Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Remakes

Sepiatone

In the now running "Joseph Cotton" thread, there are several mentions of "Shadow of a Doubt". I recall seeing a movie called "Step Down to Terror" that was an obvious remake. And of course, not as good.

So it got me to thinking about other remakes. There will be scads that just escape my dodgy memory, but I can start this off with a couple more:

"A Song Is Born"/ a musical remake of "Ball of Fire" starring Danny Kaye and Virginia Mayo. Just as, if not more, entertaining.

"High Scociety"/ "Philadelphia Story" also set to music.

You guys here are sharp! DON'T let me down...

Sepiatone

*The Rains of Ranchipur* with Lana Turner is a remake of *The Rains Came* with Myrna Loy

*Imitation of Life* with Claudette Colbert was remade with Lana Turner

*Stella Dallas* with Belle Bennett was remade with Barbara Stanwyck

*Libeled Lady* with Myrna Loy was remade as *Easy To Wed* with Esther Williams

*It Happened One Night* with Claudette Colbert was remade as *You Can't Run Away From It* with June Allyson and a musical version *Eve Knew her Apples* with Ann Miller

*My Sister Eileen* with Roz Russell was remade as a musical version with Betty Garrett

*So Big* with Barbara Stanwyck was remade with Jane Wyman

*Miss Sadie Thompson* with Gloria Swanson was remade as *Rain* with Joan Crawford and again as *Miss Sadie Thompson* with Rita Hayworth

*The Postman Always Rings Twice* with Lana Turner was remade with Jessica Lange

Hitchcock remade *The Man Who Knew Too Much* (1935) in 1956

> Clark Gable starrred in Red Dust and its remake.

You mean MOGAMBO.

STORM OVER THE NILE is a remake of THE FOUR FEATHERS.

LIVING IT UP, a remake of NOTHING SACRED.

ROCK-A-BYE BABY, a remake of THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK.

HIS GIRL FRIDAY, a remake of THE FRONT PAGE.

THE VAGABOND KING, a musical remake of IF I WERE KING.

THE ADMIRABLE CHRICHTON, a remake of MALE AND FEMALE.

RIDING HIGH, Frank Capra's remake of his own BROADWAY BILL.

MOVE OVER, DARLING, a remake of HERE COMES THE GROOM.

P.S.: There's absolutely no point in listing a film that was remade under the same title.

*Bachelor Mother (1939)* starring Ginger Rogers and David Niven was remade as *Bundle of Joy (1956)* starring Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher.

*The Bishops WIfe (1947)* was remade as *The Preachers WIfe (1996)*

**The Heiress (1949*)* was remade as *Washington Square (1997)*

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Good list, people. Keep 'em comin'! Although *You've Got Mail* is a bit of a stretch I think...

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Sepiatone

Really? That's interesting to me, as I thought people knew it was a remake of *The Shop Around the Corner*...It was even mentioned when it came out that it was.

(Just me...?) ?:|

No, not just you. Meg Ryan's book store is even named The Shop Around The Corner. It's an updated version using email instead of writing letters. They are competitors in business instead of working together. It's the same story of 2 strangers falling in love before the know each other's identities.

> I think *Madame X* may be the champ -- filmed around a dozen times.

Does that include movies like *To Each His Own* which are very similar but don't claim to be remakes?

I think there have been about ten versions of *Brewster's Millions*, under various titles.

>I think Madame X may be the champ -- filmed around a dozen times.

THE MOST COPIED FILM PLOT:

This plot was also used in Ruth Chatterton?s Frisco Jenny (1932), Kay Francis in Confession (1937), Pola Negri in ?Mazurka? (1935), Helen Hayes in ?The Sin of Madelon Claudet? (1931) (the son is a doctor at the end).

A version of:

Femme, La (1910)

Who Is She? (1910)

Hvem er hun? (1914)

Madame X (1916)

Madame X (1920)

The Lady (1925)

La Mujer X, (1931)

Forbidden (1932)

The Strange Case of Clara Deane (1932)

Ruth Chatterton?s Frisco Jenny (1932) son taken away, later becomes DA and has his mother executed for murder, never knowing she was his mother.

The Secret of Madame Blanche (1933)

Whirlpool (1934) Jack Holt & Jean Arthur, Jack goes to prison, meets his long long daughter later, and he tells her.

Confession (1937) with Kay Francis, loses daugher, later kills her daughter's bad lover, goes to jail, daughter attends trial but is never told who she is.

Pola Negri in Mazurka (1935)

The Sin of Madelon Claudet (1931) loses son, later her son is a doctor who helps her, never knowing she was his mother

Madame X (1937)

A Woman Is the Judge (1939), a lady judge finds out the girl in her court trial is her daughter, given up for adoption years ago.

Reno (1940) Richard Dix, hasn?t seen daughter for years

To Each His Own (1946) Olivia de Havilland, loses her son, later meets him years later and he is told that she is his mother.

The Trial of Madame X (1948)

Agnostos, I (1954)

Mujer X, La (1955)

Madame X (1966)

Madame X (1981) (TV)

Nothing like maternal sacrifice to please the crowds! Stella Dallas also has similarities. Frisco Jenny (one of my favorites) is sort of an inverted Madame X.

SPOILER ALERT!!! In Madame X, the lawyer son representing his mother (without knowing she's his mother) gets her acquitted of murder. In Frisco Jenny, the son is the district attorney who sends his mother (Ruth Chatterton) to be hanged, but she won't let on that she's his mother! The last scene of Frisco Jenny -- Helen Jerome Eddy burning the newspaper clippings, shot from the back of the fireplace, is a heartbreaker.

Yes, and I think the ending of Frisco Jenny is the most sad of all the Madame X movies.

Ruth Chatterton was really great in this film.

SPOILERS ? SPOILERS

The end of ?Frisco Jenny?. The DA who witnesses the murder is her son, but he never knows it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pedXtgNJrzs&feature=player_detailpage#t=378s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKVpjA5IZuU

How about 1934's "Little Miss Marker" being remade in 1949 under the title "Sorrowful Jones" starring Bob Hope and Lucille Ball. Then in 1962 Tony Curtis and Suzanne Pleshette made "40 Pounds Of Trouble". Then in 1980 Walter Matthau and Julie Andrews made "Little Miss Marker".

How about 1931's "The Front Page" being remade in 1940 as "His Girl Friday" then a TV movie in 1970 titled "The Front Page". Then in 1974 Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau did their version titled "The Front Page". Still after that was 1988's version titled "Switching Channels" with Burt Reynolds, Kathleen Turner, and Christopher Reeve.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde may be at the top as far a remake of a specific plot line.

Friday's L.A. Times had a article on Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson. The main point of the story was that Watson being daft as played by Nigel Bruce compared to the Jude Law portrayal and that Law was a lot closer to how Doyle portrayed Watson.

What I didn't know was that "there have been over 200 movies featuring the character Holmes and more than 75 actors and by most citations he is the most persistent fictional character in film history, ahead of Dracula, Tarzan and old Ebenezer Scrooge".

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings