Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

***ASK MONGO***

• 2 weeks later...

I located a magazine aricle written by Maggie VanOstrand which confirms your question regarding Fernandez posing for the image of the Oscar. However I couldn't locate a picture of him at about age 24 when the session most likely took place.

One of the most interesting and little-known incidents in the life of this fascinating man, Fern?ndez, was his platonic relationship with Dolores del R?o. Her famous husband, the multi-Oscar-winning designer, Cedric Gibbons, had been assigned by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences, the task of designing a statuette to be awarded annually for excellence in film. Dolores del R?o introduced Fern?ndez to her husband and suggested that he would make a good model for the statuette.

Gibbons agreed that Fern?ndez would indeed be perfect. It was Emilio Fern?ndez who posed nude for the statuette so zealously sought: the Oscar.

mongo;

I'm grateful that you were able to find some confirmation. The absence of a photo typifies the

frustration I have experienced because of my failure to ferret out items of information on Sr. Fernandez. Perhaps you can find a yea or nay on another factoid I've run across.

Actor/Playwrite Sam Shepard, in a book of short pieces entitled Cruising In Paradise, in a

piece entitled "Papantla" tells of being on a film shoot in Mexico. His contact on the project

is one Raul Cantado, who describes a background as a bullfighter, stunt man, and assistant

to Emelio Fernandez. Raul recounts the story about shooting a movie critic (with details I haven't

found mentioned elsewhere), and has other stories. They close out the subject with the info that

"His (Fernandez') career came to an abrupt end when he brought three hookers home one evening

and ordered his wife to cook for them. She shot him in the throat with his own gun."

--Again, no confirmation from any other source. Is this piece memoir? Fiction? Passed-along

gossip? For one thing, I can't identify any project in Shepard's filmography that is based

in Mexico.

Any help you can give on this will be appreciated. At times I have half-seriously considered this

possibility. Maybe Sam Peckinpah didn't just hire this man and use his talents in making films.

Maybe Peckinpah wrote a script and made him up.

Message was edited by: cmvgor

Movie has man who is divorced and has a child with his ex (little girl) and remarries. He and his new wife endure the meddling of his ex and his wife is ostracized when they go to what looks like a country club ...

Sounds somewhat like "And So They Were Married," with Melvyn Douglas and Mary Astor, which showed a couple of months ago on TCM - though I haven't looked again at the movie for specific plot points. There certainly were kids (her daughter, his son) who plotted and plotted against the adults (so cute!!!!), and a lot of it took place at a lodge.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027293/

The main page shows little that is helpful. Check the "full synopsis" link from that page.

Hope that helps.

Bill

Dear Mongo,

I'm looking for the title of an old black and white film that features medieval knights that turn out to be ghosts at the end of the film. All i remember about the film is it was quite dark and eerie and had lots of rolling fog.There was two knights talking in a graveyard/battlefied.At the end of the film the an army of dead knights rise up and fight.I've tried IMDB (no luck). What I remember is the film being shot mainly with the same scene. It's outdoors and the knights are at some gates, at night time with lots of rolling fog possibly grave stones and an old gnarled tree.The final scene sees these knights in armor rise up out of the fog on horses (I think) and charge into a last final battle. I think the clever bit of the film is you do not realise the main character knight is actually dead untill the end.A kind of soldiers in purgatory film. At a guess I would say the film was made in the 50's or early 60's. The last time I saw the film I watched it on what would have been a black and white telly so the film could have been made in colour.

It's not any of these film... seventh seal, Tower of London(same vein and era as the film I'm looking for), Alexander Nevsky or Tombs of the blind. My film is a bit more esoteric than an outright horror film. Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Jay.

P.S.

I'm starting to think it might have been a one hour TV play by someone like Vincent Price or Hitchcock.

Message was edited by: jjayl

cmvqor, I found no proof that Emilio Fernandez was ever shot by his wife, actress Columba Dominguez. Although I found an interesting article about the hot tempered Fernandez himself shooting people.

Within a few years he was Mexico's foremost filmmaker specializing in populist dramas, many of them starring his wife, Columba Dominguez. His fame and prestige did nothing to quench his personal combustibility; notorious in cinematic circles as the only prominent director who ever actually shot a film critic, he later served six months of a four-and-a-half year sentence for manslaughter after killing a farm laborer during an argument. In the '50s Fernandez's prestige declined as the quality of his films slackened and he returned to acting; however, every few years he also directed.

Bill, I hope that poster Monday checks in with the thread to confirm if your response was correct regarding the movie "And So They Were Married".

Jay, I checked out many movies regarding your request without satisfactory results. Perhaps it is possible that you did see it on a TV show.

Message was edited by: mongo

null

mongo;

Thanks for your efforts re info on Sr. Fernandez. A couple of random thoughts before I lay this

subject aside until I stumble over some new information (which happens from time to time):

-- Viewers who have seen The Wild Bunch may remember the opening sequence. As the

title outlaws are entering town for a bank heist, they ride past some cherubic adolescents engaged in some random animal cruelty. It was Emilio Fernandez, calling up childhood memories, who briefed director Peckinpah on the game of tossing a scorpion on to an ant hill

to watch the resulting fight to the death. The director set up that sequence at the opening of the

story, and then reflected it in the climax shootout, with the outnumbered Bunch shooting it out with a large army unit.

-- Whatever playwrite Shepard's source is, he credits his acquaintance Raul Cantido with the

story that Fernandez would arrive for work with a snakeskin briefcase containing "the script,

a bottle of white tequila and a .45 pistola."

-- This man was a soldier in his teens, and he lived most of his life in locations that resembled,

at times, the US frontier in the late decades of the privious century. I think full details of his life

would tend to give one a full understanding of the term "machismo." Yet he also functioned well

in a world of art and creativity. Maybe these are not contradictions.

-- I also think there is one helluva biopic here, if a knowledgeable writer & director team put it

together. There would certainly be an audience for it.

cmvgor, there IS a new bio on Fernandez that is supposed to be out on April 1st. by author Dolores Tierney:

Format:Hardcover

Published:January 1, 2008

Dimensions:240 Pages, 5 x 9 x 0 in

Published By:Manchester University Press

From the Publisher

"Emilio Fernandez: Pictures in the Margins" is the first book-length English language account of Emilio Fernandez (1904-1986), the most successful director of classical Mexican Cinema--famed for creating films that embody a loosely defined Mexican school of filmmaking.

103 pages... what's the chance of me asking a question that hasn't been asked before? Oh well...

How many people are involved in the Selection Of Films process? Are there different groups or departments for the different daily-weekly-monthly choices - like, one group is Today's Spotlight, another group is Star Of The Month?

Does the "not on home-video" issue carry any weight? For example, if films are vying for a slot, if one's available on DVD and the other isn't, will TCM play the one that isn't available?

Buffalo Chuck, unfortunately I'm not familiar with the programming aspects of TCM.

I do believe that some of our co-members on the board are informed of your questions, and perhaps can lend a hand.

I was curious if there were departments or if there were informal groups - "This time period, you're on SPOTLIGHT, and others are restricted to searching for night programming, morning programming, etc."

And we were wondering if there's a friendly competition among those groups, and what those competitive values might be. "How many never-before-broadcast films can you show vs. my group's selection process?" "How many films can you select that have never been on home-video?"

mongo;

I'll understand if this isn't worth your time.

Moving past Trivia into Minutiae: Some time back, while thumbing through the Katz encyclopedia,

I read a blurb on an actress who was very good, and did some very good work, but it had become

almost impossible ever to see her work. She did the movie; it was remade as a musical. The did

a B&W; it was remade in color. Almost every thing she did was remade in a version that got all

the distribution while the one with her work sat on the shelves.

I don't have time to go back through the Katz in hopes of finding that material again. I doubt if you

do either. Does any of this seem familiar? Do you have any idea who this person is/was?

Again, this may be a lost cause.

Dear Mongo!

Thank you for the last answer you had given me.So I plan to pick your wonderful brain again!

The actress who played MR.Fred McMUrray's wife in the Shaggy Dog, did she also play Danny Thomas's wife in Make Room For Daddy? When the show first aired?

What ever happened To the Girl who Played his daughter Sherry?

Thanks

Christine

Christine, indeed that is the wonderful Jean Hagen in both "The Danny Thomas Show" and "The Shaggy Dog". She was also the ditzy Lina Lamont in "Singin' in the Rain" for which she earned an Oscar nomination.

After leaving "The Danny Thomas Show", Sherry Jackson's image changed drastically in 1960s from a cute, smart TV tyke to playing sexy, smoldering love interests.

Besides the customary guest parts on TV sitcoms and dramas, she developed a minor cult audience playing beehive brunettes in lurid low-budgets actioners. You could count on seeing Sherry as a biker babe, scantily-dressed party girl or man-eating femme fatale. The work was strictly routine and her career pretty much fell away by the 1980s.

Stills of the nude scene appeared in the August 1967 issue of Playboy magazine.

She dated many celebrities including Elvis, ( there is no mention of marriage or children, although there is a ring on that thid finger left hand).

Photobucket

Sherry at a function (in the center) will be 66 next week.

• 1 month later...

Christine, here is the voice-cast of the animated TV series "Top Cat".

Arnold Stang ... Top Cat

Leo DeLyon...Bain, Spook

Maurice Gosfield...Benny the Ball

Allen Jenkins...Officer Dibble

Marvin Kaplan...Choo Choo (Henry on 'Alice')

John Stephenson...Fancy-Fancy

Mongo,

Here's something I've been very curous about for a while and I'll bet you know the story. When an old character actor, or any non-star passes away, who is responsible for updating their IMDB page? Many of these people are relatively unknown and I can't imagine who keeps track of such things, although I'm grateful that they do. I'll look forward to your answer.

Teri

Mongo,

Here's something I've been very curious about for a while and I'll bet you know the story. When an old character actor, or any non-star passes away, who is responsible for updating their IMDB page? Many of these people are relatively unknown and I can't imagine who keeps track of such things, although I'm grateful that they do. I'll look forward to your answer.

Teri

Message was edited by: cybrspacy