" but I think the TCM announcer called him "Uh-hern." I will defer to you.

Alix

It was, I think, a 1930's movie, Possibly one of the Zeigfeld or Broadway musicals, or something in that style. The only part I remember is a comedy routine about the way different people sneeze (yes, SNEEZE !). I think it was an old vaudeville comedian. If you or anyone else remembers the name of this movie I would be greatfull if you would tell me. Thanks

Mongo,

Didn't Red Skelton used to do a skit about the way different people sneezed? I seem to remember this from repeats of some of his old TV shows and he could have been in an early movie doing this. Just trying to jog the megamind.

CharlieT

Message was edited by:

CharlieT

Alix, after scouting the internet, I pasted together some information regarding Brian Aherne. Although some of the info is repetitious, I trust you'll most likely be enlightened by the information.

I couldn't locate any info regarding any children in his second marriage.

As far as the pronounciation of his name, I always thought it was 'uh-hern'.

Brian Aherne was born William Brian de Lacy Aherne in King's Norton, Worcestershire, England. He came to Hollywood after beginning his career as child actor on the British stage, and later starring in silent films in Britain. He had his share of roles as the male lead in films such as "What Every Woman Knows", "The Song of Songs", and "The Fountain".

He also had strong supporting roles in films such as the 1953 version of "Titanic", and as ?Willy Robertson? in Alfred Hitchcock?s "I Confess". His radio work included a turn as ?Simon Templar? on "The Saint", and his television work included playing "Booth Templeton" in The Twilight Zone episode: "The Trouble with Templeton.?

He was married from 1939 to 1945 to screen star Joan Fontaine. The two became engaged only a month after meeting at a Hollywood party, and the six-year marriage was to be the first of two for him (second marriage lasted 40 years). He knew the honeymoon was over with Fontaine when, out of pique, she ripped up a collection of his best reviews.

Brian Aherne was the brother of Patrick Ahearne, a character player who showed up in such films as "Titanic" (1953), "The Court Jester" (1955) and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1956).

Active in amateur theatricals from age three, Briton Brian Aherne studied for his craft at the Italia Conti School, making his professional bow when he was eight.

Aherne would later claim that he remained an actor into adulthood (after a tentative stab at becoming an architect) mainly because he liked to sleep until ten in the morning. Successful on stage and screen in England, Aherne came to America in 1931 to appear in the first Broadway production of "The Barretts of Wimpole Street".

His first Hollywood film was 1933's "Song of Songs", in which he appeared with Marlene Dietrich.

Free-lancing throughout the 1930s, Aherne established himself as a gentlemanly Britisher who was willing to defend his honor (or someone else's) with his fists if needs be. Many of his roles were secondary, though he played the title role in 1937's "The Great Garrick" and was starred in a brace of Hal Roach productions in 1938 and 1939 (the actor wasn't crazy about the improvisational attitude at Roach, but he enjoyed the roles).

He was Oscar-nominated best support for his sensitive performance of the doomed Emperor Maximillian in "Juarez" (1939). In the late 1950s, he put film and TV work aside for a theatrical tour as Henry Higgins in "My Fair Lady".

Off-camera, Aherne was a licensed pilot and an aspiring writer: he penned a 1969 autobiography, "A Proper Job", as well as a biography of his close friend George Sanders, "A Dreadful Man".

Among his non-acting business ventures was an Arizona land deal he entered into with some fellow movie industry people. The large tract of desert land was developed as an airport for training civilian pilots, and during World War II, it was leased by the government for the Thunderbird and Falcon fields. The airfields were used to train American, British, and Chinese pilots.

I just love this quote from him, "Surely nobody but a mother could have loved Bette Davis at the height of her career."

The dapper actor, Brian Aherne died of heart failure in Venice, Florida at the age of 83 on February 10, 1986.

Mongo

Soeey

It was 'Broadway Melody of 1938' and it was the old vaudevill comedian Robert Wildhack. He also did a snoring routine in 'Broadway Melody of 1936'. Red Skelton was also in one of these movies. Which reminds me of 'Broadway Melody of 1940'. Fred Astair and Eleanor Powell at the end dancing to Begin the begine is probably the best five minutes of film in history.

Regards

Prior to your finding out the name of the movie, I did research the "Broadway Melody" films and Red Skelton did not appear in any of them.

He did appear in "Ziegfeld Follies" (1946) and did a routine called "Guzzler's Gin", which didn't sound like a 'sneezer'.

I do recall Mr. Skelton performing sneezing routines, where his head would bob forward causing his hair to cover his face.

Perhaps he did some sneezing in some of the Esther Williams musical water spectaculars of which he was in.

Dear Mongo,

I recently saw the end of a movie on TCM in the past few months. I really don't know what it was and I have no idea why I didn't look into it's name at the time but go figure now I'm curious to accually see the whole movie. I can only tell u near the ending so far as I can remember it... it was in Color the scene I remember the most was a huge palace room and stacks of dirty dishes set up to be washed by colorfully dressed Princesses one of which I believe was not a real Princess and it was a compition to see who could wash the most with as little broken as possible and I remember the main character (false Princess I think) doing very well until the last few plates and then they started breaking and we find out a little later one of the other Princesses sabotaged her by scoring the plates with a diamond ring I think. It's an older movie possibly 40's-50's but I'm not sure I've looked but like most places and books no one tells u the ending in plot summories and I have no Idea who the actors were I'm 27y/o and only reacently in the past 6 months or less started watching old movies on TCM.

I hope u can help and Thanx for ur time and response.

~Amber/NeoNikita

Hello Amber,

I will answer this question, if Mongo doesn't mind.

This is one of my favourite movies because Sophia Loren is the star in it and she is my favourite movie star.

Also, Dolores Del Rio is also featured in it and Merle Oberon and I visited her on the set in Naples when she was making it.

The movie is called "More Than A Miracle" in the United States, but has been called "Happily Ever After" also. It was made in the late 60's, 1967, I think.

It started out as "C'era una Volta" in Italy which means 'Once Upon a Time' in Italian and then became 'Happily Ever After' in England and the US, while it was in production.

When it was released it had all these names in various countries, but eventually became 'More Than A Miracle' in the US and Canada.

I was on the set one day and then toured around Southern Italy and Sicily for a week and returned to Naples to visit Dolores again, but in her hotel not on the set. So, I never saw Sophia at all then.

Omar Sharif is the prince in the movie and Dolores plays his mother......

Hope this helps!

And, I apologize to Mongo for stealing his thunder, but I love this film.....

Larry

Larry, by all means, be my guest. I must admit I wasn't sure of the name of the movie, and I'm glad that you 'stole my thunder'.

Oh, I didn't realize that Sophia Loren was your favorite actress.

OMG THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU I had a feeling it had to be Omar cause I just saw Lawrence of Arabia last night and I remembered his face and as for Sophia I'm not at all surprized after only remembering a fiery tempered gypsy looking women who yes reminded me of her I should have known. Now everything makes so much sense and especially why I couldn't find the movie since it's an Italian film origianlly it's not listed in any of my Movie books. Oh thank you again I so am renting this one ASAP.

Thanks Larry and Thanks Mongo for ur Forum.

I might have two more movie stumpers for u guys to figure out but I'll let u know in the future there info. For now I'm off to my sisters wedding.

Thanx again,

Amber/Neonikita

New Problem I'm shocked to find no one it seems on the planet has this movie for rent nor is selling a copy. Oh well any ideas boys? I guess it's going to be watching and waiting for TCM to show it again. Oh well back to reality. Thanks again guys!

~Amber/NeoNikita

Hello Mongo;

Since asking you about that possible connection between Dorothy Lamour, William Ross Howard, and John Ridgely, I have looked around at other sources and could find nothing. In fact the only place I have seen it is on the TCM Database.

Anyway, I sure do appreciate your search.

Regards

MikeDouglas, after researching Dorothy Lamour, her husband, and John Ridgely I also found no connection of a possible relationship. It was most likely just a coincidence that Lamour gave her son the middle name of Ridgely.

Help needed please!!!!

As a child I remeber watching an animated movie ( think it was French, I remember it was subtitled), about 1h long. It was a story about a king in love with a shepherdess, who insists on marrying her even though she was in love with another shepherd. There was also a bird, LOL...

Help......anyone?