Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

***ASK MONGO***

Dear Mongol!

I was wondering if you could tell me the actress's name who played a wealthy lady in the movie Bringing down The House she was also in 101 dalmatians?

Thank You!

Christine

"I was wondering if you could tell me the actress's name who played a wealthy lady in the movie Bringing down The House she was also in 101 dalmatians?"

Mind if I sound in? You're thinking of Joan Plowright. Besides being a charming actress, she was Laurence Olivier's third wife.

Christine, the lady is the wonderful British actress Joan Plowright. She has appeared in numerous films and was nominated for an Oscar.

She is also the widow of Laurence Olivier. She is one of my favorite character actresses, especially in the movie "Avalon".

Dear Mongo,

This may be too difficult for you or anyone to answer, since I can remember so few details. A few months ago, I saw a black and white movie (not sure if it was on TCM but may have been). It looked like it was filmed in the early '30's, maybe. I only saw the beginning of the movie. I don't know the movie's name or who stars in it. I can only tell you what the beginning was about.

I think it was set right at the end of WWI. The opening scenes were of a group of guys who were celebrating the end of the war. I believe they were in a bar or restaurant, sitting at a table drinking. I think one of the men was injured. And maybe there was another one who'd been shellshocked. I can't recall that for sure.

They are celebrating with a sort of underlying desperation and false cheer. They meet a woman at the bar. She may have been a waitress there--again I can't remember. She joins them in the drinking and partying and for a while they're all cheery and devil-may-care. They flirt with her and I think she ends up attracted to one guy in particular. They go somewhere--not sure where. Maybe her apartment or a hotel room or one of the men's apartments. I think she stays over the night, but it's all innocent. And that's as much of the movie as I saw.

Now I am curious about it and trying to find the name of it so I can see the rest of the movie. I know it isn't "Three Comrades" because I just saw that a couple of days ago for the first time, on TCM (and it was wonderful. I cried all through the end of it). I think it's an older movie than Three Comrades. I wish I could remember more details, but that's all I can come up with. If anyone recognizes this movie, please let me know! Even if I can't see it again soon or get a copy of it, I'd love to know the name of it and who was in it. Thanks, Mongo and everyone.

Thank You Mongo and Jack!

I thought she was quite funny in Bringing Down The House especially when she was at the bar.

Help, please, Mr. Mongo. Randolph Scott used a very distinct western town in several of his western movies (e.g. Decision At Sundown). I'm trying to find out where this western street was really located and if it was a separate site (such as Old Tucson) or a backlot western set belonging to a studio.

Brazos,

A number of Scott's westerns were shot up in Lone Pine, California.

There were also a number of famous movie ranches here in Southern California as well;

Corriganville started by Ray "Crash" Corrigan was in Simi Valley. It was torn down a few years ago for housing development.

The Iverson Movie Ranch (where some of Stagecoach is reputed to have been shot) was located in a corner of Chatsworth. It was sold and part of it became a gated community and the lower part a housing development. The Iverson was famous for its Garden of the Gods natural rock structures.

Melody Ranch owned by Gene Autry up in Newhall. Melody Ranch is still in existance and was most recently used as a shooting location for Deadwood.

Paramount Movie Ranch which was rented out to other studios besides the home studio. It is located in the area between the San Fernando Valley and the coast. It is still in use. Parts of the HBO series Carnivale were shot there. The western town is still there for tourists to visit.

Fox Movie Ranch which includes Malibu Creek State Park is still in use. It's probably most famous for being the location for the series MASH.

Ahmanson Ranch which is where some of Gone With the Wind and They Died with Their Boots On were shot. It is now a park.

The Spahn Movie Ranch in Chatsworth which is probably more famous for its connection to the Manson family these days than the movies that were shot there.

This site may be of help to you:

http://www.surfnetinc.com/chuck/location.htm

She was wonderful in "Enchanted April", too. To see her go from cross and cranky to kind and accepting of others was the best part of the movie.

Izcutter,

Thank you for the reply. I'm afraid I've researched pretty much all the websites that deal with locations. I'm leaning heavily toward the old Paramount Studios as the site of the western street, but can't find a distinct picture of the street as it existed during Randolph Scotts' filming there. If you have seen the street in a movie you would probably remember it because it was distinguished by a large building (usually identified as a hotel or saloon) that sat back a full block from the camera, showing a block-long street on both sides leading up to it. It was a sizable town and it allowed many camera angles and sweeps that weren't possible in other western streets.

Anyway, I'm rambling...lol. Thanks again for your reply.

> Dear Mongo,

> This may be too difficult for you or anyone to

> answer, since I can remember so few details. A few

> months ago, I saw a black and white movie (not sure

> if it was on TCM but may have been). It looked like

> it was filmed in the early '30's, maybe. I only saw

> the beginning of the movie. I don't know the movie's

> name or who stars in it. I can only tell you what

> the beginning was about.

>

> I think it was set right at the end of WWI. The

> opening scenes were of a group of guys who were

> celebrating the end of the war. I believe they were

> in a bar or restaurant, sitting at a table drinking.

> I think one of the men was injured. And maybe there

> was another one who'd been shellshocked. I can't

> recall that for sure.

> hey are celebrating with a sort of underlying

> desperation and false cheer. They meet a woman at

> the bar. She may have been a waitress there--again I

> can't remember. She joins them in the drinking and

> partying and for a while they're all cheery and

> devil-may-care. They flirt with her and I think she

> ends up attracted to one guy in particular. They go

> somewhere--not sure where. Maybe her apartment or a

> hotel room or one of the men's apartments. I think

> she stays over the night, but it's all innocent. And

> that's as much of the movie as I saw.

>

> Now I am curious about it and trying to find the name

> of it so I can see the rest of the movie. I know it

> isn't "Three Comrades" because I just saw that a

> couple of days ago for the first time, on TCM (and it

> was wonderful. I cried all through the end of it). I

> think it's an older movie than Three Comrades. I

> wish I could remember more details, but that's all I

> can come up with. If anyone recognizes this movie,

> please let me know! Even if I can't see it again

> soon or get a copy of it, I'd love to know the name

> of it and who was in it. Thanks, Mongo and everyone.

I can't tell if anyone answered this question - there's information on Randolph Scott interspersed. Well, the movie you are describing sounds like the 1931 version of "Waterloo Bridge" that TCM showed a few months ago. You could take a look on the TCM movie database and see if that title rings a bell for you.

Here's a challenge for even the most astute - and with high hopes that you or someone here can help!

I experienced my early childhood in Philadelphia, PA.

I went to Saturday matinees in the late 1940's and early 1950's.

Admission was 10 cents, popcorn 10 cents and a box of candy was a nickel, so a quarter took care of it all.

When we entered the theater the ticket taker tore our admission ticket in half, gave us the other half, along with a square colored ticket with a big number on it (from 1 - 10) and told us to hold on to both of these because they could win us a prize.

The show started with a cartoon, like Woody Woodpecker, then moved on to the weekly serial, watched how the Hero had escaped his certain death at the end of last weeks show, then continued on from there which again, ended in another perilous situation.

After this was a "Comedy Short" - and this is what, as of yet, No One has been able to find - So, this challenge remains!

Each Saturday the theater would show a short, silly "Comedy Race" (which I do not know what they were called).

This involved 10 very funny looking characters, all wearing different funny looking clothes, some with funny looking hats, funny hair-do's, etc.

These characters were contestants in a race and each one of them wore a number (from 1 - 10).

Every Saturday they would be in a different kind of race, like on bicycles, boats, cars, on foot, etc.

These races were very "Mad-cap" from start to finish.

They would always setup the near end of the race so that it looked like each one of the numbers (1 -10) was going to win, but in the end, it was always the least likely, unexpected one that would cross the finish line first.

From here the theater lights came on (intermission), the manager went up on the stage, asked that the person with #__ (the winning number) to come up and get their prize.

I have looked high and low for these but everywhere and everyone that I have asked so far could not even offer a suggestion.

So, I thought that ask you folks; Does anyone know where these can be obtained?

Any suggestions? Any Clues?

With old-time appreciation,

Charles

Mongo how did Gene Kelley get the scar on the left side of his face? Also do you know if Steve Bogart the son of Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall is a song writer? A country singer Dierks Bentley mentions a song that a Steve Bogart has a hand in writing and I wonder if it is Bogart and Bacall's son. Which leads to my next ? Sam Robards is he in the family business? If not what is he up to? Thanks....gwtwbooklover

gwtwbooklover, thus far I have 2 out of 3 for you:

"As a child he was singularly accident-prone, and at the age of six, while riding a tricycle without handlebars on Mellon Street [Pittsburgh, PA], he lurched forward on to an exposed piece of cast iron. The metal went through his cheek, causing a deep gash which bled profusely. Mrs. Kelly was out at the time, and a neighbour, hearing him cry, rushed him home, and as his wound continued to pour blood into the kitchen sink over which he was perched, she called the family doctor who stitched him up. To this day he still carries the evidence of the accident in the shape of a small, half-moon scar on the right [sic] side of his face. When he first arrived in Hollywood in 1941, certain studio photographers touched up the scar, but Gene himself never bothered to conceal it in any of his films, and it has become an acceptable part of his appearance."

Sam Robards has a busy acting career.

Will further research Steve Bogart.

gwtwbooklover, Steve Bogart is a country music songwriter and is not associated with Bacall's son Steven Bogart.

Gilda, the answer and reason for Gene Kelly's scar is just below your post.

Dear Mongo

Watching 'On The Town' again for the Nth time (a favorite of mine). I asked myself the same question for the Nth time -

Who the heck is Jules Munshin, and what is he doing in this movie ?

Don't get me wrong, I like the fellow and he was good in the movie. But he seems to have come out of nowhere and then disappeared into oblivion.

What's his story ?

Best wishes

Presteign

Dear jdb1 and Coffeedan,

Thank you for your replies. I think that the movie I was trying to find the name of was indeed Last Flight, as I read a synopsis of it and seem to recall the man with the burned hands. I did see Waterloo Bridge when it came on TCM recently and that was a wonderful movie, too. Thank you so much for your help. It is a relief just to know the name of the movie. Now I can watch for it the next time it airs.

-Mara

Thought I'd add that the title of the new movie vecchiolarry mentioned (The Last Mimzy is a reference to Lewis Carroll's The Jabberwocky, specifically the line ..."mimsy were the borogoves...". The movie is based on Henry Kuttner's 1943 short story (written under the pseudonym "Lewis Padgett").

It's trivia; I couldn't help myself from spreading it.

mongo:

The lead roles in 'Spencer's Mountain' were Henry Fonda and Maureen O'Hara. Was Mimzy the girlfriend of the oldest Spencer boy? The blond?

Anne

Anne, indeed it was Mimsy Farmer who played Claris the sweetheart of Clay-Boy (James MacArthur) in "Spencer's Mountain".

Correction: I stated that Miss Farmer was the star of the movie, yet she was a co-star. Maureen O'Hara and Henry Fonda were the stars.

Dear Mongol!

Can you tell me what Ms.Rita Moreno is doing now a days I thought she was so great in West Side Story. She is very talented.

Dear Mongol!

I was wondering who were the child stars that played in the Blondie Movies and what are they doing now?