Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You Know

slaytonf

You know that when a storm comes up in a movie a window in a room (and it is always one window)(and it is always in the room people are in) will blow open (and windows are never sash or casement during a storm), and one of the people will rush to relatch it, although why they think it will work any better than it did before is a mystery to me, but they must know something about it, because the window never blows open again, which is another mystery to me.

That when two people start to make out in a movie, the phone will ring, but that does not always happen, otherwise there would be no sex scenes, but after the sex the phone will ring, or something bad will happen to the one or both of the people to show that sex is bad and we shouldn't do it, even if they've spent the last five minutes showing it.

That when someone passes an open bedroom door and there are one or more people sleeping in it, or any place where a person is sleeping and they are covered by a blanket, the person will go up to them and adjust their blanket, even if it doesn't need to be adjusted, or the person sleeping has kicked them off because it's too hot, and about half the time they kiss them, and it doesn't wake them up.

That when there is a car chase, vegetables will be involved, and to their detriment.

That when a man and woman are being chased, the woman will fall down, and she will say I can't go on any farther, and she urges the man to leave her behind (the intent that he save himself, even if she is doomed), and the man always ignores her, and pulls her up, and they never get caught anyway.

That when a person is being chased, they will fall. The people chasing never fall, but the person chased will. I never fall. I have never in my life fallen when I am running. But I have also never been pursued. Perhaps that makes a difference.

That when a person is being chased, at some point, or at several points, they will stop, turn around, and wait to see her (his) pursuers following, which is a mystery to me, the point of running being to get away.

That when there is a gunfight with people on horseback, someone will be shot off their horse, and be dragged by a stirrup, even if it is an Indian, who don't use stirrups.

Anything else you know?

Edited by: slaytonf on Jan 8, 2012 12:19 AM

> {quote:title=bagladymimi wrote:}{quote}....The one that really bugs me is when being pursued, the person turns around to see if he is still being followed.

So mimi, it appears you're an adherent of the Satchel Paige Philosophy in this regard, eh?!

(...the Hall Of Fame baseball pitcher who was famous for saying, "And don't look back—something might be gaining on you.")

;)

You betcha Dargo. :)

Another one is that they are always able to find a parking space right in front of the building where they want to go. Think about it - have you ever seen a movie with someone looking for a parking space? The only parking lot scene I can think of is in "Fried Green Tomatoes", and that was only because it was part of the story.

Looking for a parking space doesn't have tremendous dramatic effect, and eats up precious screen time. Of course, that was a major plot point on "Seinfeld".....In BONNIE AND CLYDE, wasn't there a scene near the end in which Michael J. Pollard had trouble finding a place to park?

You know that a cab driver who receives a small tip will have a witty comment and he will not become angry.

You know that all people always carry with them enough money for a train ticket to a distant city.

You know that all men need only one suitcase. Women need either one suitcase or twenty-seven cases/boxes/trunks.

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> You know, those suitcases are never as light as they appear in the movies. Why is that?

There were restrictions on material use during WWII. The clothing took as much space to pack as it does today but as it was made with less fabric it was considerably lighter. ;)

Don't you imagine that those suitcases that they "carried" were empty. Then another scene was shot with clothes in them. They almost had to be when you see one man carrying 5 suitcases at a time!

You know, whenever the actor goes to the front desk, there is always someone ready and waiting to help him. How often does that happen anywhere?

>>casablancalover wrote:

>>You know, those suitcases are never as light as they appear in the movies. Why is that?

>

>SansFin wrote:

>There were restrictions on material use during WWII. The clothing took as much space to pack as it does today but as it was made with less fabric it was considerably lighter.

I KNEW there was a reason! LOL... Though, in The Best Years of Our Lives, the three returning servicemen were given real packs to tug. Wyler goes for authenticity when he can.

*He does not fear the actor.*

That if a person happens on someone who has just been shot, or stabbed, and there is a gun or knife (respectively) around, she (or he) will immediatly grab it, or pull it out of the victim (if necessary) to be just as immediately discovered with it, or to leave their fingerprints on it.

That when escaping by a window, whoever is being chased will wait until the police are sure to see that he has is escaping that way. Also, it seems as though the same pair of sheer white curtains is always on that window, blowing from the wind - to make sure the police don't miss the clue!.

That when someone throws a grappling hook with a line to climb a wall, they will show a shot of the hook wedging into place, and whiie the person is climbing they will sometimes show a shot of the hook slipping a little, but it never completely loses its grip.

That when someone is crossing a stream in a car, or truck, or something, it will stall in the middle, and if there are a man and a woman inside, the man will carry the woman the rest of the way, so that she will not get wet, only just when they get to the bank something will happen that will make both of them fall in the water and they get wet anyway.

> Slatonf wrote: That if someone (either the good guy or the bad guy) is shooting at someone who is after them, and they run out of bullets, they will throw the empty gun at them, which never does any good.

So true, I just saw a trailer for ABBOT & COSTELLO MEET THE MUMMY on TCM last night and sure enough, the lady shooting at the muumy ran out of bullets and then threw the gun at him! :^0

greetings, all.

You know..

that one should never turn their back on a Monster the first time he's down and motionless..

never..ever..

and..

That I can journey to the center of the earth, or some other fantastic adventure,

bruised, dusty, gown in shreds..

but still sporting a swell coat of lipstick.

Edited by: Nova_Heston on Jan 30, 2012 1:05 AM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings