Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Funniest scene in a movie

doctorxx

There are many, but one that comes to mind is from a Laurel and Hardy short where they return to their lunch wagon that's sporting an "Out To Lunch' sign. When they open the door, scads of cats jump out from every opening.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=Bolesroor wrote:}{quote}SO many!

Yes! But, just to add one or two to the list, when Buster Keaton as the Cameraman hops on the fire truck with his camera in hand assuming he's on his way to a fire (where he can get a great photo)...Well, if you haven't seen the film I won't give the scene away, but the truck isn't on the way to a fire.

Also, in The Odd Couple:

Felix: "It's not spaghetti, it's linguini".

Oscar: (Throws the plate against the wall), "Now, it's garbage".

I like when a comedy comes along that makes me laugh so hard for so long, it gives me a headache. They are rare and far between.

"Who's Minding the Store" (1963) when Jerry Lewis shot the mounted lioins head with an elephant gun. I was only a teenager at the time and never seen it before.

"Porky's" (1982) Just after the famous shower scene when Ms. B_llbreaker was complaining to the principle.

That scene is on YouTube. The coach was suggesting putting up Wanted Posters.

"Nutty Professor II, The Klumps" (2000) The hamster rape scene and the aftermath when a humiliated Dean Richmond told the Professor I was walking down the street and this 8-year old boy says, Look Mommy, there's the Hamster's B__CH!

Hands down for me is the mirror scene in *Duck Soup*.

I've watched that baby a GAZILLION times(okay, okay...maybe 30 times) but I swear I STILL laughed as hard the last time I watched it as I did the first time.

Saaaay, ya know...I think I could use a good laugh right about NOW...and sooooooo.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5lU52aWTJo

(...okay, I just watched it again aaaaand....:.. :^0 :^0 :^0 :^0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!)

The title sequence in Monty Python and the Holy Grail is hysterical. When I first saw the movie it's what I most enjoyed, since I had heard most of the other lines before.

Also, from Love and Death: "Wheat! Wheat with Feathers!"

And then there's this from A Fish Called Wanda:

*Otto*: You know your problem? You [Englishmen] don't like winners.

*Archie*: Winners?

*Otto*: Yeah, winners.

*Archie*: Winners, like North Vietnam?

*Otto*: Shut up! We didn't lose Vietnam! It was a tie!

Edited by: skimpole on Jan 5, 2012 10:38 PM

*~~ Dargo ~~*
*Hands down for me is the mirror scene in Duck Soup.*
*I've watched that baby a GAZILLION times(okay, okay...maybe 30 times) but I swear I STILL laughed as hard the last time I watched it as I did the first time.*
*Saaaay, ya know...I think I could use a good laugh right about NOW...and sooooooo.......*[|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5lU52aWTJo]
*...okay, I just watched it again aaaaand....:.. :^0 :^0 :^0 :^0!!!!!!!!!!!!!)*

I think the Funniest part of that 'Mirror Scene' was when Groucho does that fast 'twirl around',
but too fast for Harpo to 'mimic' but he still ends it with both hands extended out, as if though he did
twirl around . . . Fast thinking on Harpo's part (if it wasn't rehearsed) !

It's amazing how they all looked alike with glasses, mustache and a cigar !! :D

Thanks for posting that Link ... I had another Laugh @ it too !

Well, if you want to go by audience LAUGHTER, the absolute funniest moment ever has to be in WAY OUT WEST when Stan gets off the mule, sending it up to Finlayson's balcony with Ollie crashing down through the cellar door. The build-up to this moment is simply beautiful and the payoff never ceases to get loud, long response.

I have to agree with everyone here. Those are all funny scenes. To put in my vote, It's got to be from the first "Naked Gun" movie where Leslie Nielsen is out on the ledge of the building hanging onto a statues male genitials and trying to pull himself up, then breaks the genitial off and when inside comes at a woman with the look of a maniac like he's going to attack her with the statues genitials. I really don't need to actually see it. Just thinking about it makes me laugh.

I agree, every scene mentioned is very funny. I'd add WC Field's *It's A Gift* . The grocery scene with Mr. Muckle destroying everything in the store and the Carl LaFong scene has always given me a good laugh. Also, the stateroom scene in *Night At The Opera*, when the door is opened and everyone tumbles out Another very funny scene in one of the ridiculous *Naked Gun* series, is Cathy Rigby as she cartwheels down the isle to accept the Oscar.

In the late '50s and early '60s, there were several feature-lenght documentaries produced by Robert Youngson, who put together some of the funniest scenes from many old silent comedy movies. I went to see some of these at a local theater, and I was laughing all the way through them. He showed the best of the best.

Some of these shows are available on VHS or DVD:

1961 Days of Thrills and Laughter (documentary) (producer)

1960 When Comedy Was King (documentary) (producer)

1957 The Golden Age of Comedy (documentary) (producer)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0950288/#Producer

> {quote:title=ugaarte wrote: }{quote}

>

> I think the Funniest part of that 'Mirror Scene' was when Groucho does that fast 'twirl around',

> but too fast for Harpo to 'mimic' but he still ends it with both hands extended out, as if though he did

> twirl around . . . Fast thinking on Harpo's part (if it wasn't rehearsed) !

>

>

Yep! That's the part of it that absolutely has me on the floor every time too, ugaarte! :^0

> {quote:title=ugaarte wrote:}{quote}

> It's amazing how they all looked alike with glasses, mustache and a cigar !! :D

Yep! All of Minnie's boys sure did look a whole lot alike, didn't they?!

> {quote:title=ugaarte wrote:}{quote}

Thanks for posting that Link ... I had another Laugh @ it too !

You're welcome! B-)

Yes, the Marx boys were VERY identical without the makeup, costumes, etc. How identical? Examples:

1. When they were young, and hustling piano jobs in saloons and nickelodeons, Chico would audition for a job, then Harpo would take it over - and then get fired as he only knew two songs on the piano ("Waltz me around Again, Willie", and "Love Me and the World is Mine".

2. The Marxes were touring with the play Animal Crackers in '29 or '30, and Groucho got hit with appendicitis while they were in Chicago. Zeppo took over Captain Spaulding, and was supposedly so good, Groucho made a VERY quick recovery!

and this is the best:

3. During the A DAY AT THE RACES tryout tour, Chico's daughter Maxine had come to visit them for a few days, and faithfully went to every show. One day she decided to go shopping, and missed a show. When she gets back to the theater, Chico asks her, "What did you think?", and she goes, "I went shopping..." Chico looks VERY disappointed - turns out that the boys had totally switched roles for that one performance - just for her!

And since we are on the subject of DUCK SOUP - kudos to whomever did the captioning of it for TCM - it actually kept up with the dialogue, PLUS for the scenes where Harpo was using his horn in RTF's office, they added little descriptives of HOW Harpo was using his horn ex: 'HONK?? ' 'LAUGHING HONK', etc!

3. During the A DAY AT THE RACES tryout tour, Chico's daughter Maxine had come to visit them for a few days, and faithfully went to every show. One day she decided to go shopping, and missed a show. When she gets back to the theater, Chico asks her, "What did you think?", and she goes, "I went shopping..." Chico looks VERY disappointed - turns out that the boys had totally switched roles for that one performance - just for her!

Harpo and Chico had switched and they never did it again. Zeppo was very funny according to nearly everyone. It's way too bad he didn't have more to do.

Answering the original question - one of the funniest is the "girl fight" in "Vivacious Lady."

*Ray:*

I read the original take with the mule actually killed it and upset the boys quite a bit. They were more careful afterwards.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings