Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Frances Dee Fans

Being in a social circle where classic film fans are a rare breed, I think it's so wonderful to be able to come online and meet other aficionados like myself. Why, just a few months ago I mentioned "Bringing Up Baby" in conversation and the girl I was speaking with looked at me as if I had said I was going to have a baby! She had never even heard of Katharine Hepburn or Cary Grant -- sad!

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any fellow France Dee fans on the board? I am just "discovering" her work, and she has swiftly become my favorite actress. Top film of the moment is "If I Were King" starring Ronald Colman, Basil Rathbone and, of course, Miss Dee. Any chance that this film might be coming out on DVD anytime soon?

Also, I am in the process of building a Frances Dee website and thought it would be fun to spark conversation on these boards as I learn more about my favorite actress.

Hello and welcome filmfashion,

I completely understand the situation you described, when I talk about being a film buff fond of old movies, people think of "The Godfather" as an old movie, for them the 1930's and 1940's, are almost like speaking of Prehistoric Times!

I too like very much Frances Dee, I think she was a very classy, elegant, beautiful and talented actress, that sadly didn't achieve the star status that she deserved. She was married to another favourite of mine, Mr. Joel McCrea.

I also saw "If I were King" a couple of years ago (I borrowed it from a Public Library) and I liked very much; she was good opposite Ronald Colman. I think the plot of this film was first filmed in 1927 as "The Beloved Rogue" with John Barrymore (a silent). And it has been filmed as a musical too, in 1929 as "The Vagabond King" with Dennis King and Jeanette MacDonald, remade in 1956 with Kathryn Grayson and Oreste.

I haven't seen many films in which she was featured and I liked her especially in "Little Women" (1933) and "Of Human Bondage" (1934), both released on DVD.

These are the films of hers I would like to see: "Souls At Sea" (1937), "Becky Sharp" (1935), "Blood Money" (1933), "The Silver Cord" (1933), "An American Tragedy" (1931), in which she plays the role later impersonated by Liz Taylor on the remake "A Place in the Sun" (1951) and "Playboy of Paris" (1930), opposite Maurice Chevalier, which I will be receiving (hopefully) any moment now, since a fellow film buff, copied it for me.

Thank you for your kind welcome, Feaito!

Ooh, yes, isn't Joel McCrea wonderful! It was because of him that I began investigating the career of Miss Dee. Four Faces West has since become one of my favorite films of all time, and I look forward to seeing their other three on-screen pairings: The Silver Cord, One Man's Journey and Wells Fargo.

Thank you too for the information on the background of If I Were King. I'll have to check out the other versions, especially the silent with John Barrymore -- that is, if I can find it!

Just saw Souls at Sea a few days ago and found it fascinating. Miss Dee is wonderful, as always, handling both comedy and drama with aplomb.

Lucky you, seeing Playboy of Paris! Be sure to tell me all about it! =) My top five "must-see" movies are The Gay Deception, Wells Fargo, Headline Shooter, An American Tragedy and Love is a Racket.

By the way, can anyone answer a question for me? On the most recent TCM Remembers, they showed a clip of Miss Dee standing at a picket fence, smiling, then turning back into the house. Can anyone tell me which movie this is from? Thanks!

Of Human Bondage? Thanks! You know, while watching TCM Remembers I was holding up fine -- sad, especially when Virginia Grey and those dear, dear composers came on, but fine. Yet the moment I saw Frances Dee I burst into tears. Funny, isn't it? I never even knew her, have only seen a handful of her films, but she is the one that affected me the most. My comfort is that, if my suspicions and hopes as to her religion is correct, I will meet her in Heaven.

Yes, The Gay Deception sounds like great fun! I can't wait to get hold of it. According to the trivia section on IMDb, some of the scenes had to be re-shot when it became evident that Miss Dee, or perhaps I should say Mrs. McCrea, was soon to become a mother. It's such a lovely story isn't it? -- Frances Dee and Joel McCrea, I mean. On my Frances Dee website (a link to which can be found in my profile), I've posted an old Photoplay article that interviews Mr. and Mrs. McCrea. It sheds some light, I think, on why their marriage was so successful.

I now what you mean, I also get emotional when I've watched along the years, famous stars from the Golden Era. I remember in the '80s, I got a kick out of watching the special Celebration for the 100 years of Hollywood, I remember a segment in which actresses from many Eras were featured, dressed in white gowns, among them Ruby Keeler, Lillian Gish, Ginger Rogers, Luise Rainer, Alice Faye, Marlee Matlin (who was hot then, after her A.A winning role), Drew Barrymore....Great moment!

I will check your website!

I also became very interested in seeing more of Frances Dee's films this past year. I had seen her in LITTLE WOMEN and OF HUMAN BONDAGE, but primarily knew her has Joel McCrea's wife, too. Recently, I managed to acquire SOULS AT SEA, and I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE. However, my search for THE GAY DECEPTION has been fruitless so far. If either of you happen to come across it, please let me know how to go about acquiring a copy.

Yay, I can finally help somebody! Panellacjunocom, I know where you can get a copy of The Gay Deception, I was just about to order one for myself! Don't know if link-posting is allowed on these boards, so I'll have to tell you the long way around.

1. Go to Reel Classics (you can do a Google search for that if you don't know the site) and scroll down to Merchandise - click the link

2. On the Merchandise page, click Classic Movies on Video & DVD

3. Scroll down again until you come to Rare Video & DVD Dealers, click on Bob's Home Page

4. Once there you can follow the alphebetical index, or go straight to the e-mail address at the bottom of the page. After that, just tell them what you're looking for.

I've dealt with Bob and Spring before. They are very nice, very helpful and sent out my tapes promptly -- in other words, a connection highly recommended to the classic film fan in search of that elusive title!

So glad I could help!

Tell me, how is I Walked With a Zombie? I've been a little nervous about approaching that one.

Also, have you ever seen Headline Shooter or Love is a Racket? TCM has a trailer for the latter in their multimedia archives -- watched it the other day and it has me intruiged, especially since three of my favorites are among the cast: Miss Dee, the oh-so handsome Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. and Ann Dvorak.

Oh, and what about Wells Fargo? Have you seen it? And, and, and...

=)

Having seen I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE,I highly recommend it. Good story,and very atmospheric.Val Lewton produced it. His style reminded me of THE CAT PEOPLE and ISLE OF THE DEAD. Dee plays a nurse sent to treat Tom Conways wife .Voodoo spells and other creepy goings on keep the movie moving at a fast pace.Good cast and direction.

For another good film,try FOUR FACES WEST starring Dee with husband Joel McCrea.

Thank you for your recommendation, kenwalk04! I do adore Four Faces West already. As for I Walked With a Zombie, I think I will give it a try. My library system carries it, thankfully.

Feaito, have you received your copy of Playboy of Paris yet? I'm ever so anxious to learn what you thought of it! =)

Not yet filmfashions, and I'm overanxious too! Along with "Playboy of Paris" come copies of "One Hour With You", "The Love Parade", "Monte Carlo", "The Big Pond" and five more films from the late '20s and 30's, which I cannot recall now.

I'll let you know.

Ah, have we a Chevalier fan in you, feaito? How nice to have all those wonderful movies coming! I hope you get them soon!

Be sure to watch for Frances Dee in Monte Carlo. She has a small bit as a receptionist. If you do spot her, would you be so kind as to tell me which scene she is in -- it will be helpful for my website. Thanks! =)

Hello

I want you to know I just absolutely love your site on Frances Dee. It's about time this lovely and talented actress was given the recognition she deserved for her talent as an actress. I've been a fan of her and her wonderful husband, Joel McCrea for years. Talk about two classy people and underrated talents. Also, there has been some misinformation put out about Frances over the years, including a bogus "real" first name as well as an incorrect birth year of 1907. I'm sure the incorrect birth year was supplied by Paramount Pictures to hide the fact that Frances was underage when she signed her first movie contract.

Well, when Frances passed away, I was a little curious, because her family gave her birth year as 1909. Since I had to do some ancestry research for school, I decided to do some research on Frances Dee and her ancestors. I had the name of Frances' father, and someone in my Joel McCrea group provided me with the first name of Frances' mother, Henrietta (although I did know her maiden name of Putnam), which helped me tremendously in my search.

I found two birth certificates online (of Frances and older sister Margaret) as well as a 1910 Census Form from Los Angeles Mr. and Mrs. Dee and their two daughtes. So, I will pass this information on to help you with your website.

Frances Dee's parents were Frank M. Dee Jr. (1883-1934) and Henrietta Putnam Dee (1885-?). On the 1910 census form it listed Frank's age as 23 and Henrietta's age as 21 when they got married. The person in my Joel McCrea group told me Frank had a December birthday; so, that means he and Henrietta were married, at the earliest, in December 1906, but more probably, were married in 1907.

Frances' sister Margaret Dee (Trumbull) was born on February 27, 1908 and died on June 20, 1985 at the age of 77. As you can see, with Margaret's birth date being February 27, 1908, there is no way Frances could have been born on November 26, 1907. I also found Frances' birth record, which listed her birth date as November 26, 1909; her birth name as Frances Marion Dee. Having the mother's maiden name of Putnam on both certificates proved that this was, indeed, the birth record of actress Frances Dee.

However, the cincher was the 1910 U.S. Census form that listed Frank M. Dee Jr. (age 26) his wife Henrietta (age 24) and their two daughters, Margaret (age 2) and Frances M. (age four months). Now, back in those days, examiners went to your place of residence to conduct the census. Parents are not going to lie about their daughter's ages. What would be the purpose. Besides, how in the world is one going to pass off a four-month old infant as a two year old. I also knew this was Frances' family because it listed the correct birth states of both her father (Ohio) and her mother (Vermont).

I hope I haven't upset you any way. My intention was just to give you some more information to use on your website, as well as to correct some wrong information that has been passed around for years (some by jerks by that Richard Lamparski fellow).

Like I said, you're doing a great job. I like those linkds you have to all of Frances' films, as well as the lovely pictures. If you like, I have quite a few pictures I've collected over the years. I can maybe scan a couple and email them to you Keep up the good work.

Deborah

Hi, again.

Frances also has a very small role in the Clara Bow flick "True to the Navy." Frederic March, who was Clara Bow's love interest in the flick, has a pal who is always looking for a girl. March's pal proceeds to make faces at a pretty girl sitting at a table in a bar in Tijuana, having a drink with her boyfriend. The pals makes all sorts of faces, trying to get her attention. The boyfriend points to his girlfriend, who turns and looks at March's pal, and they both start laughing. That girl is Frances Dee.

Oh, and by the way, to clear something up on my last post. I talked about misinformation passed around about Frances over the years, including a bogus real first name, without stating what it was. For years, some biographies (but not have all) have listed Frances' real name as Jean Dee, when, in reality, her real birth name was Frances Marion Dee (in all likelihood, she was named for her father and grandfather, Frank M. Dee Sr.). From what I've been able to make out, this story started from a fellow named Richard Lamparski, who wrote a bunch of tabloid-style, "Whatever Became Of" books, starting in late 1960's through 1980's. The later books were not as bad as the original five, but they had this tabloid style to them.

Just wanted to clarify what I meant. I didn't realize how long my other post was until I looked at it just now.

And, to whoever purchased "Playboy of Paris," I'm interested to hear your review and whether or not your copy is any good. It's so hard to find Frances' films, especially her early Parmount ones.

Take care.

Deborah

Deborah,

Wow, you really did your research. Thank you very, very much for everything you wrote! It means so much to me that you took the time to help me with my site! Thank you too for your kind comments -- I'm so glad you like my Frances Dee Tribute!

Yes, I would love to receive any pictures you can scan! I believe my e-mail address is listed in my profile on these boards. Also, may I use what you wrote about "True to the Navy" in the Filmography section of my site? It may be some time before I get a chance to view that film -- Miss Dee's movies are rather hard to track down as you know. However, I do like to post what information I can find about them so others who have the opportunity may take the chance to see them.

Joel McCrea and Frances Dee are wonderful...and underrated. I was watching my copy of "Stars in My Crown" the other night and burst out into applause more than once, both for Mr. McCrea and because of the storyline. What would it be like, do you think, if Miss Dee had been given the part of Harriet Gray? Not to detract from Ellen Drew, she was marvelous, but I'm just curious.

- Susan

Hi, Susan:

Sure, go right ahead, use my comment. Make sure you mention the boyfriend sitting with her because there was another lady who kind of looked similar in an early scene, but wasn't her. It looked like Frances was cracking up as she watched March's buddy make faces at her. Like you said, it's very hard to get her films, since they are all in this vortex that all early Paramount films have. Even some of Joel's early films, especially the ones he did at Fox (with Will Rogers) are almost impossible to find.

As for the pictures, I'll see what I can come up with. I also have some articles, but I don't want to overload you all at once. Besides, I don't want to have so much stuff at once that there might be any problems with copyrights, although I would assume that the fair use doctrine would apply, since this is a noncommercial site. It will take me awhile to come up with all of the stuff. I'm going to try to get some of Frances' films on Ebay or through dealers, but I'm very cautious because I want to get relatively good copies. The DVD copy of "True to the Navy" was great; the one I had for "Follow Thru" was faded. However, "Follow Thru" was featured in "Broadway" documentary on PBS, and from what I could tell, it looked like they restored the film.

This whole thing (my researching) started out because I was trying to find out more about Joel McCrea's two siblings, both of whom were older than he was. Then when Frances died, and there was this discrepancy in birth year, it made me curious. Since I had access to this ancestry.com site, which I'm going to start up again on a limited basis, I used it to find out which was correct.

Actually, when I confirmed the 1909 birth year, it made a lot more sense for a lot of reasons. For one thing, since Joel and Frances were born within a five-block radius of each other, I could never figure out why they did not meet as children. Los Angeles was a country town back then; so, they would have probably gone to the same school, albeit being two grades apart. Also, if Frances had been born in 1907, she should have been finished with college by summer 1929. In fact, in a lot of her early articles, there were a lot of hints about her being younger (like graduating from high school in 1927). It goes to show you what a down-to-earth, sweet, nonegocentric person Frances was. A lot of women (and men) would have gone out of their way to correct that wrong birth year (which made her older). Obviously, Frances could have cared less and only bothered about it because she was working on her autobiography with Andrew Wentink.

Oh, Suan, I adore "Stars In My Crown." Yes, I could very well see Frances playing the role Ellen Drew played. Ellen and Frances worked together in "If I Were King" back in 1938. For some reason, Ellen did not enjoy making "Stars In My Crown." I don't think it had to do with Joel McCrea. It might have had to do with the fact that she really had a small role compared to everyone else in the movie. Doesn't Joel's character in that movie remind you of Atticus Finch? That one scene in the end is so moving.

I think I remember you mentioning you were going to get "Wells Fargo." I taped that off of AMC several years ago. Unfortunately, the copies around now are the shortened 1958 rerelease of 1:35 minutes, not the original two-hour movie. I keep hoping they will restore the movie to its original length.

There is one thing you might be able to help me with, Susan. I want to know how I can go about emailing Robert Osborne to ask him a question. When I was talking about Frances' older sister Margaret, I don't recall whether I mentioned that Margaret had a bit role in Frances' film "Becky Sharp." The IMDB film site lists her part as unbilled, playing a young girl. I'm just trying to figure out which one of the girls (probably at the beginning of the movie). Unfortunately, I purchased this movie before they restored it, and the copy is not that great.

I guess Margaret was visiting her sister on the set and that's how she got in the film. If you want to include this in your information about "Becky Sharp," go right ahead.

Like I said earlier, I think your website is absolutely fantastic. Frances Dee is one of my favorite actresses, and she and her husband are two of my favorite people from the Golden Age of Hollywood. I know the majority of their neighbors down in Moorpark thought the world of them. I was really bumbed out, Susan, when I saw the SAG awards, and they left Frances out of the "In Memorium Tribute." I mean, Susan, she had a twenty-five year career of around fifty films. Some of the people they remembered, I had never even heard of. Supposedly, she is a lock for the In Memorium on Oscar (at least I would hope so).

Either way, your website is going to help keep her memory alive, as well as the memory of her husband, Joel McCrea. Believe, you are going to introduce at least a few people to Frances' movies, people who will fall in love with her like you and I did. When I think of that horrid, politically correct remake of "Becky Sharp" and then the one with Miriam Hopkins and Frances Dee, it really ticks me off. Frances showed more charisma in that one brief scene in "True to the Navy" than either Witherspoon or the drab who played Amelia had throughout that whole disaster of a movie.

Take care. I will see what I can dig up. I might see if I can find that article that was published right after Joel and Frances wed. It is kind of in Fragile condition, but I will see if I can make a copy and then scan it for your use.

Deborah

Just realized something: in his interview with TheDigitalBits, George Feltenstein announced that Val Lewton's films will soon be released on DVD. Does this mean I Walked With a Zombie will be coming in 2005/06?

Deborah, thank you again! You've come up with the most wonderful information, all of which I'm sure I would never have found were it not for your kindness. I've posted your comment regarding True to the Navy on my Frances Dee website -- a million thanks!

How interesting that Margaret Dee appeared in Becky Sharp! And that Frances and Joel were born so near each other! That's really a wonderful story, I can't wait until Miss Dee's autobiography is released!

Perhaps, Deborah, would you tell me a little about Miss Dee's role in Follow Thru? She is credited on IMDb as playing merely "Bit in Ladies Locker Room". The movie itself sounds like fun -- fluff, but fun. One film I've just learned about and am anxious to see is June Moon, starring Jack Oakie. Let's hope I can find it!

Yes, Wells Fargo is on its way to me as we speak, as well as The Gay Deception and Love is a Racket. I'm excited! By the way, have you seen the complete version of Wells Fargo? From your comments it seemed like you might have.

J.D. Gray and Atticus Finch -- two wonderful, wonderful men! You're right, Deborah, their character do resemble each other. And I agree with you: the final scene of Stars in My Crown is marvelous!

You know, it's funny, but I never realized that Ellen Drew was in both Stars in My Crown and If I Were King. I've seen both movies, loved both movies, but my mind never made the connection.

As for writing to Robert Osborne, I couldn't find an e-mail address. Perhaps you could use the TCM Feedback form, though I doubt Mr. Osborne sees those e-mails. The only other route I can think of is to write via snail mail c/o his publisher.

Thank you again for your kind comments regarding my Frances Dee tribute! I love working on it, and pray that through it, others will indeed "discover" the marvelous Miss Dee, and Joel McCrea, for themselves.

Hoping your day is lovely!

- Susan

Dear Susan:

Thanks for the compliment. I really appreciate it. Looking through my stuff, I realize what I have is more pictures from magazines than actual stills, although I do have an ovesized one of Frances in color. Maybe I can reduce it. It also appeared in that "In Memorium" tribute book last year.

What I have are like three or four JPEG's of Joel and Frances when they were young. I'll take that one article to the copy place and maybe they can blow up the picture there; so, I can e-mail that to you, too. I'll warn you, Susan, I'm not very good at photography, and I don't have a photo software program. So, I can only scan things as JPEG or bitmap. I don't even know what scanning something as ART means, which I noticed was how you had it. You might have to try fool with the photo once I send it to you. I'll send it to you as an e-mail attachment and let you know ahead of time.

I'm very complimented that you would use my quote for your website. I've always adored Joel and Frances. The thing that is so wonderful about them they seem to have been wonderful people offscreen as well. I don't know if you saw "Hollywood Home Movies" last November, but there were several darling clips of Frances with her children. You talked about what a wonderful wife and mother Frances was, and it certainly seemed that way from the home movies. The ironic thing about it is that Frances came on shortly after a clip with Joan Crawford, talking about tucking her children up in bed, which made me chortle with laughter. Well, we all know who was the better mother, don't we.

I have never seen "Manslaughter," or a lot of Frances' other early movies. I have seen "An American Tragedy, "Love Is a Racket," and "Silver Cord," but that is about all of her pre-1934 films.

Like I said, the DVD copy I have of "Follow Thru," which refers to your golf swing is fair at best. The sound quality is excellent; the picture not as much. However, I've seen clips from recently where it looked like it was restored (like "Broadway" on PBS); so, I'm hoping to find a better copy.

Anyway, when the lockeroom scene came up, the picture was so faded, I could not make Frances out. However, there was someone posing with a girdle who sounded like Frances, but I could not tell because the picture was bad. I did see clips from some other Hollywood special, though, where there was a clear picture of the locker room scene. Frances is one of several girls standing around in only her underclothes. It looked like she and the other girls were getting dressed, ready for the big golf match. This was originally a Broadway musical. It's most famous song is "Button Up Your Overcoat." Two other songs are "We'd Make a Peach Of a Pair" and "I Want To Be Bad." I know that Frances was changing her clothes or appeared to be getting dressed (or perhaps the opposite) in the one scene. However, as far as modeling the girdle goes, I cannot be sure of it.

Oh, by the way, one more thing in the Biography section. When you changed Frances' birth year to 1909, you forgot to change her age when she died to 94. I can see how that could happen very easily because you think about it one place not the other.

Thanks for information about the FAQ section. I did see it; so, I will send them the question. There were about two or three girls who looked similar to Frances, but it was hard to tell because I bought this copy before they restored the color on the film. There was one girl who was talking to Miriam at the beginning of the film. I will have to look at it again to see her name, although I kind of doubt that is Margaret.

The one thing I have never been able to find of Frances is a picture of her as a child, although there is one little girl I know who looks like how I would envision Frances looked as a child. I'm sure there will be some pictures of her family in her autobiography/biography. Another thing you don't see is pictures of Frances and Joel with their children in the fan magazines, mainly because they didn't feel it was right to exploit their children that way (unlike some celebrities). I do have one of Joel with the two boys when they were toddlers, but it came off of microfilm and is not very good.

Within the next week, I will try and send those pictures to you. Oh, one more little tidbit on Frances. I talked to this guy who teaches my evening class. He knows Hyde Park (where Frances grew up) pretty well; so, I asked him if the school she went to was still around. I knew for certain that Hyde Park High School (Frances was class of 1927) was still around, but I was not sure about her grammar school. This guy told me that Shakespeare Grammar School was still around five years ago; so, to the best of his knowledge it was still there. I thought that kind of neat.

I'll be sure to e-mail TCM. Maybe they'll know; maybe they won't. The funny thing is, Robert Osborne knew Frances' correct birth year and had it correct in his column, but the guy who wrote the column for TCM did not. Oh, well.

Take care. I'll send you that stuff when I get a chance.

Deborah

Dear Susan:

Since, as you notice, my posts are pretty long, I decided to answer this in two parts.

In response to your question about "Wells Fargo," I have only seen the edited 1958 rerelease version. At one point, they were going to sell it at "Movies Unlimited," but cancelled it. My version I taped off of AMC several years ago (when AMC was still worth watching).

I've never figured out why they edited this movie on rerelease. It was Paramount's number one film of 1938. I suppose it was to get more showing, but the problem is doing it caused a little gap of continuity in the film. It really isn't that big of a deal, except one moment Joel is in Saint Louis; the very next minute he is in San Francisco. I've figured that this is where the twenty minute segment was cut out, that and some movie stills of Joel and Bob Burns together. I really love this movie. Frances makes a great Southern Belle, and Joel is great as well. My one reservation about the film is Bob Burns, who got on my nerves at times. He was a very popular comedian of the day, and I guess they thought it would be comic relief.

Either way, "Wells Fargo" is still an excellent movie. With all the film restoration going on and the restored popularity of director Frank Lloyd (who also directed "If I Were King"), maybe "Wells Fargo" will be restored to its original December 1937 length.

Incidentally, to illustrate what kind of woman Frances was, I'll tell you this little anecdote that appeared in gossip columnist Jimmie Fiddler's column in late 1937, during a preview of "Wells Fargo." Seems he was talking with Frances when she went to buy some newspaper to read the reviews of the movie. Frances tipped the young newsboy a dime. The newsboy got all excited and decided to use his profits to go to the ice cream parlor next door to get a double-dip chocolate ice cream cone. Fiddler said Frances was chuckling to herself as she watched the boy as he dropped his papers and dashed into the ice cream parlor to get his cone. Unfortunately, coming out of the parlor, the boy did not look where he was going and tripped on the sidewalk, causing his ice cream cone to fall into the grate by the sidewalk.

Jimmie Fidler said that when Frances saw the forlorn look on the kid's face, she went up to him, opened up her purse, and gave the kid another dime. The kid said "Thank you." Then he looked at Frances and said, "Another dime! You must be a really rich movie star or something." Reading that story in Fiddler's column (and I have no doubt of its veracity), I wondered if that kid ever realized who that was who gave him those dimes. I just thought it was really sweet of her. It shows you what kind of a girl Frances Dee really was.

As for "I Walked With a Zombie," I hope it comes out on video or DVD. At the Tufts University tribute to Frances in December 2003, they showed a new print of the film, after which Frances did a question and answer session. This was shown on Boston televison (or was supposed to be shown on Boston TV on March 10, a few days after Frances passed away). I'm hoping if "I Walked With a Zombie" does come out on video, that "An Evening With Frances Dee" will appear as one of the extras on the DVD. It sure has not been shown anywhere around here. I hardly look at PBS anymore, except for that "Broadway" special they had last year.

Take care.

Deborah

Oh, this is so much fun!

Feaito, have you good news at last? How exciting! Thank you for being so willing to research Manslaughter for me -- I would appreciate any information you can find.

You know, Deborah, it's just like me to change the birth year and not change Miss Dee's age at the end of the article. I've never been good with numbers. =)

No, I didn't see Hollywood Home Movies -- I wish I had! It sounds wonderful, and how nice that they showed footage of Frances with her children. Yes, I imagine she was a wonderful mother, especially after reading your comment on how she and Joel didn't exploit their children. I've read so many "horror" stories about that very subject.

That story you related, Deborah, about the nickel and the ice cream cone was cute. You said that occurred at the preview of Wells Fargo? It's a wonder they cut that movie at all for the re-release. Are there any copies of the original version available to the public?

Good to know about Follow Thru, thanks. And I have been wondering about that title.

You have a color photo of Miss Dee? Oh, I would love to see that as I have yet to watch any of her Technicolor movies, though Becky Sharp is on its way to my library right now. Those pictures you mentioned of Frances and Joel sound marvelous as well. I have only one image of the pair together; it's posted in the page on Wells Fargo. As for scanning items as ART, I haven't the foggiest idea of what that means. I just fiddle with the scanner and computer and pray the result is nice.

Thank you again for all the research you have so graciously passed on to me. I've been wanting to rewrite the Biography section to make it more my own (and hopefully more factual!), and you have helped me enormously. One thing I love about all this work is that the more I learn about Frances Dee and Joel McCrea, the more I admire them. Isn't that lovely?!

-Susan