Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ONE LIFE TO LIVE R.I. P.

As some of you probably know the ABC televison network has cancelled the long running Soap Opera series ONE LIFE TO LIVE after 43 years on the air. The final 3 episodes air the rest of this week. I have been watching/recording this since 1998 and I think it's probably the best soap ever on TV. I am very sad to see it taken off for another stupid reality show. I will miss the show greatly, and it is about my last link to commercial network Television after the C W Cancelled SMALLVILLE last year. Would anyone else care to lament their extreme hated of the ABC network here, and reflect on the series? I hope that their heads of programming are fired and ABC and Disney go completely Belly up! I sure wouldn't shed any tears if it happened. Serves 'em right!

I dunno, but it seems to have some relevance here-we all are so into TV we write about it. And many of us have been "in the biz".

I've noticed soaps disappearing too and the replacement is a plethora of "reality" shows. Although the "reality" shows still employ writers, directors & actors (costumers?) as well as lighting & sound techhies, it just seems the end of "creative stories" to me.

A perfect example of shifts in taste is the often talked about "Director's Playhouse" recently shown on TCM.

And I remember when soaps were considered sordid, pretty tame by today's RS standards. It's as if "creative" stories have been replaced with "Jerry Springer" stories....the lowest trash possible.

I certainly do not find anger, immaturity or swearing entertaining, therefore, I barely watch network TV. And OWN is the only channel I watch with commercials.

I dont think there will be any soaps in another 5 years. Ratings keep dropping and they are expensive to produce. Talk/reality shows are cheaper to produce even if the ratings are low. Has anyone tried watching a soap lately? The plots are so ridiculous.........the audiences are more sophisticated now and have other choices........

Edited by: Hibi on Jan 11, 2012 11:08 AM

Actually Hibi, it's the silly plots and ridiculous writing is WHY I enjoyed watching those soaps. Pure escapism. First, it was *All My Children* replaced by a cooking/lifestyle talk show. Now OLTL will be replaced by ANOTHER "lifestyle alternatives" show. Puh-LEEZ. Many people tune into the soaps to forget how drab their lives might be at the moment, and can get away from it for a while. maybe they don't WANT some hyper new-age babbler REMINDING them how much their life sucks, or some self important pouf telling them how to DRESS! Maybe they feel bad enough as it is?

Anyway, OLTL has a distinguished history. Spearheaded by the daughter of one of filmdom's better character actors( Erika Slezak), and the alma mater of actors Tom Berringer and Tommy Lee Jones. It once boasted the inclusion of long-time film worker like Philip Carey and Clint Ritchie, and even had Al Freeman in the cast for a while. Another alum was..ah, cripes! I forgot her name just now...the lady from "Who's The Boss".

Gonna miss it!

Sepiatone

I have no interest in watching any lifestyle/reality show. Thank God for cable! I have no experience with OLTL. I did watch Young and Restless for awhile but the writing and plots just got too much for me. I found myself ffing through 90% of the show.............

Sepiatone, you're thinking of Judith Light, who played Karen Wolek for several years. The demise of soaps is a disaster for movies, as an important training ground for young actors and technicians is taken away. Sometimes actors went on to have movie careers, like Tom Berenger and Tommy Lee Jones (billed as Tom Lee Jones when he was on OLTL). If you like the women's melodramas of the 40s and 50s, the soaps were their successors.

Agree completely, Sepiatone! Soaps are total escapism. I like the fact that on soaps, it's common for people to come back from the dead, age 15 years from one episode to the next and a character can be replaced by his "special" identical twin brother, who has a completely different face, voice and height. I don't want to be preached to nor do I always want "gritty realism" in my entertainment.

It makes me sad that a genre that's been around since the days of radio will soon be no more. I'll be surprised if General Hospital makes it to its 50th anniversary next year.

A lot of people will miss it but look at it this way, 43 years is a good run in anyones book. Regarding soap operas, imagine the talent it takes for script writer(s) to keep a story ongoing for that long of time.

If they need employment after its cancelled, I'm certain Hollywood could use them since their expertise seems to be in short supply nowadays.

This is from wiki:

*The American soap opera Guiding Light started as a radio drama in January 1937 and subsequently transferred to television in June 1952. With the exception of several years in the late 1940s when Irna Phillips was in dispute with Procter & Gamble, Guiding Light was heard or seen nearly every weekday since it began, making it the longest story ever told in a broadcast medium. With the cancellation of Guiding Light in 2009, the next oldest soap on television was the 54 year-old serial As the World Turns, which ended its run on September 17, 2010. This left General Hospital (1963) as the oldest remaining American soap opera.

In 2011, it was announced that All My Children and One Life to Live would leave television and move their series exclusively on the internet in 2012, effectively making them web series. However, it was later announced that because of economic issues with running daytime dramas on the internet, those plans were canceled.*

I have an idea for a soap opera, it has a bunch of people with dead end or hard to hold on jobs who can't find a date and watch TV at every available moment. It's called "No Life to Live".

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}This thread belongs on a soap message board. I don't see how it has anything to do with TCM or TCM's movies.

I've seen many threads on this board that have nothing to do with TCM or classic movies. However, I can make some connections between the demise of this soap and others before it and classic movies...namely, the many actors from the classic movies shown on TCM and elsewhere that worked in this medium...Phil Carey, Ruth Warwick, Farley Granger, and I could go on.

Anyway, *Gagman*, thanks for starting this thread. My maternal grandmother got me watching OLTL (paternal grandmother watched CBS/P&G soaps) and I'm sad to see it go.

To me this thread is just another rant from people that expect something for nothing. They want other people to spend their money to create content that will NOT make a profit or even worst lose a lot of money.

As I always do I tie this to jazz. Even here in So Cal, where many of the jazz musicians live, there are very few jazz clubs. Why? Because they cannot afford to survive. I cannot be upset that a jazz club closes because it is going broke. My friends and I have started house concerts. We get about 30 - 40 people willing to 'donate' $25 and we turn all of the money over to the musicians. We feel this is a win-win between the musicians and us (some great jazz musicians here in So Cal barely make a living with the older ones only living on SS).

I don't watch reality TV but those shows have fans. I say don't knock the media outlets, but instead the dumbing down of our culture. (of course I wouldn't say soap operas are anymore sophisticated than Jersey Shores, which makes this thread all the more funny!).

After my late Mother started having seizures in 1998, less than a year after my Father passed away I moved in with her to keep an eye on her. She was not allowed to drive, so I had to take her places. I recorded her long time favorite soap ALL MY CHILDREN every week day on Soap Net for her to see. ONE LIFE TO LIVE ran after ALL MY CHILDREN and I soon discovered it was a much better show. Mom got into it as well. So I stated recording that too. Thus I got into these shows while I was looking out for my Mother. So don't appreciate the sneid remarks. I strongly disagree that these soaps are just as dense as the reallity programs. That is far from the case.

I followed ALL MY CHILDREN up until about 2006. When Dixie Martin died from eating Poisoned Pine Apple Pancakes, that was all I could take. Worse story angle ever conceived of. After that I saw some bits and pieces of episodes here and there, but never really watched the show again.

*Gagman*, before AMC went off the air in September, they brought Dixie back. I never cared for her but she shouldn't have died in such a tacky way so I'm glad that mistake was corrected.

Soaps have given my smiles, tears, laughs, and a great deal of entertainment over the years.

"To me this thread is just another rant from people that expect something for nothing. They want other people to spend their money to create content that will NOT make a profit or even worst lose a lot of money."

Did you watch the movie Network last night? Commercial television does not care in the least if a show is good or bad as long as it makes a profit. There ARE too many ads on television these days.

> As some of you probably know the ABC televison network has cancelled the long running Soap Opera series ONE LIFE TO LIVE after 43 years on the air. The final 3 episodes air the rest of this week. I have been watching/recording this since 1998 and I think it's probably the best soap ever on TV. I am very sad to see it taken off for another stupid reality show. I will miss the show greatly, and it is about my last link to commercial network Television after the C W Cancelled SMALLVILLE last year. Would anyone else care to lament their extreme hated of the ABC network here, and reflect on the series? I hope that their heads of programming are fired and ABC and Disney go completely Belly up! I sure wouldn't shed any tears if it happened. Serves 'em right!

I think you miss the essential point: everybody's life is already a soap opera. Just take yours, add commercials and voilà!

> Jamesjazzguitar wrote "My friends and I have started house concerts. We get about 30 - 40 people willing to 'donate' $25 and we turn all of the money over to the musicians.

Sounds like a variation in the old house rent party concept of the '20s and '30s.

Cool! :)

In order for a business to make a profit they have to offer a service that the public wants. While I might believe most commercial TV shows are 'bad' (and I do) if a station makes a profit than that means the public likes their content. e.g. the Jersey Shores gets very good ratings.

I don't like commercials and therefore I do my best to avoid commercial TV. Most of the time this means that I have to pay directly for non commercial media, which is often more expense than viewing commercial TV.

I stick by my point: Those that wish to view content without paying for it directly (e.g. pay per view, HBO, buying DVDs) but also don't wish to view commercials just wish to get something for nothing. Those like me that reject commercial TV have many other options. Instead of ranting I recommend people peruse those options.

If TCM has to show some commercials between the great movies they show in order to break even or do other things necessary to create revenue (i.e. charge a monthly fee like HBO), I would understand it and if 'reasonable' I would pay up. If it becomes AMC, I would no longer watch it.

Although I haven't watched any TV soap operas in years I am still saddened by their gradual cancellations as it's another "end of an era" for me. I remember coming home from grade school for lunch and my Mom would be watching "Search For Tomorrow" followed by "Guiding Light". I still remember them as 15 minute programs with the organ music in the background and most of the activity either taking place in a hospital (it seems most of the people in those mythical towns worked in the hospital) or in the kitchen while drinking coffee and discussing their issues.

Once I went to college (I commuted each day) I got used to watching these soaps with my Mom

when I came home each day from classes. I remember watching the very last episode of "Search For Tomorrow" in 1986. At that time it was the longest running TV soap having begun in 1951. My Mom still continued watching "Guiding Light" until she died in the 1990's.

I can certainly understand how "gagman66" must feel with the cancellation of OLTL.

I don't watch any of the TV reality trash on nowadays. It really is a "dumbing of America". I can't understand why people get so hyped up over such no-talent nonsense people as Paris Hilton and the Kardashians.