Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

***ASK MONGO***

Hi Mongo, I've been wondering a long while if TCM has ever run or plans to run a movie titled "The Mountain"? Starred Spencer Tracey and a young Robert Wagner..... i watched it several years ago on VHS and really enjoyed it. i enjoy this thread, much thanks....

jbgrace, I watched "The Mountain" a few years ago on AMC. Unforunately TCM doesn't have the rights to most Paramount films.

Spencer Tracy gives a notable performance (as usual) and Robert Wagner is good as his greedy brother. The movie is available on video.

Scarlett, good to see you back on the boards. I found no indication that Canadian comics Mike Myers and Jim Carrey are dising one another.

Christine, there isn't much info about actor Rex Thompson who played Deborah Kerr's son Louie in "The King and I".

He was born in New York on December 14, 1942. His credits include about 5 movies and numerous TV shows, the last in 1966.

He will be 65 soon and I suspect he'll be collecting Social Security.

Of the actress on "The Joey Bishop Show" your most likely thinking of Abby Dalton, who turned 72 in August.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted: Oct 14, 2007 by UncleDoug:

I saw it last about 3 to 4 decades ago on TV.

The Part of the story I remember is that they find a statue of Lincoln at a dump and enter it in a parade. I think it might have been the Rose Bowl parade, but not sure.

I know I saw it at least twice, but cannot find this description any where?

Thanks>

UncleDoug, I didn't forget about your inquiry. It just doesn't ring a bell and I don't believe it is from a Ma & Pa Kettle movie.

Perhaps one of the members of the board can shed some light on it.

Message was edited by: mongo

Christine, there isn't much info about actor Rex Thompson who played Deborah Kerr's son Louie in "The King and I".

He was born in New York on December 14, 1942. His credits include about 5 movies and numerous TV shows, the last in 1966.

He will be 65 soon and I suspect he'll be collecting Social Security.

A friend of mine, Patrick Adiarte, who played Crown Prince Chavachulalongkorn in THE KING AND I, will be following Thompson into the over-65 club next summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mongo.

I have a few questions for you!

I was wondering didanyof the major stars in Mister Roberts have an ego problem?

When ever a a stars nameis mentioned in a movie or TV do they have to get the okay from that star,

also if there is a brand name of a product being shown does someone have to pay?

How did MR. Cagney feel when he had smash a grapefruit in the actress's face?

I heard somewhere it was improvised?

Thanks

Christine

Dear Mongo.

I have a few questions for you!

I was wondering didanyof the major stars in Mister Roberts have an ego problem?

When ever a a stars nameis mentioned in a movie or TV do they have to get the okay from that star,

also if there is a brand name of a product being shown does someone have to pay?

How did MR. Cagney feel when he had smash a grapefruit in the actress's face?

I heard somewhere it was improvised?

Thanks

Christine

Hi Christine,

I doubt if there were any/many ego problems with the stars of "Mister Roberts", especially with John Ford at the helm for most of the film.

One thing for sure is that Ford and Henry Fonda did not see eye-to-eye on the set.

Usually there's no need to get permission to mention a stars name on TV or in a movie, since the star is in the public domain.

Permission is usually granted to use a brand name product in a scene since it adds up to free advertising.

While making "E.T." Spielberg wanted to use M&Ms and was refused. He got permission to use Reese's Pieces and once the film was a mega hit, the sales of the candy went through the roof.

Mae Clark was aware of the pending grapefruit in her face by Cagney although she didn't like it.

Needless to say Cagney was happy about the outcome since the scene has become a classic.

Mervyn LeRoy directed the bulk of MISTER ROBERTS, after Ford was let go by producer Leland Hayward and Jack Warner (under the cover of Ford's becoming ill during production). LeRoy re-cast several roles, including the doctor, bringing in veteran William Powell, and dropping the characterization of the doctor as a drunk).

I have just registered here and am browsing through! I thought that it was worth posting this teeny scene that I remember from a black and white movie to see if Mongo can help!!!

I see a little blond boy with a toy lamb and all I remember is him saying sadly "come on Lamb" as he walks out of a door. I thought it was Blossoms in the Dust but it wasn't. All I know is that I watched it in the mid 80's and loved it but for some reason that scene is all I remember.

I was perusing some info on The East Side Kids, and came upon this info: Bela Lugosi shouted a four letter expletive during a sneeze-take on GHOSTS ON THE LOOSE, that was left in the finished film.

Without printing the obscenity of course, could you confirm or deny that this scene is in the movie?

Thanks,

Barb

I was perusing some info on The East Side Kids, and came upon this: Bela Lugosi shouted a four letter expletive during a sneeze-take on GHOSTS ON THE LOOSE, that was left in the finished film.

Without printing the obscenity of course, could you confirm or deny that this scene is in the movie?

Thanks,

Barb

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Re: Bela and the East Side Kids:

He said it, all right. I heard it in the link quite clearly. For the generation that has access to

'The Wire' and 'Toombstone', this is pretty small stuff. But in the context of the Hays Office era

it does give a giggle.

A few similar things got onto screens occasionally with, culture clash as a factor. Scriptwriters

familiar with Yiddish slang occasionally slipped a '****" or a 'putz" past censors not so linguistly gifted. IMO, just good fun.

---------------

Now, MONGO, a technical question:

This new layout has symbols at the top of the "Reply" form for Bold, Italics, Underlined, etc, but I

can not seem to get them into play as I can on other sites. Is there a heading or website where

instructions for this can be found?

Hoping you can help,

cmvgor

This new layout has symbols at the top of the "Reply" form for Bold, Italics, Underlined, etc, but I

can not seem to get them into play as I can on other sites. Is there a heading or website where

instructions for this can be found? >>

cmvgor,

I'm not Mongo but the symbols haven't worked since the upgrade to the boards that occurred just before Labor Day.

The tech guys have replied in the tech forum that they are working on it.

Hang in there!

You can type in the commands, yourself. The problem is, if I type them here, the form executes them, making the explanations bold, italicized, or underlined.

Suffice it to say that the commands b for bold, i for italics, and u for underline should be within brackets -- [], with the end-command adding a slash within brackets [/]

CineSage,Jr;[b/]

Testing..Testing..Does it work?[i/]

Okay, I've picked up a few tricks, but I still need some drill in how to turn it off.

Message was edited by: cmvgor, who is, on a good day, computer similiterate.

Okay, trying again.[/]

Previously I closed, or tried to, by putting both a B and a / in the second bracket. Now to see if

it worked with the slash alone.

Message was edited by: cmvgor

Message was edited by: cmvgor, who still hasn't mastered the system. Waitin' for the tech guys to get it right.

Tryin' it one mo' time:

I made it work once on another thread; now to see if it works here:

Okay, it's cumbersome but it can be done. Izcutter, did you get that?