Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

***ASK MONGO***

Teri, I apologize for overlooking your question regarding IMDb.

Indeed the site has knowledgable individuals at the helm updating numerous data daily including births, deaths, divorces, new films, award winners, current gossip, mini bios, etc. etc.

However, credit is to be also given to the members of IMDb for their numerous contributions, although the info isn't always correct.

I know that as a fact since I research the site for my 'In the Spotlight' thread as I did with the 'Happy Birthday' thread.

No doubt it is still the best movie site on the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

Mongo,

I wonder if you might be able to help me with this information request, which I posted elsewhere at this site also.

Hello,

There is a movie, from late 1940s (or maybe early 1950s) about an elderly woman in an apartment building, who lost her son. Perhaps from a war. Or maybe she was waiting for him to return, and he never returned. In the meanwhile, her apartment building was taken over by a college. Soon everybody else in the building was a college student. Over time, she became attached to some of them (who sought her advice in matters, etc.) and had become important to them. In turn, some of the students had become important to her.

I was reading some comments about it on www.IMDb.com , which were very complimentary about this movie (about how touching it was, that it was a good sentimental movie, etc.). That was several years ago. I forgot to write down the name of the movie title.

Does anybody here know which movie I may be talking about?

The "User Comments" at IMDb were several ringing endorsements, making it sound like an exceptional movie. A drama, well done, that dealt with emotional things -- such as the woman's not wanting to leave the apt. bldg. because her son would then not have any way to find her. Also, it was suggested in the Comments that some of the college students were substitutes (of a kind) for her lost son.

Any ideas would be appreciated, in helping me to track down the name of this movie!

My e-mail address is: gentleword@yahoo.com

Thanks.

David N.

screengem, there were two versions made of the movie you are looking for about an elderly woman who lives in an apartment house that has been purchased by the local college for a boy's dormitory.

The first was "Someone to Remember" (1943) with Mabel Paige and the remake "Johnny Trouble" (1957) with Ethel Barrymore. It was Miss Barrymore's final film..

Message was edited by: mongo

> {quote:title=mongo wrote:}{quote}

> cmvgor, there IS a new bio on Fernandez that is supposed to be out on April 1st. by author Dolores Tierney:

>

> Format:Hardcover

> Published:January 1, 2008

> Dimensions:240 Pages, 5 x 9 x 0 in

> Published By:Manchester University Press

>

> From the Publisher

> "Emilio Fernandez: Pictures in the Margins" is the first book-length English language account of Emilio Fernandez (1904-1986), the most successful director of classical Mexican Cinema--famed for creating films that embody a loosely defined Mexican school of filmmaking.

mongo;

It was Jan. 19 when we last corresponded re Sr. Fernandez. My local Borders helped me out by setting up a sale of Pictures In The Margins, and having it shipped directly to me. It turns out to have little in the way of biography. It is mostly scholarly essays, devoted to his Spanish-language works, which few Americans have seen. I did satisfy my curiosity on one point. One of the few photos in the volume shows Fernandez in the role of "Zirhauen" in the film Janitzio

(1934). He would be around 31, if my arithmatic is correct. The shot gives one an idea of what

the artist was looking at when Sr. E.F. posed for the creation of Oscar the Crusader Knight.

I lack the means to post this, but you may want to track down a copy and take a look at it.

Again, thanks for your help.

cmvgor, thanks for the info regarding the Emilio Fernandez book. I'll see what I can do about getting a copy.

I'll also keep my eyes peeled if ever a more concise biography should be printed.

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much, but there was no son. The ex-wife was meddling and using the daughter as a device to get his attention. Husband was a lawyer. New wife was blond, ex wife had dark hair. His mother is initially sympathetic to the ex, but eventually refuses to help her.

Thanks for trying!

Dear Mongo,

I would be most appreciative if you could tell me the name of the film that I am searching for:

It played on TCM recently (the last 1-2 months)

Premise: Last man (and woman) in a deserted Manhattan (similar in many ways to "I am Legend"

Lead actor was African-American.

Black and White film, circa late 50's/early 60's

I only caught a glimpse of this film and didn't remember to check back with TCM.com in time to catch the details.

I am doing research on 'end of the world' films for my film studies course, and would very much like to catch the name of this film.

Many Thanks in Advance,

Jeff

Message was edited by: jdbalmer

Dear Joe!

I was wondering What Movie star name is mentioned the most in movies? and who is the most imitated voice in movies.

This is going to be a strange question.

What Marx brother was the most liked. My guess is Harpo.

Christine:

Hi. Danny told me to tell you hello as well. I imagine your thought on the question about the Marx Bros is correct when you mention Harpo being the favorite. He certainly had the widest appeal.

Oddly enough some who were close to the family thought Zeppo to be every bit as funny as his brothers, if not more so.

Chris

Hello Mongo, I have a question for you.

What happened to Nils Asther? I know that he was a silent star, but just saw him in BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN, and wondered about his career after 1932. Any info? Thanks in advance.

Christine, sorry I overlooked your questions.

As far as the most popular of the Marx Bros., I would say it's a toss up between Groucho and Harpo.

As far as the most imitated voices, Cary Grant, Mae West and W.C. Fields are most likely at the top of the list.

It's difficult to know which stars are mentioned the most in movies. Garbo? Gable? Davis? Monroe?

Message was edited by: mongo

Hi Alex. It's good to see you on the boards again.

After Nils Asther's success in the 1930s, he ended up mostly in B films in the 1940s, and was driving a truck in 1949. In the early 1960s he made some films in his homeland Sweden.

He proposed to Garbo in 1929 and was turned down. He ended up married for a few years in the 1930s and had a daughter.

Retired to Sweden, he died there in 1981 at age 84.

• 3 weeks later...

Alix,

With the arrival of sound in movies, Asther took voice lessons so as to minimize the presence of his accent. In 1935 he was forced to seek work in England after breach of contract lead to him being blacklisted. Although allowed back in 1941, his career in Hollywood dwindled throughout the 1940s, and he soon returned to Sweden, where he remained an active actor on stage and television until his death.

• 2 weeks later...

Cinemafan, It looks like info on the Japanese actor Henry Nakamura is no where to be found...yet.

He is not even listed in my Who's Who in Hollywood books.

He certainly was a charmer as Ito in "Westward the Women" (1951). If still alive he would most likely be in his 80s today.

Mongo

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Mongo!!!!! I hope all is well with you. My question is about Sammy Davis Jr. I just recently finished reading Why Me? and he describes his deal with Altovise they marry because he wants a wife that he can share his life and lifestyle with which was a bone of contention (of many) with May Britt. However, he tells Altovise he wants no more children and she relunctantly agrees. Anyway after reading the book I go to Sammy's website and read a Larry King interview and this intertwines interviews with Sammy and Altovise talking about Sammy after his death. Anyway Larry says and you 2 have a son and she says yes. Well did they adopt him or was he born to Altovise and Sammy? I can't remember his name. Please enlighten me. Plus what of the children he had with May..Tracy who was born to May and the 2 boys they adopted...

gwtwbooklover, Davis' children with May Britt (daughter Tracy, and adopted sons Mark & Jeff) have to be in their 30s and 40s by now and most likely are married with familys of their own.

They didn't seem to take to the spotlight.

His son Manny with Altovise was adopted and is most likely in his 20s.

All 4 children attended his funeral.

• 1 month later...

Christine, fom what I understand Spencer Tracy restricted his drinking while making a movie, however he was known to go on binges for days at a time.

Jennifer Grant has been acting since the early 1990s, most recently in a made for TV movie in 2007.

At age 42 she gave birth to a baby boy last month and named him Cary Benjamin.