Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

***ASK MONGO***

Thanks for trying Mongo! I hoped that you'd have some arcane sources that would tell me more about the guy, who's apparently a forgotten man!

Say, does it seem as though you're busier now on the boards than you were before ending your birthday tribute thread? It's fun seeing your posts all over now.

Mongo, I am on a Burt Lancaster kick on my VCR lately. I've watched 1950's "The Flame & the Arrow" and am now watching 1952's "The Crimson Pirate". In both movies Nick Cravet co-starred. In "The Crimson Pirate" they made Cravet a mute character because Mr. Cravet talked with a heavy Eastern Coast accent. My question is I know Lancaster was an acrobat as well as Cravett. Were they friends in real life and did they ever work together in a circus or acrobat act before both went into the movies to give us great entertainment? As usual thank you in advance for your reply Mongo!

Bartlett

Bartlett, here is some interesting info I found on the internet, that will answer your question:

Diminutive New York native Nick Cravat spent his first two decades in show business as a circus and carnival acrobat. From the mid-'30s to the early '40s, he was the smaller half of the Lang and Cravat trapeze act; "Lang" was his childhood pal Burt Lancaster. While it is commonly assumed that Cravat made his first screen appearances in tandem with Lancaster, his film debut was in fact "My Friend Irma"(1949), which starred Diana Lynn, Marie Wilson, and Martin and Lewis. He did, of course, show up quite often in Lancaster's starring features, beginning with "The Flame and the Arrow" (1950) and ending with "The Island of Dr. Moreau" (1977). In the delightful "The Crimson Pirate" (1952), Cravat was afforded co-star billing with Lancaster, above leading lady Eva Bartok. Because he so often played a mute, many filmgoers believed that Cravat was genuinely non-verbal; actually, he possessed so thick and pronounced an East Coast accent that he was averse to mouthing dialogue. Outside of his work with Lancaster, Cravat is best remembered for one of his uncredited appearances: as the "thing on the wing" in the 1963 Twilight Zone installment "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet." ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Moviecollector, I'm still researching your questions, and will get back to you this week.

Jack, that is a swell picture of Madge Evans. Moviecollector is sure to appreciate it. Thanks.

Perhaps you can explain to me how you add copy to a previous post as you did with the words (from the French website...)? I would appreciate it.

Moviecollector, I see no reason to believe that the two films in your question which stars Virginia Weidler doesn't exist. I couldn't find them on the Public Domain list either. Keep your eyeballs peeled since TCM shows Weidler flicks on occasion.

Boardmember Jack Burley posted a great photo of Madge Evans in her childhood.

Still researching Kittens Reichert.

Mongo:

I have just recently found your "In the Spotlight" thread which I find fascinating. Up until the end of December, the photos you posted show on my screen as a window with a link that reads "Photobucket - video and image hosting".

I connected to this site, registered, and tried everything I could think of to see the photos you posted with no luck. Is it my computer or am I not going at it the right way?

--Gus

yes that is a great tinted shot of madge. thanks.

wish a web site existed with lots of photos of her from 1916-1919.

kind of figured the two weidler's were lost.might exist overseas somewhere i hope.

another film i can not locate is joann marlowe-little iodine from 1946. heard it exists. any idea why its not been released or shown?

"Perhaps you can explain to me how you add copy to a previous post as you did with the words (from the French website...)? I would appreciate it.

Mr. Mongo, I'm so sorry it took me so long to respond. I somehow missed your query to me. Regarding typing in text in the same post as a photo: First of all, keep in mind that when I put a parenthesis, it will stand for the greater than < and lesser than > signs. Here goes: I just type in the text as usual (as I am right now) and follow the text with (br)(br). (br) is code for a return; so (br)(br) is the same as a double space, Then I type in the photo link -- surely in the same manner that you already do. Hope this helps; I'm afraid I'm not very articulate in these computer matters...

CCerini said, "I have just recently found your 'In the Spotlight' thread which I find fascinating. Up until the end of December, the photos you posted show on my screen as a window with a link that reads 'Photobucket - video and image hosting'."

Isn't it a great thread?! I love it too. Mr. Mongo loads photos onto his Photobucket page, so that they can be posted onto the thread. I assume the photobucket only allows so many shots, and he replaces the old shots for the newer posts. When the older shot is replaced, you'll get the message that we now see.

Gus and Jack, actually it was my fault that the pictures disappeared from "In the Spotlight". I erroneously deleted the pictures from my photbucket album, not realizing that by doing that would eventually erase them from the TCM thread.

All the beautiful pictures posted on the "Gallery of Stars" and "Gallery of Characters" threads are still there from months ago, since they weren't deleted from the photobucket albums. I hope to rectify the error in time and replace the pictures.

Jack, thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Hi Mongo. Did you and your fellow detectives ever track down the pretty girl in "Meet Me In St.Louis"? I know you are managing quite a few different threads ( I just found the "characters" and "spotlight" threads, they are really great.) Just thought maybe you had run across some info in your sleuthing endeavors.

Could you re-post the picture of Madge Evans and did she work in her later years? There is a sweet older lady named Madge that did some really funny, befuddled roles in the 60-s & 70-s, wondered if it was the same person?

Thanks Mongo. When do you ever get to watch movies, with all the work you do on these boards?

Knitter, unfortunately we are still unable to pinpoint the identity of the starlet in "Meet Me in St. Louis". However, we ain't giving up...yet.

The photo of child actress Madge Evans is still posted below. I'm posting an adult shot of the star just above this post. Miss Evans last appeared on a TV show in 1956. She died in 1981 at age 71.

The other Madge you mentioned was character actress Madge Blake.

Thanks, Mongo. What a knockout! And like I said before, when do you ever get to actually watch movies? All your time seems to be spent researching and answering our questions. But don't stop!, it's too much fun reading your answers.

Thanks, Knitter. Since I left the Happy Birthday thread, I have more time to sample and enjoy other threads plus consentrate on my In the Spotlight and Ask Mongo contributions. At a more leisure pace.