Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

***ASK MONGO***

Howdy! mongo long time no see! I've missed you guys. I have a ? probably a silly one but one I've wondered about for awhile. Let me state that I have never seen The Godfather movies but I have seen parts of it and parodies of the scenes in the movie. That being said i was wondering about the scene involving the daughter's wedding where apparently if you ask for it it shall be done. Is this based on fact? Is this a tradition carried out when the higher mob bosses married off their children? Does the book explain why the people were granted favors? Thank You. I was also wondering about Cary Grant's daughter with Dyan Cannon what was her name and do you know anything about her? I mean how she is doing now. Was she born in the 1960s? Thanks again.

Howdy, GWTWbooklover. Lovely Jennifer Grant was born February 26, 1966 in Burbank, California and is the only daughter of the famous actors, Cary Grant and Dyan Cannon.

Her parents divorced when she was two years old, but she had a close relationship with her father for the rest of his life. Partly because her famous dad did not want her to become an actress, she tried other things for several years.

After graduating from Stanford University in 1987 with a degree in history and political science, she worked for a law firm, but followed that with a job as a chef.

In 1993, seven years after Cary Grant's death, she got her first acting role in the hit Aaron Spelling television teen drama Beverly Hills, 90210, in the recurring role of Celeste Lundy. She would go on to guest star in a variety of shows, and later appeared in several movies.

She last appeared on an episode of "CSI" in 2006.

She was married to Randy Zisk for three years, but the marriage ended in divorce in 1996.

Grant has volunteered as an actress and mentor with the Young Storytellers Program.

Can you clarify your question regarding "The Godfather"?

Can you clarify your question regarding "The Godfather"? >>

Mongo,

I could be wrong but I think she is referring to scene at the top of the movie where Don Vito and the undertaker talk. The undertaker's daughter honor has been impugned and the undertaker wants the young man responsible to pay.

Don Vito while not happy to be disturbed on his daughter's wedding day, basically says that he cannot refuse the undertaker's wish because it is his (the Godfather's) daughter's wedding day.

He says that he will take care of the undertaker's request but reminds the undertaker that should the occasion ever arise when the Don needs help, the undertaker cannot refuse.

Remarkable how Jennifer Grant looks like a younger version of her mother.

As for THE GODFATHER, the early scene with the undertaker and Don Vito was apparently conceived to create a contrast with the later scene between Vito's son/consigliere, Tom Hagen (Robert Duvall), and movie producer Jack Woltz (John Marley), which leads, of course, to the indelible image of Woltz's waking up in bed beside the severed head of his prized racehorse.

As you recall, Hagen approaches Woltz to persuade him to cast Johnny Fontane in his movie despite Fontane's having raped and impregnated an actress who, according to Woltz, would've become a big star. Don Vito's words to the undertaker about the sacrosanctity of "respect" echo here in the pointed lack of respect Woltz shows to Hagen -- and, by extension, Don Vito; it's not that Don Vito cares that much about Fontane's getting a movie role, or that, as a father, himself, he doesn't appreciate Woltz's defense of the girl's ruined career and honor, but that, unlike the undertaker, Woltz refuses to play the game and make a respectful counter-offer that would satisfy both men's honor.

As a result, a perfectly good horse had to suffer.

True, and remember that Hagen offered Woltz the Corleones' help in making his studio union "troubles" go away in return for giving Johnny the part.

The problem with Woltz is that he was the proverbial big fish in a small pond, with his ego not willing to recognize that he was ill-equipped to go head-to-head with a far bigger and more ruthless denizen of the deep called Organized Crime.

Mongo, Old Chap;

Need some help with this one, though I didn't think I would!

I tried doing some research on that apocryphal old torch ballad "Brazil" (Ary Barroso, 1939), with the objective of running down its earliest use in a movie, as either theme or as a performance piece, and I'm getting a tad confused . .

We all know it as the cherished keystone ( as arranged & performed by Jeff & Maria Muldaur) that inspires and frames much of Terry Gilliam's dark fantasy-satire of the same name, and a lot of us "retro heads" automatically associate it with Xavier Cugat, who got more mileage out of performing & recording it than any other '40's artist . .

But according to Wikipedia & IMDb (as best I can tell), Gilliam's "Brazil" is the first theatrical release to feature it!

That can't be right, can it?

Not to usurp Mongo's position, but your question made me think that I'm sure the song "Brazil" was used in at least one Disney animated feature - like "Thee Caballeros." I found this on IMBd:

"The title song (actually named "Aquarela do Brasil" by Ary Barroso) was used in a movie for the first time in Walt Disney's 6th full length animation _Saludos Amigos (1943)_ ."

Saludos Amigos was followed by Three Caballeros, and they treat much of the same material. Walt Disney was part of the "Good Neighbor Policy" drive of the Government in the late 30s and early 40s to make nice to Latin America. I'm also of the opinion that I've heard it in other films of the 40s and 50s. Maybe Mongo can elaborate for us.

Thanks for the back-up, jdb!

I did come across that info on IMDb, so I guess I should have specified that my search-scope was seeking non-animated features ("live action").

Mongo (sob), where are you?

P.S: And I do prefer the original of the name; in English: "Watercolor of Brazil"; How lovely!

Sorry for the delay, but I'm still in cement shoes from "The Godfather" question. I want to thank those who contributed to that query for gwtwbooklover.

Klondike, the song/music "Brazil" was played in a live action movie titled "Brazil" in 1944 with Tito Guizar and Virginia Bruce.

Song: Brazil Lyrics

Brazil, where hearts were entertaining June,

We stood beneath an amber moon

And softly murmured "someday soon."

We kissed and clung together,

Then, tomorrow was another day

The morning found me miles away

With still a million things to say;

Now, when twilight dims the sky above

Recalling thrills of our love,

There's one thing I'm certain of

Return I will to old Brazil.

Mongo, my Friend;

First off, let me to clarify that I wasn't really pacing or muttering under my breath impatiently; you provide an invaluable service with this diligently on-going thread, and you do so in a pleasant & generous manner; like virtually everyone else in this Community (I'd wager), I have always been, and shall continue to be, a grateful beneficiary of this service!

So, come to find out, I couldn't see the sapling for the sequoia: the film I sought was a movie called "Brazil", hiding in the shadow of the more well-known movie called: "Brazil" (albeit with a 41-year-old age difference); neither of which should be mistaken for the 2001 film: "Brazil"!

Do I feel a little foolish?

As they say in the State House up in Montpelier: Aaa-yup!

Well, just shows to go ya, as a film historian, I'm one helluva dog musher!

Thanks, jdb!

Thanks, Mongo!

"That being said i was wondering about the scene involving the daughter's wedding where apparently if you ask for it it shall be done. Is this based on fact? Is this a tradition carried out when the higher mob bosses married off their children? Does the book explain why the people were granted favors? "

I remember this scene, and one of the characters(either Tom Hagen or Michael Corleone) explains to Kay (Diane Keaton) about the tradition that the Don refuses no request on the day of his daughter's wedding. The book, as far as I can remember, does not give any explanation beyond this. Of course, it's been at least 30 years since I read the book, so my memory may be a little suspect. And, as you can see, by the undertaker's example, the granting of the request may come with strings attached. For me, anything Lucca Brazzi wants, Lucca Brazzi gets.

CharlieT

> For me, anything Lucca Brazzi wants, Lucca

> Brazzi gets.

>

> CharlieT

Yeah, but don't offer Lucca pre-War Scotch while standing at a bar, or you'll be "Sleeping with the Fishes" CharlieT

Bartlett

"Klondike, the song/music "Brazil" was played in a live action movie titled "Brazil" in 1944 with Tito Guizar and Virginia Bruce."

"Brazil" was also prominently used in the opening sequence of Busby Berkeley's The Gang's All Here from 1943. Perhaps it was so popular in this picture Republic decided to feature it in the Virginia Bruce vehicle the following year?

Jack, since Carmen Miranda was from Brazil, I researched a few of her films including "That Night in Rio" and couldn't find where she sang the song.

And all along it was featured in the Carmen Miranda film "The Gang's All Here". Go figure.

Thank You so much for all the info everyone who chipped in with the info about The Godfather very illuminating. Yes, Jennifer Grant does look alot like her mother when she was younger. I should know I just recently watched Bob, Carol, Ted and Alice. Thanks for the pic.

Cinemascope, I don't recall ever seeing "Brazil" (1944) aired on TCM.

The Republic Pictures movie is listed on TCMs database and indicates that the title is not currently scheduled.

Perhaps you can put in a request on TCMs Suggest a Movie.

You'll find the info in their Multimedia section, with an informative synopsis.