Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Traveling Husbands 1931 Out of focus


silentothirties

Recommended Posts

> {quote:title=ziggyelman wrote:

> }{quote}Oh yes, unwatchable! I have direct TV, so it was on TCM s side it would appear....shame, since I don't recall it running before...

Several of the early talkie period RKO's look like that. I assume that's the best material there is.

 

And, yes, it has been on TCM before, but not as often as we'd like.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have DIRECTV and saw this movie also. About the first ten minutes was "out of focus", but after that it was clear and I found the movie enjoyable. RKO has certainly not kept their late 20s and early 30s films in as good shape as Warners. Everyone I see has condition issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching my copy now, from a DIRECTV broadcast of the last TCM airing.

 

What I see is a double-image. Sort of an outline "echo" image, like what some of the old VHS recorders used to make back in the early 1980s. In profiles, everyone has two front forehead lines, one is an "echo".

 

The whole film is like this.

 

But I'm glad TCM aired it anyway.

 

Some modern copies of old films suffer from bad "master" copies of them being made in the past, in the 1950s through the '90s.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=ziggyelman wrote:

> > }{quote}Oh yes, unwatchable! I have direct TV, so it was on TCM s side it would appear....shame, since I don't recall it running before...

> Several of the early talkie period RKO's look like that. I assume that's the best material there is.

>

> And, yes, it has been on TCM before, but not as often as we'd like.

>

I recall some early RKO talkies being, soft like you say, but this was by far the worst copy of any RKO film I have ever seen TCM run.(Or TNT back in the day) I can take specs, dirt, lines in the film, brightness issues, but out of focus is ridiculous(just like there not having the normal spell check available via Mozilla on this forum for some reason) and rare or not, they shouldn't have run it, IMO. Almost makes you sick to watch something out of focus.

 

Edited by: ziggyelman on Jan 8, 2012 10:05 AM

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm on Dish and get TCM HD and it wasn't much better in HD, but I've certainly seen worse prints...Kay Francis in Confession (1937) which is such a great film of hers and badly needs some kind of restoration, comes to mind. Then again, I'm always amazed at some of the film quality on some of the early prints, like Heroes for Sale (1933) that was on the other day, that look pristine. Loretta Young looked positively luminous in that one. I'm sure it's something to do with RKO vs WB as was pointed out. But as Confession was a WB production, sometimes it's probably just the luck of the draw or just fate, perhaps.

That said, I rather enjoyed Travelling Husbands...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...