Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Man's Favorite Sport?

fan777

Thank You TCM for showing my favorite movie, Man's Favorite Sport? I noticed by scanning this months schedule that it will air at 4:00pm on January 29, 2012. I think this is the first time in my life I made a suggestion and someone actually followed thru with it. That is I requested in December for you to air it. Thank You very much. This little act of kindness by you guys and gals at TCM, has made me feel great. I hope everyone who watches will enjoy the movie as much as I will. It's a great upbeat movie. Thanks Again.

I first saw this movie when I was a hormone driven adolescent and couldn't for the life of me figure out why Rock Hudson shielded his eyes when Paula Prentiss and Maria Perschy were sitting opposite him with rain soaked blouses!

Of course, years later it all made sense to me.

Sepiatone

*Man's Favorite Sport* also got some inspiration from the 1936 film *Libeled Lady* , a great screwball comedy with part of the storyline having William Powell trying to "impersonate" a fishing expert so as to impress Myrna Loy and her father. Powell's fishing scene is a classic. *Man's Favorite Sport* takes that premise and builds a whole movie around it.

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}I first saw this movie when I was a hormone driven adolescent and couldn't for the life of me figure out why Rock Hudson shielded his eyes when Paula Prentiss and Maria Perschy were sitting opposite him with rain soaked blouses!

>

> Of course, years later it all made sense to me.

> Sepiatone

>

LOL!

Btw Sepiatone, I also remember "having the hots" for Paula Prentiss back in '67 when I watched her and her husband Dick Benjamin in their short-lived sitcom, "He and She". I would've been about 15 y/o at the time, and so yeah, those "adolescent hormones" of mine would've definitely been a "contributing factor" in all that, I'm sure! ;)

I was one of those adolescent males that had a thing for Prentiss. Yea, she might of not stacked up to someone like Loren but gals like Prentiss have that everyday girl type of vibe. A gal a young guy might have a chance with.

Gals like Loren are gals only for our dreams and we would have to travel thousand of miles to get to her and it wouldn't lead anywhere. This is what makes gals like Prentiss attractive to us. And yes, the pun was intentional.

Well if Paula is really 6, 5 since I'm of average height for a male (around 5 - 9) I would be about at the height of those rain soaked blouses that got this discussion going.

As for Loren; Hey, my wife is Italian and I can tell you they do not take kindly to body hair jokes. Not at all. I have the laser removable bills as proof!

IMDb lists Paula at 5'10" (when in her bare feet probably) so she usually was a good head taller than other gals who were her costars. In the TCM promos for "Henry Orient" we see her and Angela Lansbury (who has to be close to 5'10" herself) cast with Peter Sellers, who was a rather short guy. Wonder how Peter felt about that?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings