Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Joan of Arc"...

FredCDobbs

Fred, that photo you posted is more accurate than the movie. After the film, Robert was quoting Ingrid Bergman in saying the movie was too glossy and unrealistic. Lol, no kidding, I expected a better roast at the end.

Noticed her face and hair after spending time in a dungeon? Looked like a casting call for Snow White. I thought angels was going to come down from heaven and carry her skyward.

If you want to see a very accurate representation of being burned at the stake, I recommend "The Conqueror Worm" (1968) aka "Witchfinder General" starring Vincent Price. No punches were pulled or fuel spared.

The main reason I would watch it is to catch a glimpse of Detroit hometown "hero" *Bill Kennedy*, a Hollywood bit player who was born in Cleveland Hghts., but settled in the Detroit area to host an afternoon movie show. He was always tounge-in-cheek about his "big role" as Thierache, the executioner in that movie. He did have roles in other films, too. One of the suitors in "Mr. Skeffington", one in "Destination Tokyo", and many "uncredited" roles. He also did the announcer's voice for the old "Superman" TV series. He was a well loved fixture in these parts. He would not only host the movie, but give other incidental info like the entire cast, AND director, tell any anecdotes related to the film, who wrote it etc. He also had a "viewer call-in" segment where he would often answer trivia queries asked by viewers. Never in charge of programming, he'd often give his opinion of the featured movie. "Here's your chance to take a nap!" "Keep a bucket handy for today's movie!" I would have done anything possible to get my hands on his beloved '57 T-Bird, which he kept like new until his death.

Sepiatone

Wow! Bill Kennedy! That really brought back some memories. I lived in Port Huron in the early and mid-70's and would watch Ol' Bill do those movie shows. I always got such a kick out of him. He was one of a kind. But I had forgotten about his "acting" career. I'll have to look for him next time I watch one of the movies you mentioned.

Oh, and if anyone's looking for a gruesome execution by fire, watch the first scenes of the recent film, Elizabeth, the Golden Age. It's a bit hard to take, but I imagine it's about as realistic as you could get.

And while I wouldn't be too much of a stickler about a detailed accuracy of the movie's portrayal of the subject, I do think it gets the historical arc (oops, sorry) correct.

Brian

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings