Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

***ASK MONGO***

My father's mother attended Central High School in Kansas City, and claimed to have been in the same class as William Powell. She somehow got us a guided tour of Western Costume, which was absolutely incredible. I really wish I remembered more of that place, I just remember the lady who showed us around throwing out names like Susan Hayward, Bette Davis, Judy Garland.....I think I was in a fog! That was how we got the invitation to have lunch at the commissary. It was NOT a fancy place, just a regular cafeteria/dining room. All I could think about was that I was in the SAME ROOM as Tony Curtis. He was the Heartthrob of ALL 12 year old girls....But it was Mr. MacMurray who was the sweetest, friendliest person we met that day. He leaned over (WAY over) and asked my name, how old I was, etc....Really nice man.

Thanks for listening, hope it wasn't a big yawn....It's a very special memory for me.

OK, all you movie buffs, I have a question. Does anyone know the name of the pretty actress who is sitting next to Judy Garland when she sings the Trolley Song in "Meet Me in St. Louis"?. She's wearing a blue/violet dress and hat, dark hair, gorgeous smile. She spots John Truett before Judy does, and gives him a great wink, then gets up so he can sit down. She was in almost every musical number, always looked like she was having a great time. Any or all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Nancy, knitter45

Nancy, the cutie on the trolley with Judy Garland in "Meet Me in St. Louis" is actress Helen Gilbert.

She only made a handful of pictures. You may be able to spot her in "Andy Hardy Gets Spring Fever", usually shown on TCM.

Also made a few TV appearances. Left the screen in 1957.

She passed away in 1995 at age 80.

Mongo,

If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance...........

Vallo replied the same on a different thread (one I looked at before finding you and all your genies,) but I looked at the trailer for "Andy Hardy gets Spring Fever", and it isn't the same actress. this girl is in the picture on TCM'S web site, the one with Judy singing the Trolley song. She' s to the right of Judy.

Nancy, sorry I didn't notice the other thread with your question.

I figured it would be actress Helen Gilbert since she is the only extra listed in the credits of "Meet Me in St. Louis" as the 'girl on the trolley', and

considering the extra on the trolley with the most to do with a wink, and giving up her seat, would get a credit.

We'll have to find out who the girl on the right of Judy Garland is. Did she have much to do in her scene, other than just sit there?

She was a great "reactor", listened to Judy's song with her whole face and body. She was in the "Skip to My Lou" number and the Christmas Waltz number

It seems like I remember her in another Garland musical, but of course I can't remember which one. Thanks for the research!

Nancy

Hey Mongo,

I got three stumpers for you this time.

1st one is from my Mom-in-law:

A movie from the 1930-50's (not too sure on the year), B&W (most likely)

What she remembered most was a woman, a great hunter/guide & a Professor/scientist guy w/ a vile of wild cat hormones/extract/pee which he's collected over many years, plus possible other people with them, set in Africa.

The best scene she remembers is they all end up in a tribal village and there's a dispute about a baby, the chief thinks it's not his child and so there going to put the baby in a corral of cattle and see if they trample it to death or not. The Woman hears about it and takes the Professors vile of cat hormones/pee and puts all over the baby and when they put it in the corral the cattle stay far away from that baby and so the baby lives and chief excepts it and thats about all my Mom-lin-law remembers. Can you tell us the name of this movie???

2nd Movie one I've been having no luck finding...

Mostly a B-movie from the 1960's-80's but most likely the 70's.

It's a Sci-fi flick about UFO's Mostly remember a bunch of teens or young adults standing on a hill or cliff and a UFO is heading there way... a girl faints, a guy gets fryed by what I think is the Microwave radiation the UFO emites to fly and she gets very burned on half her body and I remember some others bringing her back to a house and laying her on a couch. Pretty much have no clue if this is part of the same movie but I do remember some kind of light rod hovering and glowing vertically above a rock just before i think the UFo comes over them but I could be mixing up movies. Can you name this Movie???

3rd stumper... All i rememeber is this Scene:

Um mostly I rememeber it being color but not sure it's a very vague scene that has a guy being thrown into a pit of bones It might be roman times but could be kinda dark ages time period really can't recall. the Guy in the pit seemed to be wearing very little clothing possibly tattered or a toga. Mostly I remember was he's in a huge pit of bones and there are vultures flying over head, possibly huge vultures, and they are either swoopping down at him or something and he's trying to escape the pit.

I know that's very vague but it's been so long since I've seen it and It's been bugging me for years to see it again. Pit-o-bones/guy/vultures. No idea on color or year I saw it when i was a kid in the 80's so who knows what movie it could be from. Do you have any clue as to what this movie could be???

I really hope you or anyone rememebers these movies cause I have no clue and thanx again guys for the help a few months back on the "More than a Miracle" movie I really appreciated it. If you can't help me we must have dreamed we saw these ones.

Thanx for any help you can give,

~Amber in Colorado

Hey Mongo I'm having trouble with a word that's usually said to describe food. It's usually said in Westerns and last night as I threw in 7 Brides For Seven Brothers in the VCR it came up again. I don't know if I'm spelling it right, but I looked in the dictionary to find out the origin of the word ( slang) and couldn't seem to find it. The word is "Vittles" (SP?). Now I ask you since you are the question and answer man where did the word come from...who said it first and how do you spell it? This one really bothers me and I would appreciate if you give me any kind of reply. Thanks Mongo!

Also the 'vittles' stemmed from rural wildlife consisting mostly of possum, squrrel, rabbit, possum, birds, frogs, turtles, snakes, etc.

Whenever I see the term vittles I think of Granny from "The Beverly Hillbillies", who was always cookin' up a mess of 'em.

Amber, you do indeed have a trio of stumpers, alhough you did describe a few key scenes.

These sound like they are 'B' films and will need some research. Of course any of our knowledgeable boardmembers are invited to join in.

I am looking for the name of a movie from which a scene was shown in the promo for TCM IMPORTS.

There are three priests dressed in black, gray and white standing on a train track. There are two behind, one in front with his hand held up, trying to stop a train. It looks like a mountain train track from what I see of the background.

Mongo please answer a ? for me if you can-what is TCM showing or what is happening or use to happen- the between movies fillers has two iron rods(if you will) and they get inflamed and seemingly meet and then the roll of film is showed well rolling. Now this is not the first time I've seen this and I am probably the last person on earth to know this but I'm asking you is this how old projectors started. Is this the signifigance of them showing this? What exactly happened-wouldn't the hot sticks burn the film? I mean the sound sounds like a sizzle and then the rods change color and like I said the film starts rolling. Just what are they showing...thanks

GWTW,

I'm not Mongo and I have not seen the filler but it sure sounds like a carbon arc projector.

Jon Parker and Mongo can probably best describe it but back in the day it was how the lamps in projectors were lit. A projectionist had to be very careful because the film they were usually running was nitrate and flammable.