Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can not copy TCM Short and Movie's

Woodie

I just tried to copy the short that was on 01-12-12 @09:49pm CST and a message came up that coping was not permitted.

I tried the Movie that came on at 11:00pm cst and it also said that copying not permitted.

Anyone else having any trouble?

That sure is surprising. How are you trying to record it? If it's on something from your provider, that may be the cause. All the recording I do is on a DVD player hooked up after the box from my cable company. The only probelms I have are operator errors; that is, my screw-ups.

Looks like a "Copy Once" flag has been received on your DVR.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/243

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information

So far I've never encountered it over the cable/Directv sources but I guess its because I don't own a DVR ot TiVo (nor do I ever want to).

Just in case I ever get the *Copy not permitted* message from my DVD recorder, I still have my trusty old stand alone VHS recorder.

Regret now you ever trashed it. Old tech can be so wonderful.

What is the exact message you are getting? Is it from the cable source, or the DVD player? It seems difficult to believe that your cable box can distinguish between devices (a TV, say, or DVD player) downstream from it. That would mean that the device would have to send a signal to the box telling it what it is. Maybe you have locked that particular disk, or done something else inadvertenly. Try another disk and see what happens, or maybe you have already tried that.

Give us a little more info please. What make of recorder are you using? Is it new or have you had it for a while? Who's your cable provider?

The reason I ask is because we've had discussions about this issue before. First, TCM isn't doing anything to prevent anybody from recording anything. If they were, nobody on any cable or satellite service would be able to record and that's just not so. There are a thousands of us who record movies every day and never have a problem recording. Also, there's really no reason a cable company would do something like that either.

The problem seems to be with certain models of specific brands made by the same manufacturing company in Asia. Sony's name has come up a number of times. What seems to be happening is that the chip inside the recorder that normally prevents the copying of copyrighted commercial DVDs is for unknown reasons also preventing the recording some cable channels. Why it happens to some channels and not other seems to be a mystery.

If this is an ongoing problem you should check with friends and neighbors and see if they have trouble recording. While not doing it on purpose, it could be a technical problem with your cable company. If that's not the case try and borrow a recorder of a different brand and see if that works. Speaking for myself, I recorded thousands of movies on Panasonic and Toshiba recorders and never had one that didn't record. Others have written in say the same thing. Good luck.

My Sony DVD recorder is a terror when it comes to copy protection. I can record commercials and some short programs from FMC. All else on that channel is blocked. I can only infrequently record IFC and History International.

My only problem with a blocked movie on TCM was *The Scarlet Claw* some time ago. I was recording the entire series of Sherlock Holmes movies being aired and that was the only one which dropped out on my Sony DVD recorder on cable and my esso's Magnavox DVR and Toshiba DVD recorder on DirecTV.

There was a thread of it at the time because others also had the problem and I do not believe any definite cause could be determined.

have a Panasonic DVD recorder DMR-ES40V and I have had it for about 4 years. The message that

I received was "can not record a copyrighted program". I tried to copy 3 programs last night and received the same message. This morning everything is ok now.

I haveTime Warner cable. I also only have plain cable service, no DVR or HD. I have copied over 500 movies with no problem.

Thanks for all of the reply's to my message. I hope it does not happen again,because I only watch TCM

and some news stations.

You might be interested in this article

http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000310.html

You are not alone. Either your DVD is receiving the flag in error or your cable provider was sending it last night.

For movies that you think might be aired by TCM only once in a lifetime, its best to have your DVD recorder and an older VCR (made before this copy protection circuit was required by the government) both record the movie. If everthing works out on the DVD, you can always erase the tape.

If you get that error then you will have that VHS copy. You more likely will see that happen again.

This is the reason why TCM should rerun movies by the way some posters constantly complain about.

Woodie I have a Philips DVDR 3505 it's about three years old. No recording problems. My hookup is from the cable straight to the DVDR unit. This is the only television we have that doesn't have a cable box or an HD Recorder.

My problem with all the boxes was I could not make the right connections to make it record. Personel problem there. I have made about 200 or 300 recordings.

I only record what I want to keep. The rest of the movies are on the HD Box. I rarely watch a program when it comes on. As I'm usually doing something else.

It's very likely the cable company. Up until a few weeks ago, we had Direct TV. Never a problem recording any channel. We switched to ComCast Cable, the Xfinity package, and now most channels, all movie channels sans commercials, are blocked for recording. We have TCM HD *and* regular digital TCM. I can record the regular TCM, but I cannot record TCM HD. That message about cannot copy copyrighted materials pops up.

Just today, I was on the phone with ComCast with my complaint. They said they would look into it, but I know nothing will come of it. I have 6 days left to cancel and go back to Direct TV, and I told them that. I'm sure my veiled threat fell on deaf ears.

Now I gotta think about whether I really want to cancel and go back to Direct TV.

I have a 6 year old Toshiba with a built ib 80 gig drive so I can record,edit, & burn.

When I had Time Warner Cable, I could not tape from TCM HD without getting that "Copy Once" indication, but was fine in doing so from TCM SD. I also have no problems taping TCM SD with my current provider, Verizon FIOS.

FOX Movie Channel is another story. I had no problems up until last May with TWC. Afterwards, it started & even with FIOS, I still come up with it. :(

By the way, I live in Queens,NY.

I too had ongoing problems, figured it was deliberate on the part of FIOS since they want their customers to buy a DVR, and threw away my hundreds of blank DVDs (expected to transfer VHS tapes onto them) and holder, which no one wanted.

I also threw away my hundreds of VHS TCM movies (expected to transfer them to DVDs), which no one wanted.

Ahhhhh, progress.

Archived