Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Andromeda Strain" Not an auspicious way to start the evening... A great director (Robert Wise) but long past his prime and completely out of his element: this movie features unattractive people in bad clothes and worse hair talking incessantly in stiff, stilted dialogue about a threat that doesn't register as "real" in the least...

The other movies tonight HAVE TO be better than this.

*They Came from Within*, David Cronenberg's early masterpiece, is one of the best contagion films and perhaps Cronenberg's most effective film. To quote its plot line on IMDB:

"The residents of a suburban high-rise apartment building are being infected by a strain of parasites that turn them into mindless, sex-crazed fiends out to infect others by the slightest sexual contact."

> {quote:title=Bolesroor wrote:}{quote}

> this movie features unattractive people in bad clothes and worse hair talking incessantly in stiff, stilted dialogue about a threat that doesn't register as "real" in the least...

This is typical of intellectual science fiction. The shoot-the-BEMs movies traditionally have much younger stars who let their blasters speak for them as buildings fall all around.

FYI: BEM = Bug Eyed Monster

> {quote:title=Bolesroor wrote:}{quote}"The Andromeda Strain" Not an auspicious way to start the evening... A great director (Robert Wise) but long past his prime and completely out of his element: this movie features unattractive people in bad clothes and worse hair talking incessantly in stiff, stilted dialogue about a threat that doesn't register as "real" in the least...

>

> The other movies tonight HAVE TO be better than this.

>

The original is far BETTER than the lousy remake done for cable a few years ago. It's one of my faves of Wise's sci-fi films.

Why did you even bother watching since you don't seem to like anything?

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}I thought you'd find that tidbit fascinating. Michael Crichton wrote The Andromeda Strain. I worked briefly with his mother on a project a long time ago. She was very tall. Very nice, too.

Uh, okay....yes, I know he wrote it. I read the novel way back in the 70's.

Bolesroor wrote:

<< this movie features unattractive people in bad clothes and worse hair talking incessantly >>

In other words you don't want people in movies looking and behaving *normally.*

I like that average Joe approach in "The Andromeda Strain". Ever been to a supermarket where you might see people dressed just plain awful, like wearing house shoes, half a pajama or women in hair rollers. Lol!

A big departure from unrealistic appearances like Ingrid Bergman in "Joan of Arc" where she had a beauty salon built into her dungeon.

Like this movie for 2 other reasons, first the alien lifeform itself. Having it not to be based on DNA but a self replicating crystal structure is a work of genious.

The other reason is that movie ever so reminds me the old days of computers before graphics and memory by the ton. The image of the petri dish results were called "pix" in the old days, using letters and numbers to draw something. RTTY operators use to send photos of people drawn only by that method, one I still have is of Richard Nixon. One did need a very clear signal though.

When the Color Computer first came out around 1981, it only had Color Basic and the only way to draw something was using that technique in "The Andromeda Strain" or CHR$ codes. When Extended Color Basic came out, one then could draw, lines, circles (resembled ferris wheels more than true circles) but was restricted to 64K of memory - (32K for the program).

Tried to draw a Smiley using O and * but this website don't allow a lot of spaces in each line.

Edited by: hamradio on Jan 10, 2012 10:50 AM Typos.

>I thought you'd find that tidbit fascinating. Michael Crichton wrote The Andromeda Strain. I worked briefly with his mother on a project a long time ago. She was very tall. Very nice, too.

I don't know about Crichton's father, but it's obvious from your recollections that half his genetic material contained the tallness gene. I saw him at the funeral of film composer Jerry Goldsmith back in 2004 (though we didn't speak); I'm 6'1 1/2" and he towered over me by at least five inches.