Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ronald Reagan's Birthday


Recommended Posts

Several times I have written about the fact that Ronald Reagan's birthday is not celebrated on TCM. At one time I received an answer saying the schedules are set up at least 6 months ahead of time and it was then too late to make any changes. In the summer that year, I wrote you to tell you that Reagan's birthday was coming on Feb. 6 and to be sure and remember him. That year I believe you gave him 2 or 3 movies (not my favorites). The next year he was forgotten again and I wrote complaining about it. How can you give so many stars a whole day on their birthdays, and ignore the ONLY star who actually became the President of the United States! I wrote again, 6 months before his 100th birthday, but you also ignored that. TV channels all over the country were talking about this man and his 100th birthday, but not TCM!

 

Well, I just received my "Now Playing" guide for February and again there is no mention of Ronald Reagan on February 6th. Scanning the guide, I found no mention of Kings Row, Brother Rat, Knute Rockne, John Loves Mary, to name a few which happen to be my favorites.

 

I think it is shameful that a channel like your's, with all the best classic movies ever made, would PURPOSEFULLY ignore one of the greatest men of our century and why? For political reasons? That's even more shameful. The classics are to be enjoyed by everyone and all of them should be shown for the benefit of all.

 

[lormost@optonline.net|mailto:lormost@optonline.net]

Link to post
Share on other sites

While I don't agree Reagan is close to being 'one of the greatest men of our century" I do agree TCM should celebrate his birthday.

 

He was in enough high quality movies to justify that and even if one disagrees with his politics, he was President of the USA. If Lansbury gets a month, Reagan deserves at least a day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can choose to accept this explanation or not, but February is the month TCM salutes the Academy Awards and all films shown from 2/1 through 3/3 are films with Academy Award nominations.

 

Mr. Reagan has been Star of the Month at least once (maybe twice) and a couple of his films are going to be shown in a few days, including John Loves Mary.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It has to do with the fact that February is TCM's 31 Days of Oscars, more so than politics (and I say that as a Reagan fan). Clark Gable's birthday is February 1 and none of his films will be aired that day. I imagine it's the same for any other star with a Feb. birthday.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this issue was recently discussed on another thread, anyone who's birthday falls in February is out of luck for a "day" because of TCM's 31 days of Oscar. Apparently none of Mr Reagan's work meets that standard.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely TCM should celebrate President Ronald Reagan's Birthday. After all he was not only an accomplished great actor, family man but he was our Leader and President for two consecutive terms(1981-1989). President Reagan was also a successful Governor of California from (1967-1975) also served our country in the US Army Air Forces for eight years and ranked Captain. So yeah Absolutely TCM should without any doubt celebrate former President Ronald Reagan's Birthday. GOD Rest His Soul. Mr. Ronald Reagan would smile from Heaven if TCM celebrated his Birthday.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was wrong about his being Star of the Month, I apologize -- I don't think I go back as far as 1995 with TCM, at least not tracking who and when they honor a star. However, I still think something should be done about his birthday. After all, when we have 31 Days of Oscar, there are often stars being honored because they were nominated, or in a movie that won an Oscar or with a star who won an Oscar. Certainly, they can schedule a Reagan movie on his birthday even if it is talking about an Oscar for something else. For instance, he was in movies with Bette Davis, Claude Rains, etc. If they aren't doing the Oscar movies that way this year, then I bow out, but they have other years. Now, I have to apologize because I just noticed 2 movies (on the 8th and the 9th) with Ronnie in them. Of course, it would be nice if they put his name in the cast so I could be sure, but I think he's in San Antonio with Errol Flynn.

Happy movies, everyone.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

If someone is born in Febuary and they have oscar winning performances than it does make sense to feather those films on their birthday.

 

Since Reagan was SOTM twice I don't see how anyone can say TCM has a political 'issue' with him. Based only on his movies and acting ability, I don't see how he rates being SOTM twice, when someone like Joel McCrea or Leslie Howard have never been SOTM (yea, I'm going to keep bringing up these two guys anytime this topic some up! :) ).

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, Helenbaby, for the heads-up on John Loves Mary. I haven't even checked the January guide -- just check the channel daily. I'm still involved in Christmas, straightening out after flooding from Hurricane Irene, and still reorganizing after getting new kitchen cabinets nothing fits like it used to in the old ones -- it all happened one after the other. When the February issue comes I check it right away, but I wasn't worried about January dates. Thanks for that.

 

I'm new to the message boards, etc. so I do thank you all for you input. You really can straighten a person out.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

> I think it is shameful that a channel like your's, with all the best classic movies ever made, would PURPOSEFULLY ignore one of the greatest men of our century and why? For political reasons? That's even more shameful. The classics are to be enjoyed by everyone and all of them should be shown for the benefit of all.

Ah, you've just made a far more compelling case as to why TCM hasn't done it than I could: you don't want Reagan as Star of the Month because he was a great, or uniquely entertaining actor, one whose contributions to the art and crafts of acting and film are significant and enduring, but simply because you want the channel to abet the relentless inflation of his reputation as a politician.

 

That's what screenwriters and cynics brand an ulterior motive.

 

The fact remains that there are countless other mediocre actors whom TCM has failed to make SOTM's and, based on that criterion alone -- what the subject accomplished as an actor -- Reagan fails to make the cut.

 

 

PS: "...PURPOSEFULLY ignore" should read purposely ignore (purposefully and purposely don't mean the same thing).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Gotta say I think you're pretty hard on Ronnie here, Sprocket! :0

 

(...would that be because he saved his very best acting performances until the years 1980-1988, and WAY after he left Hollywood???) ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Keeping in mind the recent posting by the TCM administrator concerning getting too heavy into politics (unless it pertains directly to a film role or storyline) , and I completely agree with that stance. So with no political inference on my part I must say that Ronald Reagan was definitely a mediocre actor (group him with a number of other good looking manly types who couldn't act worth a darn) but could do supporting roles or go to tv and play sitcom dads. If Mr Reagan didn't switch careers and become a successful politican would anyone be reminiscing about his past film career? Remember now, I am only commenting on Reagan the actor here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}Keeping in mind the recent posting by the TCM administrator concerning getting too heavy into politics (unless it pertains directly to a film role or storyline) , and I completely agree with that stance. So with no political inference on my part I must say that Ronald Reagan was definitely a mediocre actor (group him with a number of other good looking manly types who couldn't act worth a darn) but could do supporting roles or go to tv and play sitcom dads. If Mr Reagan didn't switch careers and become a successful politican would anyone be reminiscing about his past film career? Remember now, I am only commenting on Reagan the actor here.

Well, we do Mr.Goody Two Shoes appreciate Ronald Reagan's acting skills and just because you say it ain't so, don't make it so.

 

I read your post Michael but this guy needs to be responded to from time-to-time.

 

Jake in the Heartland

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}C'mon, how can they celebrate Reagan when two greater artists -- Gayle Hunnicutt and Ramon Novarro -- share the same birthday?

*Yawn.*

 

The authentic and original and one and only Jake in the Heartland

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, GOD gave me a gift to know talent. I'm not afraid to post that Mr. Reagan was a talented darn good actor. His delivery and timing were always on point. Really watch his movies and study his timing, movements and gestures. Put all politics aside choose any one or several of his movies that fits your fancy(as everyone knows there's a list of Mr. Reagan Movies on IMDb). When you choose one or several of Mr. Reagan's movie really study his acting....and take it from there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Blondie7 wrote:}{quote}Absolutely TCM should celebrate President Ronald Reagan's Birthday. After all he was not only an accomplished great actor, family man but he was our Leader and President for two consecutive terms(1981-1989). President Reagan was also a successful Governor of California from (1967-1975) also served our country in the US Army Air Forces for eight years and ranked Captain. So yeah Absolutely TCM should without any doubt celebrate former President Ronald Reagan's Birthday. GOD Rest His Soul. Mr. Ronald Reagan would smile from Heaven if TCM celebrated his Birthday.

What a load of whoeee! Your post sounds like a Stephen Colbert parody. And Reagan NEVER served in the armed forces, he was in the reserves throughout WWII. The other drivel I won't even respond to.He spent his "US Army Air Force" years not in the US Army Air Force. He was in the reserves and never left the US during WWII. Nearsightedness was the reason. He made movies during WWII. Later he described what the scene was like when the concentration camps were liberated. Even though he was in Hollywood during the time it happened. :)

 

"Ronaldus Magnus. The most beloved man in all of conservatism repeatedly confused (or "confused") scenes from his acting career with heroic battlefield moments...that he never participated in or witnessed. Reagan, for instance, is reported to have boasted to Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir and Simon Wiesenthal of photographing concentration camps at the end of World War II. He even told Shamir he'd helped liberate Auschwitz. In his autobiography he wrote "by the time I got out of the Army Air Corps all I wanted to do--in common with several million other veterans--was to rest up, make love to my wife." But as Michael Schaller wrote in his book Reckoning with Reagan, "This obscured the fact that unlike most of the "several million other veterans," Reagan had left neither home nor wife while in military service.' "

 

 

Edited by: rover27 on Jan 12, 2012 6:33 AM

 

Edited by: rover27 on Jan 12, 2012 6:34 AM

 

Edited by: rover27 on Jan 12, 2012 6:36 AM

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...