Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ONE LIFE TO LIVE R.I. P.

gagman66 wrote:

<< So don't appreciate the sneid remarks.>>

OMG, if you are referring to the last line in my post, I wasn't in any way knocking "One Life to Live", I was only having fun with the title the way someone at Saturday Night Live or Carol Burnett would do.

The only soap I was ever into was Sunset Beach and that was short lived.

I think these networks started catering to the 16-40 (strange numbers but they are definitely running ads for people under 18 during these shows) with reality TV.

-People actually want to see the wives and girlfriends of athletes, mob heavies, musicians and businessmen shop, gossip, argue and fight.

-People want to watch a 900 lb man or woman eat grotesque amounts of food while talking about how they can't seem to lose the weight and they don't want to die -- before going into weight loss surgery.

-People want to watch a person that has been hoarding junk for years and can't walk into their house have a nervous breakdown when a psychologist asks them to throw out a 10+ year old Chiquita banana box with empty aluminum foil baking tins "that has sentimental value" to them.

-People like to watch people get violent when a car repo family business comes to take away their 90 day past due Audi

-People like to watch people in big cities get irate when they get a parking ticket or a boot on their car, or their vehicle is towed.

I could keep going. This is only SOME of the reality TV that is on right now. People watch this stuff, even buy the uncut DVDs of the seasons. Something to consider when you wonder why a network won't pay to clear the music rights to get a classic TV show onto DVD or why networks stopped doing movies of the week. Like someone else mentioned, many actors will have a harder time breaking through with all of this "unscripted" TV.

What passes for entertainment today is disgusting. What's more, almost every movie preview looks the same. Endless graphic violence, goofy looking CGI, terrible overly loud music, perverted loveless sex, and gobs of stupid explosions. It's like no one has an original thought in their head, or can tell a decent story. Many young people can't follow a storyline. They are to busy Twitting their friends.

gagman wrote:

>What passes for entertainment today is disgusting.

Illustrated by LoveFilmNoir's list.

We ALL agree we hate this, none of us watch it. Obvious someone does, enough viewers to fuel the fire & keep them coming.

I was amazed by a commercial I saw on the HISTORY channel of some fisherman show. The promo spot had so many "bleeps" I couldn't even tell you what it was about-except bad behaviour.

That's history?

>What's more, almost every movie preview looks the same. Endless graphic violence, goofy looking CGI..... (snipped)

Agree 100%

>It's like no one has an original thought in their head, or can tell a decent story. Many young people can't follow a storyline. They are to busy Twitting their friends.

You are SO RIGHT. I am amazed when I treat 14 y/olds to a movie. They cannot follow a plot, as if they don't even LISTEN to the dialogue.

That said, they very much enjoy the thin plot & endless gag classic films like Fuller Brush Girl & Road pictures. Maybe "plot" is kind of beyond some kids, they have to mature into it.

And those same teens are completely bored & disgusted by the "reality" shows too - TikiKid says, "That lady is sick. She needs help, not being on TV."

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

>

> Anyway, OLTL has a distinguished history. Spearheaded by the daughter of one of filmdom's better character actors( Erika Slezak), and the alma mater of actors Tom Berringer and Tommy Lee Jones.

>

Erika's famous father, Walter, had a bit on the show. Also, Jeremy Slate, who starred in many a western and biker flick, had a long-running role.

I watched this show from the first episode back in the late 60s, but stopped watching in the mid 80s.

When we pay for cable television we pay even for the most basic cable channels.

The cable companies set up packages depending on which services are requested.

I have basic digital that includes one or two movie channels.

Television existed for may years with 6 minutes of commercials per half hour of programming.

There is no excuse to add 3 to 5 extra minutes of commercials per half hour because it is a cable channel. I do think there is a certain amount of greed.

Why do cable channels have more commercials than network channels?

LOL. Midnight. I remember Search and Light being 15 mins apiece and the organ music! My grandmother and mother watched those shows (I remember Joanne Tate and Bert.......) I can remember prompters too when actors forgot lines (they were live, I guess).........Back in those days stories were character driven. Now it's over the top crazy storylines and bedhopping.......

Back around 1991, I was watching OLTL for awhile (and recording the episodes) when it featured Ryan Philippe as Billy, a young teen would came out of the closet and caused quite a stir in the town. Terrific gay themed storyline...Ryan, of course, is now a well-known star and a couple of years after his OLTL run, I actually chanced to meet him and got his autograph. Shortly afterward I met Roy Thinnes (at a Dark Shadows convention), who was on the series at the time. I mentioned I had just met Ryan, and Thinnes had nothing but high praise for his young costar.

I guess I don't understand what someone means when they say "There is no excuse,,,," associated with the practices of a private business. The so called excuse is because the business makes more money.

You think there is a certain amount of greed? Well of course there is. Sorry but in the economic system we have making a profit is king.

I hate the commercials as much as anyone else. Our only option is to find alterative companies to do business with, unless one wants the goverment to get involved (which I don't think anyone is recommending).

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Jan 12, 2012 2:35 PM

Having a picture in picture function and/or remote handy helps. I cant stand commercials (especially if there are 5 mins of them in a row) Sometimes I will toggle back and forth between 2 different programs and wind up watching both (tho not usually simultaneously there is some lag time where you can still watch the program after the other one if it is running) or I will just channel surf till the commercials are over.....

{font:Times New Roman}{font:}{color:black}Judith Light won 2 Emmys for* One Life to Live *and her courtroom scene was chosen by TV Guide as one of the 100 greatest performances in TV history. Not only this show but most of the rest gave many stars their first exposure to audiences and let many others extend their careers and get deserved recognition. The Tony nominations seemed to include at least one soap actor for their stage work each year until recently which was why I'd watch the ceremony hoping they'd win. {font}

{font:}{color:black}You bet this is a relevant thread! A lot of New York folks in the industry are getting pushed out of work and with the collapse of nearly all of the *Law & Order* franchises this does not bode well for them. Thanks, folks, for all you've done. {font}

{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

Edited by: wouldbestar on Jan 12, 2012 3:09 PM

I can't do that...I simply stay put and deal with it. I especially can't stand when someone channel surfs, trying to either find something to watch (especially when it's in the middle of a program) or surfing DURING commercials. My partner does that quite frequently...I've never understood HOW someone can make a choice based on a split second of a show flashing by on the screen.

Thanks kingrat. Judith Light, of course. Which ties into what someone else said about New York actors losing an outlet. Ms. Light often appeared on *Law and Order SVU* as a judge. My wife and I have often seen cast members from *All My Children* and *OLTL* in episodes of *Law and Order CI*, and *SVU*.

Krieger, Roy Thinnes was an original cast member when *General Hospital* debuted '63. After he left GH the only things I recall seeing him in was his TV show *The Invaders* and some "made-for-TV" projects. I don't recall him in OLTL, but I didn't see the soap from it's beginning.

Sepiatone

Some characters from OTLT are crossing over to General Hospital, (among them Todd, Blair and Star.) Maybe it will work out.

If you like soap operas you might want to check out ABC's *Revenge*. It's a definite heir to the nighttime soaps of the 80's, (Dallas, Dynasty, Knots Landing.) Madeline Stowe is amazing as the lead, (and now looks better than 80's era Joan Collins, less plastic.)