Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

***ASK MONGO***

You can safely ignore the previous message. I have just found out the name of the movie:

"La Bergere et le ramoneur".

I eagerly recommend this movie to any fans of animation, it is SUPERB.

In the States, it was released under the name "The Curious Adventures of Mr Wonderbird".

Several years ago, I saw just a portion of a movie on TCM. It was B&W and from about 1940. The story line seemed to be about a man who was plotting his wife's death and he was thinking of different ways she could die. From what I could gather, it was all in his head (although to viewers it looked like he was really carrying out his ideas). One scene involved a record player and I believe one scene was at a symphony. I was busy that day and didn't write it down, but I keep thinking of it often and hope to catch it again on TCM. Do you recall the movie, i.e., Title?

Filmlover, you beat me to the punch, and good for you.

The movie is indeed "Unfaithfully Yours" with Rex Harrison and Linda Darnell.

However since the movie is a 20th Century-Fox production, I'm wondering if BestEra watched it on the Fox Movie Channel.

Yes, the synopsis for UNFAITHFULLY YOURS sounds like the movie I'm thinking of, for sure. Thanks, filmlover.

Mongo, I bet you are correct. I probably did catch it on FOX rather than TCM. I occasionally watch FOX. I'll check FOX's line up. Knowing them, it will be playing this month -- most likely several times!

Filmlover, or anybody:

Yep, the 1948 version of "UNFAITHFULLY YOURS" is on FMC on April 21. I see that FMC is also showing the 1984 version with Dudley Moore this month. Although I seldom like re-makes, sometimes it is interesting to compare. Is the re-make worth watching?

I watched part of the remake and it had none of the charm of the original.

P.S. -- Mongo, hope I didn't intrude in answering the question about the title of the film before you did. After all, the name of the thread is not "Ask Filmlover".

Normandie, I'm glad you found out the name of the movie title you requested. To be honest with you, I doubt if I could have came up with the title.

I will however, try to get to see the movie.

Sorry, this is late.

TonyH, the actor's appeared together for the first time in back-to-bak films "Words and Music" and "Salute", both in 1929.

They went on to make a total of 22 films together, including "Fort Apache", "3 Godfathers", "The Quiet Man", "Hondo", "The Searchers", "Rio Bravo", etc.

I have a TV question Mongo I hope it is welcome. I am going to assume that on I Love Lucy that when Lucy and Ricky moved to the country it was toward the end of the run of the original show. My question is how much longer after the move to the country did I Love Lucy stay on the air? Thank You in advance. I think of so many questions to ask you and then I forget them when it is my turn at the computer. I'm going to try to write them down. Can you believe it the questions I've forgotten are movie questions....gwtwbooklover

gwtwbooklover, the "I Love Lucy" Connecticut episodes began with "Lucy Wants to Move to the Country" aired 2/4/57 and ended with "The Ricardos Dedicate a Statue" aired 5/6/57, which ended the series.

After that the fabulous foursome were featured in hour long episodes at least once a month.

gwtwbooklover, your always welcome to ask a question on this thread, whether related to movies or TV.

Thank you very much for the info and kind words. I have a few more questions. How long did the hour long shows with the 2 original couples air. I remember while still in the country the Ricardos had another couple they ran around with for some reason I want to say it was a band leader and his wife. Harry James and Betty Grable perhaps??-I am probably way off base. On TVLand they have started at 11:30amCST the whole I Love Lucy episodes again from the beginning. Did I Love Lucy suffer in the ratings?? is this the reason they started showing it once a month for an hour? Or did something else happen?

I just thought of a movie ? The song about the sobbing women from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers popped into my head while I tried to sleep. My friend who was watching with me said I never could find that story in the bible. I'm assuning Adam got the story wrong about the"Sobbing" women how the story went and how he interpreted it are 2 different things. I also assume Adam was refering to his wife's book that he meant the bible but perhaps it wasn't? Anyway what is the story Adam is telling his brothers that charges them up to get going to get wives? Where would I find it in the bible?-to read it. I am just wondering I hope this ? doesn't offend anyone for that is not my intentions. Thank you

Actually, Adam said it was in a history book where you would find it, and that's true. It took place in the 8th Century BC, approximately, when Roman youths abducted a group of Sabine women. (Sabine = sobbin'). You can find the history online and also see artwork illustrating it.

The Bible reference that is causing you and your friend confusion is probably another part of the film in which Adam discusses that their mother named them after people in the Bible (Adam, Benjamin, Caleb, Daniel, Ephraim, and Gideon)(the sixth brother, Frank, she couldn't find a name beginning with the letter F in the Bible, so he was named Frankincense because he smelled so sweet).

gwtwbooklover, there were 13 episodes of the "Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour" from 1957 thru 1960.

On "I Love Lucy" their friends in Connecticut (other than Ethel and Fred) were Betty and Ralph Ramsey, played by Mary Jane Croft and Frank Nelson.

Betty Grable and Harry James would appear later in one of the hour long episodes.

The ratings for "I Love Lucy" were outstanding, always in the #1 spot. They decided to call it quits since they felt that they covered all the storylines they could, without getting boring.

The hour show was also successful, and ended when Ball and Arnaz decided to divorce.

Mongo, it seems I haven't bothered you for awhile - it's about my turn. :-) Can you find out some info about Sydney Greenstreet for me, please. What I want to know is if he was a tea plantation owner in Ceylon, how on earth did Hollywood find him? Thanks.

Scarlett, Sydney Greenstreet's foray into a tea plantation happened in his youth and was very brief.

Born December 27, 1879, in Sandwich, England, Greenstreet's initial ambition was to make his fortune as a tea planter, and toward that aim he moved to Sri Lanka at the age of 18. A drought left him penniless, however, and he soon returned to England, where he worked a variety of odd jobs, including manager of a brewery, while studying acting in the evenings.

He began acting late in films, at age 61 for Warner Bros. In 1941 he made "The Maltese Falcon" and was nominated for an Oscar in a supporting role. He left us with about 25 films to revel in before leaving the screen in 1949.

He married in 1918 and had 1 son. The grand character actor died on January 18, 1954 at age 75.