Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

***ASK MONGO***

Anne, I checked the CBS schedule and I don't see where any excerpts of the Sunday Morning Show will be repeated.

If I happen to notice a rerun of the Dolores Hart piece in the future, I will be sure to post it here.

Norma Talmadge died in Las Vegas in the mid -1950s. She had moved there and lived in a house across from Southern Nevada Hospital, now the Medical Center best known for where Roy Horn was taken after being attacked by the white lion, Montecore, a few years back.

Horn was attacked by one of his and Siegfried's tigers.

Horn was attacked by one of his and Siegfried's tigers.>>

Cinesage,

Thanks for catching my gaffe. Montecore is, indeed, a white tiger.

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

I was so happy to see Dolores Hart featured on the CBS Sunday Morning show this week, and mongo, I also noticed in the audience at the Hollywood dinner: Jamie Lee Curtis, Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss and Earl Holliman. Reverend Mother is the Prioress of the Abbey and was granted a special dispensation (she is cloistered) to visit Hollywood again after 43 years in the monastery to raise awareness for peripheral idiopathic neuropathy disorder, a neurological disorder that afflicts many Americans, including herself. I liked the part of her speech where she said "and based on the price of the dinner, I am glad to see you are all doing well!" Don Robinson is the man who was engaged to Dolores, he visits her several times a year. I believe she is in a contemplative order and has devoted her postHollywood life to prayer. I agree, mongo, she was/is a delight and, still beautiful!

-Susan

I saw Mother Dolores a few years ago on "Christopher Closeup," which visited her at her complex in Connecticut. At that time, the order she was supervising was shown as an outreach kind of organization. There was a theater on the campus of the place. Patricia Neal was also on the program, as a friend of Mother Dolores, and as a participant in the little theater productions staged there. I didn't catch all the details -- it looks like a very nice place -- retreats are held there as well.

Mother Dolores said that she was not immediately accepted into the order. She was instructed to wait at least a year, because the Mother Superior at that time felt she was too young. She did wait, I think she said more than a year, and her resolve apparently strengthened; she joined the order and has been with it for most of her adult life. She talked freely about her Hollywood experiences, and about how unhappy a person she thought Elvis was. She struck me as a very intelligent, realistic and serene person. Looks like her choice was a good one.

Mongo,

Please read the question in the thread just above this one regarding a different ending for 'An Affair to Remember' one of my favorite chick flicks.

I'm interested if there really is a different ending.

Anne

Anne, after some research I found no mention of any other ending in the movie "An Affair to Remember", other than the one we have become accustomed to.

Also, on the DVD of "An Affair to Remember", the extras does not include any info regarding such an ending with Cary Grant carrying Deborah up the stairs at the villa.

Mongo,

Perhaps the Beatty/Benning "Love Affair" Remake ends that way?

BTW, I saw the first version of the story ("Love Affair"-1939) a couple of years ago and I don't remember if it ended just like the 1957 Grant-Kerr film or otherwise.

> BTW, I saw the first version of the story ("Love

> Affair"-1939) a couple of years ago and I don't

> remember if it ended just like the 1957 Grant-Kerr

> film or otherwise.

Thanks for your thoughts re: An Affair to Remember. I also have the DVD, which does not include the last couple of minutes. Nor have I seen it on TV for some years. I've tried to research this previously, but no one but a friend of mine (and potentially a bunch of other old movie lovers who lived in the New York-PA area from the early to mid 1980's and liked to stay up for the late-late movie seem to have seen it. I'm just looking for some of those who might have seen it or who know someone in the film preservation business. I am very sure that I'm not confusing the Grant-Kerr version with the useless re- re-make.

Mongo:

Starting with Bette Davis last month, and enjoying all of the 30' and 40's movies they've been showing lately, I've really noticed Ian Hunter. Usually playing the boyfriend who is given up for the hero, or the friend of the hero (like Dr. Jeckyll), I think he was pretty darn good looking and wonder why he didn't get more leading man roles. He seems to be a good actor, relaxed, and energetic, but . . . Anyhow, I looked him up on imdb and all they do is give birth, death, and list of his movies. Can you tell me any more?

Thanks, :x

Anne

Anne,

It's too bad that the tall, blue-eyed British actor Ian Hunter is all but forgotten today.

A solid, good-looking leading man with an upper-class British accent, he moved to England while in his teens and joined the army in 1917, serving in France.

He debuted onstage in 1919, then onscreen in 1924; for the next decade he alternated between plays and films, usually as a leading man, then moved to Hollywood in 1934 and appeared in many American films.

He was often cast as an upright, conscientious husband, lover, or friend, co-starring opposite Bette Davis, Kay Francis, Myrna Loy, Olivia de Havilland, Barbara Stanwyck, Anita Louise, Jeanette MacDonald, Hedy Lamarr, etc.

He returned to England for war service in 1942. After the war he continued to perform in British plays and films for the next two decades.

I particularly enjoyed his performance in "Strange Cargo" with Gable and Crawford, as a spiritual Christ-like figure, and in "The Adventures of Robin Hood" as King Richard the Lion Heart. He is best remembered as little Shirley Temple's father in "The Little Princess".

Although the talented actor didn't often get the plum roles or the leading lady, he managed to enjoy a successful career in close to 100 films.

A distinguished gent, he was happily married with 2 sons.

Mr. Hunter passed away in 1975 at age 75.

He does not have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Ian Hunter was great in "Strange Cargo ", "The Adventures of Robin Hood", and "The Long Voyage Home ".

Thanks Momgo:

Unfortunately, except for the few times he's in the lead, he normally isn't in the 'explanation paragraph' in the movie guide, so until he appears on screen its hard to know what movies hes in, but I copied the list from imdb so I can keep a look-out for them.

Thanks again,

:)

Anne

Hello Mongo,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you helping out others. Your knowledge on cinema is fascinating.

I was wondering if you have any information pertaining Ramon Novarro. He is one of my idols when it comes to silent movies. I have also seen his talkies and he acts swell in them considering that English isnt his first language.

His death is also a tragic one.

Any help/information would do. Thank you once more.

Kayla, I discovered this info regarding Ramon Novarro on the internet. I believe you will find it interesting.

Novarro was born Ramon Samaniego in Durango, Mexico on February 6, 1899. In 1916 he moved to Los Angeles, where he took jobs as a model and singing waiter. In 1917 he broke into films as an extra; he further developed his acting skills with a stint in vaudeville.

Rex Ingram, who had directed Valentino in "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" (1921), discovered Novarro and worked hard to make him a screen idol. In 1922 studio publicity touted Novarro as the new Valentino, but he was always overshadowed by the original.

Ingram directed Novarro in roles as various as that of the villainous Rupert of Hentzau in "The Prisoner of Zenda" (1922) and the tragic lover of "Trifling Women" (1922), and co-starred him in three romantic pictures with his wife, Alice Terry.

Novarro reached the pinnacle of his career with the title role in the monumental production of "Ben-Hur" (1926), although he gave a better performance the following year in Ernst Lubitsch's 'The Student Prince' in "Old Heidelberg" (1927). He also directed the Spanish and French versions of "Call of the Flesh" (1930) in which he starred (La Sevillana and Le Chanteur de Seville, respectively).

Novarro was less pretentious than Valentino was, and there was a natural style to his acting that distinguished him from other young actors. Contemporary critics praised the ease and charm of his performances.

Although his boyish looks did not adversely affect the critical estimation of his talent during his heyday as a star, retrospectively some film historians find him almost too beautiful to be taken seriously, and he has consequently been perceived as a decidedly effeminate performer. Perhaps that is why he has never quite attained the renown of Valentino or the other reigning romantic lead of the era, John Gilbert.

Novarro continued playing romantic leads into the early 1930s. Age began to take its toll, however, despite Novarro's desperate attempt to look youthful in his early talkies. He later became a parody of his earlier self in such films as "The Sheik Steps Out" (1937). Except for occasional appearances in character parts, his career ended in the 1930s.

Novarro's homosexuality was a fairly open secret in Hollywood. Combined with his androgynous beauty, it not only challenged prevailing norms of masculinity in the 1920s and 1930s, but it has also profoundly affected the critical estimation of his talent.

Some critics have argued that his sexuality influenced his acting style, as they search for feminine qualities in his acting as evidence of his homosexuality. Others have even (somewhat anachronistically) attributed his apparent propensity for too much make-up (a common effect of the rather primitive lighting on stage make-up in early films) and for semi-nude posing to his homosexuality.

On October 30, 1968, Novarro was found dead in his Hollywood Hills home, having been beaten to death by one of two hustlers he picked up. False rumors still linger that Novarro's killers choked him with a lead **** replicating the **** of Valentino, supposedly a gift from his former lover. The actor was 69 years old.

Joel Harrison assessed the evidence for these rumors in his book Bloody Wednesday, and in his more recent biography of the star Andr? Soares presents further evidence for their speciousness (including interviews with principals at the subsequent murder trial).

From what I understand, both felons served prison time and eventually went free.

The actor has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Howdy Mongo- I have a ? I was surprised to learn that Orson Wells and Rita Hayworth had a child together I thought she had only 1 daughter the princess. What is her name again and is she still alive and what if she is alive is she doing for a living...and anything else you can uncover about her would be greatly appreciated.

Another ? it is about Shirley McClaine's daughter sorry for the misspelling. I learned that she was in one of the Back to the Future movies in a small speaking role. How far did she delve into acting, did she ever appear in a movie with her mother? I also can't recall her name either. Is she the only child Shirley had? Has she been in any of Warren's movies? Thanks so much for all you do -your the tops!

Shirley MacLaine's daughter is named Sachi [sachiko] Parker. You can see a picture of her on IMDb [she's quite striking], along with her filmography [which does include a small part in "Back to the Future"].

I believe it is Shirley's only child.

GWTW booklover, it's good to have you back on the boards.

Orson Welles and Rita Hayworth were the parents of Rebecca (born 1944) (died October 17, 2004). She was survived by her husband Guy, her son Marc and 3 stepchildren as well as her 8 grandchildren and her 3 half-siblings Princess Yasmin, Christopher and Beatrice.

It was Hayworth's daughter Yasmin who stuck by her mother when she was suffering from Alzheimers Disease.

The annual Rita Hayworth charity gala, managed by daughter Princess Yasmin Khan, raised $1.8 million in 1999 alone for the Alzheimer's Assn.

I believe it was Welles daughter Beatrice who inherited the bulk of his estate.

As far as Shirley MacLaine goes, she has just one child, a daughter Sachi. She did not persue a film career. She and her mother are good pals.

Mongo:

I know you're probably watching Sunset Blvd. right now, but can you tell me if holden had his hair permed for Golden Boy? i don't recall him having such hair in any other part he played.

Thanks

Ane

Anne,

21 year old newcomer William Holden, handsome and hunky, started out with perfectly tousled curly hair in the movie "Golden Boy".

As his career progressed into more mature roles his hair got shorter and straightened out.

And yes, I was waching "Sunset Blvd." one of my favorite motion pictures.

21 year old newcomer William Holden, handsome and hunky, started out with perfectly tousled curly hair in the movie "Golden Boy".>>

All I can say after watching it this evening, is hubba hubba. What a beautiful man. Still had his looks in Sunset Blvd once you get past the opening scenes where his hair is too short. He looks great in the tux with tails.

Aged gracefully and died too young and too notoriously.

Hey Mongo,

Do you have any info. on Judy King (b. 1907) and Mona Ray (b. 1909)? Imdb says they are still alive. Of course, imdb's information isn't always fullproof, but if they are, they'd be two of the oldest sisters left that were in film (they have almost a decade on Olivia and Joan). And, I realize that their brief careers in no way parallel Olivia and Joan's, but I'm still curious. I read up on Mona Ray after watching "Lil' Abner" (1940) because I thoroughly enjoyed that version, but there is scarcely anything out there about her or her sister. I do know that they were extremely short. If they are still alive, they are chasing down the mark set by Sadie and Bessie Delaney.

Gerb, there's not much info out there regarding the diminutive Canadian-born sisters Judy King and Mona Ray.

Comedienne Judy King was reportedly discovered on the vaudeville stage by star comic Harold Lloyd, who awarded her a bit in "Girl Shy" (1924). She was also one of the seven girls refusing Buster Keaton's proposals of marriage in "Seven Chances" (1925); was Buffalo Bill Jr.'s girl in "The Bonanza Buckaroo"; and played a French girl dallying with a couple of American army recruits in "The Gay Retreat" (1927). Her career declined after the advent of sound.

There is less written about her sister, stage and screen comedienne Mona Ray, most likely since she had a limited film career. Her portrayal as Mammy Yokum in "L'il Abner" was indeed a hoot.

The sources I researched have both ladies still living, which would bring their ages to 97 and 99 years old. Could be.