Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

***ASK MONGO***

Thanks Izcutter1

I loved that film, I never cared for De"Niros films with the exception of Deer Hunter and Analyze movies and Meet the Parent films along Bang The Drum Slowly. I agree that Mr Gardenia was deserving of a nomination. Thanks for the lyrics.

Christine

> "Asta" was the dog that starred in The Thin

> Man series and Topper. He was also an

> important character in one of my favorite comedies,

> The Awful Truth.

I believe that I read some years ago in one of Mongo & Coffeedan's Trivia Threads that Asta's real "birth" name was Skippy. He was also featured magnificently in one of my all-time favorite movies: the wonderfully wacky "Bringing Up Baby".

Ah, his stage name... I wonder how confusing this is for the pooches. They supposedly changed "Terry"'s name to "Toto". Perhaps they still called him Terry to his snout, but just kept the billing "Toto"? I wonder if all the various Lassie's were called by their real name...

Thanks Mssrs. Feaito and Mongo!

Speaking of movie dogs, there's an adorable little Skye terrier (I think; not very knowledgeable on dog breeds) named Waldo who appeared in

Shall We Dance (during the "Walking the Dog" sequence, and "I've Got Beginner's Luck")

The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (he brings about a meet-cute of Vernon and Irene, and is named "Zowie")

The Sky's the Limit ("Waldo, you're a traitor.")

and

My Favorite Spy (not the Bob Hope version, but the Kay Kyser version from 1942)

For months I've been looking for three specific movies, all of which star Jim and Marion Jordan in their roles as Fibber McGee and Molly. Two of the three movies also feature Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy. The titles are "Heavenly Day", "Look Who's Laughing", and "Here We Go Again". I have done research on all three movies, and came up with nothing, so I'm guessing that I'm looking in the wrong places. I know that the TCM store doesn't have them, I looked there already. I am a huge fan of the Fibber McGee and Molly radio show, and I would really like to add these movies into that collection, so any feedback would definitely be useful.

Dave

"Asta" was the dog that starred in The Thin Man series and Topper. He was also an important character in one of my favorite comedies, The Awful Truth.

FYI: Thought you might like to know that "Asta" (a wire-haired fox terrier), has his own website and a couple of webpages! Here's the links to two of the more amusing ones--love the "candid" shots of Asta--maybe they were taken for Confidential magazine!

http://www.iloveasta.com/

http://freespace.virgin.net/donna.moore/Asta.htm

Mongo, I always marveled at the different varietys of movies that came out of the RKO Radio Pictures Studios. Most of the latter movies seemed to be the "B" pictures ( Co-Features). I know that Howard Hughes took control of the studio and made some pretty good movies at the start. As he progressively became an odd-ball it seem to have an effect on pictures produced by the studio. Was this the major contributing factor of the studio's collapse or were there a combination of things that I never read about? Thanks Mongo!

Bartlett

Dear Mongol! It's me bugging you with a couple more questions. What was the reason behind Harpo never talking? I always wonder what he sounded like if he spoke I have heard him whistle.

also is there any books about him or chico?

Again Thanks to You And Jack for answering my questions

As Always Thanks

Christine

I just looked him up on imdB but all they say is he is married and has three daughters. I wasn't going to bother you with this but I love August Shellenberg and would like to know more about him. It says he's Canadian, but that's all. Is he of Indian descent, or eskimo, or what? He always plays indians. I first became interested in him from the Free Willy movies, of which I have all three taped, and watch regularly. I'm not necessarily big on fish or whales, but for some reason, I love those three movies. He has played Geronimo, Sitting Bull, and numerous other American Indians. Do you have any info on him?

Thanks in advance,

Anne

According to Brenda Scott Royce's "Donna Reed, A Bio-Bibliography", "Yellow Headed Summer" was released in 1973 as "Welcome to Arrow Beach" and again in 1976 as "Tender Flesh", less 14 minutes.

Cast: Laurence Harvey, Joanna Pettet, Stuart Whitman, John Ireland, and Gloria Leroy

(I've been doing a LOT of reading, and a bit of posting, on Donna lately!)

mongo,

Thanks for the Harpo Marx link. Now, I have an answer to something I have wondered about for a long time.

Isn't the internet great...hear Harpo Marx speak.

I had a problem opening the audio links from the Harpo Marx web site. In case others have the same problem, here is what I did...

Put the Harpo Marx web site address in Internet Explorer address bar and open the Marx web site in a new window. Right click the web site sound links and open the links in a new window. Unless you want to hear Harpo play the harp AND hear his voice, you will have to close the harp playing window. I don't know if I am the only one having this problem...I am running my internet connection through a router.

I think Harpo's voice sounds pretty much like I would expect him to sound...something like his brother, Groucho...don't you think? Again, thanks for the link.

Rusty