Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Hatchet Man (1932)

RosalyndDoneghy

TCM aired this film a couple of years ago. Apparently some people copied it off the air and are selling copies of it. You can find them with a Google search, but I don't know how reliable they are. Major companies don't seem to be selling it.

This film basically has the same cast as an early 1930s gangster film, but they are all playing Chinese characters.

Edward G. Robinson - Wong Low Get

Loretta Young - Toya San

Charles B. Middleton - Li Hop Fat

Leslie Fenton - Harry En Hai

Tully Marshall - Long Sen Yat

J. Carrol Naish - Sun Yet Ming

Edmund Breese - Yu Chang

Anna Chang - Sing Girl

Dudley Digges - Nag Hong Fah

Blanche Frederici - Madame Si-Si

I have never seen this film nor am I familiar with Anna Chang, but one would think against all the non-Asians in the cast (and Myrna Loy is not among them!), she would stick out like a sore thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's someone selling it:

http://www.webstore.com/The-Hatchet-Man-1932-Edward-G-Robinson-RARE-DVD,name,12852605,auction_id,auction_details

However, I am not familiar with this outfit, so tread carefully even though you'd only be out about $20.

TCM had this one on not too long ago> It certainly was most odd, as all of the princpals were made up as Chinese. No doubt used today for college film studies as an example of Hollywood's treatment of Asians back then...

Hope this helps you...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived