Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

***ASK MONGO***

Randy, sorry for the delay in responding.

No doubt that Bette Davis wasn't the easiest person to get along with. I would think that Joan Crawford was more receptive in trying to culminate a friendship which I believe Davis would have none of.

Two big movie divas couldn't or wouldn't get along and half of it all was a bunch of BS.

hi mongo,

i hope this is the proper forum for my question, my apologies if not. i am having difficulty cancelling 2 watched threads. i have cancelled both yet still i receive updates. do you know who can help me?

thanks kindly,

kb

kbofu,

First of all, how long ago did you cancel the threads? Depending on the time of day of your cancellation, sometimes you can still get updates for one or two days, then they stop.

If that's not the problem, go back into "Your Watches," click "Save" on all your remaining threads, and hit "Update." That should take care of the problem -- it worked for me!

No doubt that Bette Davis wasn't the easiest person to get along with. I would think that Joan Crawford was more receptive in trying to culminate a friendship which I believe Davis would have none of.

In a bio I read, Bette Davis had proof that Joan had sabotaged her winning the Oscar for What Ever Happened To Baby Jane, with phone calls and letters, etc

I may be way off base here, but I remember reading somewhere that Joanie had a "crush" on Bette, and when Bette totally rebuffed her, the claws came out. One of them slugged the other one in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" (since I hated the movie the only time I saw it, I can't say who hit who), and the slugger seriously hurt the sluggee....back injury I think???

• 3 months later...

For the benefit of those who missed mongo's magnificent introduction to *Double Indemnity* last night, I'll just go ahead and mention that he talked about his joining the message boards when talking to Robert Osborne.

Mongo, of course, is the name of Alex Karras' character in *Blazing Saddles*, but the details of why our mongo chose it as a screen name is something that I hope he can share with us again here in his thread. ;)

Mar, I'm just hoping that if he yawns and stretches out a fisted arm, I'm standing more than an arm's length away. "Easy there, big fella..."

I've always preferred thinking this was his tip o' the hat to being "...but a pawn in Game of Life". But I too hope he'll chime in. (I just hope he doesn't say "Because Russ Meyer still had the MONDO names already taken..." ha ha)

OK folks I'm here and will gladly explain how my screen name of Mongo came to be.

When I discovered the message boards at TCM it was a movie buffs delight. Of course I decided to join in the fun and registered to become a member. After entering all the information required I

was asked to choose a screen name of which I wanted to relate to movies.

I chose Movie Joe (perfect) but it was rejected as taken already. I then entered Cinema Joe and again rejected. Matinee Joe...rejected. This went on 5 or 6 times and I was getting frustrated by then.

In the meantime I had "Blazing Saddles" on the TV and the character of Mongo as played by Alex Karras came into town. In my frustration I entered the name Mongo and preasto it was accepted.

Yikes! What did I do? I was as far from a Mongo as one can get. Since I didn't want to go through the registration process again, I decided to keep the name and I'm glad that I did.

Through the years I would imagine that some members of the boards imagined me as a rough and tough biker of sorts. Actually it turned out to be fun.

Joe aka Mongo

Being into 1930's movies not 1970's movies I was unfamiliar with the Mongo reference you said inspired your name. I always thought your name was a reference to the Planet Mongo in the Universal "Flash Gordon" serials (1936, 1938, and 1940). That's the only movie-related Mongo I know.

But wherever it came from, so glad you're here! You did a great job on TCM last week, and on everything you do here, too.

> {quote:title=mongo wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks for your input, MovieDiva. I'm also glad that I stuck with the name even though I was

> as far from a Mongo as one can get.

>

> Message was edited by: mongo

That's kind of irrelevant, as far as a forum like this one goes. Every time I see "Mongo" posted here, I imagine that big galoot, Alex Karras, punching the poor horse in BLAZING SADDLES.

And speaking of Buster Crabbe, isn't it about time for whoever holds the copyright and film elements to issue the 1930s BUCK ROGERS serial on DVD? I always liked it much better than FLASH GORDON, in that it had a serious anti-tyranny message underneath all the Saturday-mornihb serial derring-do.

Of course, since you're a Joe, your real identity just might be Joe Don Baker, who played the title role in the 1971 TV movie, Mongo's Back in Town.

> {quote:title=CineSage_jr wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=mongo wrote:}{quote}

> And speaking of Buster Crabbe, isn't it about time for whoever holds the copyright and film elements to issue the 1930s BUCK ROGERS serial on DVD? I always liked it much better than FLASH GORDON, in that it had a serious anti-tyranny message underneath all the Saturday-mornihb serial derring-do.

BUCK ROGERS, 1939, was released on DVD by VCI Home Video back in 2000. As far as I can tell, it isn't a "bootleg" copy but a genuine release. It's available at Amazon and probably other places as well.

> {quote:title=nightwalker wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=CineSage_jr wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=mongo wrote:}{quote}

> > And speaking of Buster Crabbe, isn't it about time for whoever holds the copyright and film elements to issue the 1930s BUCK ROGERS serial on DVD? I always liked it much better than FLASH GORDON, in that it had a serious anti-tyranny message underneath all the Saturday-mornihb serial derring-do.

>

> BUCK ROGERS, 1939, was released on DVD by VCI Home Video back in 2000. As far as I can tell, it isn't a "bootleg" copy but a genuine release. It's available at Amazon and probably other places as well.

All 241 minutes crammed onto one disc. The quality must be execrable. Surely somebody will eventually do the proper release the serial deserves.

> {quote:title=CineSage_jr wrote:}{quote}

> All 241 minutes crammed onto one disc. The quality must be execrable. Surely somebody will eventually do the proper release the serial deserves.

Well, that may be so. I couldn't say. But I can say that the quality on the VHS release, consisting of two tapes in SP mode (which I bought in 2000), was quite good, and from what I've read, is probably going to be "the best there is" unless someone plays it on, say, a channel devoted to classic film. If you still have one of those old-fangled VCRs, that might be the way to go.

Message was edited by: nightwalker to add some more details